Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 06-08-2016, 22:54   #5446
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Maybe it only affects certain ports?
such as the one port that only works in modem mode
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2016, 10:20   #5447
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I meant ports as in 21, 80 433 etc It's a stupid term but we're stuck with it
Old 07-08-2016, 13:32   #5448
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

My boot-up disruption continues (almost a year now) and investigation seems to have entered a black hole despite assurances I would be kept up to date on progress.

The thread http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...2917052#M47374 seems to be ignored totally most of the time by VM, except when one of the staff pop-up and say they can only read the last post as "it's the way their system is set up".

They are also aware that the fault is common in my local area and beyond.

Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 13:51   #5449
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Kush. I figure that Livedrive FTP is the active variety. It uses Port 21. Using SH2 I never had to port-forward to get perfect streaming, even of Blue Ray film files as big as 30Gb.

With SH3 the largest files it will manage without slow buffering is 1.5Gb. I have forward the port to all house devices that use Kodi. I have also used an advanced config file within Kodi to allow it to use greater cache for buffering. I really believe it is the SH3 causing the problem even if my connection appears not to be dropping out.
Okay so...you can't really forward a single port to multiple devices, it doesn't really work that way - so I am not entirely sure what you've done there. IS there a better way to connect to livedrive than FTP? FTP is....less than ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I thought the problem only affected the SH3 when it was connected to certain UBR's (or whatever they're called these days)?
I've got my SH3 in modem mode, have done for months and it hasn't given me any grief at all.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 22:36   #5450
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Okay so...you can't really forward a single port to multiple devices, it doesn't really work that way - so I am not entirely sure what you've done there. IS there a better way to connect to livedrive than FTP? FTP is....less than ideal.

I thought the problem only affected the SH3 when it was connected to certain UBR's (or whatever they're called these days)?
I've got my SH3 in modem mode, have done for months and it hasn't given me any grief at all.
I forwarded a range which included 21.

I cannot account for the problems I am having, along with a good number of other SH3 users. ( The forums surely aren't lying.) Folk at CS mostly say that my case is their first. I get a feeling that the problem is being brushed under the carpet.

There is a mobile app for Livedrive streaming, which I am trying out. My T95 box for TV, the one I have been using for Kodi, is Android. It works for streaming, direct from the Livedrive web pages, but the quality does not reflect the original. A Blue Ray looks like SD. It is also cumbersome to use, having to switch my remote into mouse mode and back frequently.

Last edited by roughbeast; 08-08-2016 at 23:10.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 13:39   #5451
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I forwarded a range which included 21.
You can still only forward one port to one internal address. If you've forwarded a range, you've forwarded several ports to either the same address or different ports to different addresses. Either way, range or not, port 21 can only go to a single address.

Quote:
I cannot account for the problems I am having, along with a good number of other SH3 users. ( The forums surely aren't lying.) Folk at CS mostly say that my case is their first. I get a feeling that the problem is being brushed under the carpet.

There is a mobile app for Livedrive streaming, which I am trying out. My T95 box for TV, the one I have been using for Kodi, is Android. It works for streaming, direct from the Livedrive web pages, but the quality does not reflect the original. A Blue Ray looks like SD. It is also cumbersome to use, having to switch my remote into mouse mode and back frequently.
Hmmm, that's a shame. Does livedrive support any other protocols?
Old 10-08-2016, 18:32   #5452
Bofrok
cf.addict

Services: VM TV, Broadband, Phone and Mobile
Bofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really nice

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Appreciate any suggestions on the above spikes. It's something to do with my desktop pc as they only occur when I turn it on.

When they occur I get a brief period where I cannot connect to any web sites. Have run full virus scans - I'm using Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2016 and also using Zonealarm Pro firewall.
Bofrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 18:49   #5453
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Hmmm, that's a shame. Does livedrive support any other protocols?
SFTP WebDav

Just to complicate things Livedrive posted this yesterday. Now I'm wondering how long that has been going on for and whether or not I have been slagging off SH3 more than I needed to.

"9th Aug 16 - 15:31
FTP/SFTP/WebDAV: Performance issues

We are currently experiencing issues with the services that run FTP/SFTP & WebDAV, customers may see drops in the transfer speeds. Our engineers are in the process of investigating.

Please monitor this page for updates."

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bofrok View Post

Appreciate any suggestions on the above spikes. It's something to do with my desktop pc as they only occur when I turn it on.

When they occur I get a brief period where I cannot connect to any web sites. Have run full virus scans - I'm using Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2016 and also using Zonealarm Pro firewall.

Looks like Superhub 3 problems to me. Just a guess.
Old 10-08-2016, 19:01   #5454
Bofrok
cf.addict

Bofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really niceBofrok is just really nice

Quote:
Looks like Superhub 3 problems to me. Just a guess.
I should have said I'm on 100Mb so still on Superhub 1 but same cause I guess.
Old 10-08-2016, 22:24   #5455
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I should have said I'm on 100Mb so still on Superhub 1 but same cause I guess.
It looks very similar to the regular 30 minute drop out I had when I swapped to SH3. The solution, in the end, was to boost my power levels and 'reroute' my connection.

Time to call CS methinks. Also post your graph in the official help forum. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...unityHubForums You should get a response from VM techies there.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:20   #5456
Bofrok
cf.addict

Thanks for reply roughbeast when I get the chance I'm going to connect the laptop via ethernet just to see if the same thing happens before I take it further.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:41   #5457
Kushan

Stands to reason, if it only happens when the PC is switched on, the PC may be the one at fault.

Not entirely sure what PC fault would cause a graph like that though.
Old 11-08-2016, 16:56   #5458
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Stands to reason, if it only happens when the PC is switched on, the PC may be the one at fault.

Not entirely sure what PC fault would cause a graph like that though.
Quite.

TBB measures activity modem-side. Increased traffic initiated by your PC would show up. Drop outs are caused modem-side or actually in the network itself.

Could low power levels produce a periodic drop out when the system is put under pressure by a connected PC?
Old 12-08-2016, 17:21   #5459
Bofrok
cf.addict

I connected the laptop via ethernet cable and had no problems at all. Switched back to the pc, even tried swapping to the cable and port used with the laptop, and the symptoms started again as soon as I turned it on.

That's something I forgot to mention that it starts on boot-up, seems to occur approx every hour even if pc is idling, doesn't have to be doing any obvious tasks.
Old 12-08-2016, 18:52   #5460
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I connected the laptop via ethernet cable and had no problems at all. Switched back to the pc, even tried swapping to the cable and port used with the laptop, and the symptoms started again as soon as I turned it on.

That's something I forgot to mention that it starts on boot-up, seems to occur approx every hour even if pc is idling, doesn't have to be doing any obvious tasks.
Have you got something that happens periodically, like a scheduled review of cloud files by some client on your PCs?

The fact that the effect occurs only when your PC is on doesn't mean that the fault is with you. I would still bank on power levels. Call CS, especially if the drop outs are affecting your quality of service.