Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 24-06-2016, 12:09   #1
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Post-Brexit Thread

We could simply withdraw by repealing the 1972 European Communities Act and negotiate with the separate nations ,or we could use Article 50 and let the EU dictate the timetable .Since there is no precedent it is unclear how Article 50 will actually work and with Cameron resigning we may end up with a leader that doesn't favour using Article 50 to leave the EU

Advertisement
Old 24-06-2016, 12:40   #2
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Should the UK invoke Article 50?

I think we'll end up with a Norway style deal or won't invoke it
Old 24-06-2016, 12:41   #3
Anypermitedroute
Inactive

Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Anypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of Quads

or rebadge EU as the Commonwealth of Europe, suggests it has reformed and join that instead
Old 24-06-2016, 13:11   #4
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

its a two year process [i believe] so i see no point in delaying invoking article 50 why put off until tomorrow what you can do today ,i think a delay gives the opportunity for undemocratic and unethical practices to be invoked ,cameron said[promised] he would do it he should do it or go now.
Old 24-06-2016, 13:31   #5
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
its a two year process [i believe] so i see no point in delaying invoking article 50 why put off until tomorrow what you can do today ,i think a delay gives the opportunity for undemocratic and unethical practices to be invoked ,cameron said[promised] he would do it he should do it or go now.
It's not a question of putting anything off ,it's whether we should use Article 50 to exit the EU .Only the EU say we have to use it ,it is for their benefit not ours ,we could in theory simply change our own laws and then begin negotiations with other countries

Old 24-06-2016, 13:43   #6
RizzyKing

I think constructively we should use article 50 it means negotiations are for both sides I don't think now is the time to just withdraw this vote has shocked everyone article 50 gives everyone and everything time to calm down and regain some perspective. I do think article 50 should be implemented within two weeks maximum delaying it serves no purpose and if we can't resolve the various issues within two years more time is unlikely to deliver results.

Old 24-06-2016, 14:04   #7
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
It's not a question of putting anything off ,it's whether we should use Article 50 to exit the EU .Only the EU say we have to use it ,it is for their benefit not ours ,we could in theory simply change our own laws and then begin negotiations with other countries
why antagonise the EU there is a mechanism in place to facilitate our exit we should use it ,we should part on good terms .
Old 24-06-2016, 14:10   #8
jamiefrost
cf.geek

Services: V+, XL TV and Phone XXL BB
jamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
If we just leave would we not have trade with all other countries as per the WTO rules and then we would have to negotiate with each individual country while trading under those rules.

J
Old 24-06-2016, 14:14   #9
martyh

Quote:
why antagonise the EU there is a mechanism in place to facilitate our exit we should use it ,we should part on good terms .
The mechanism is skewed in their favour and is not designed for use as a bargaining tool .The whole idea of having the referendum is to take back control so it's rather ironic that to take back control we give up all the control to the other 27 nations ,and if we didn't want to antagonise the EU we shouldn't have held a referendum that effectively says their rules and regulations are complete bollocks and we don't want them

---------- Post added at 13:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefrost View Post
If we just leave would we not have trade with all other countries as per the WTO rules and then we would have to negotiate with each individual country while trading under those rules.

J
I believe that is the case .We would have to trade like most of the world does

Old 24-06-2016, 14:30   #10
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
The mechanism is skewed in their favour and is not designed for use as a bargaining tool .The whole idea of having the referendum is to take back control so it's rather ironic that to take back control we give up all the control to the other 27 nations ,and if we didn't want to antagonise the EU we shouldn't have held a referendum that effectively says their rules and regulations are complete bollocks and we don't want them

---------- Post added at 13:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:12 ----------

I believe that is the case .We would have to trade like most of the world does
sorry my mistake- i thought you started a debate Re: Should the UK invoke Article 50?
Old 24-06-2016, 14:38   #11
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

We should - but not until the Govt leadership is concluded.

Why?

we'll lose 3 or so months to no effect as we're now effectively leaderless. It won't hurt to wait a bit, not everything in life needs to be a knee jerk snap reaction.
Old 24-06-2016, 14:44   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
To be fair, it's not the orders of the EU, it's Article 50 of a treaty we are signatories to.

We will use the exit mechanism, because that's what it's there for. It's just a matter of when, and I think waiting until we have a new PM is sensible.

There is no rush. We need to get this right.
Old 24-06-2016, 14:54   #13
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
We should - but not until the Govt leadership is concluded.

Why?

we'll lose 3 or so months to no effect as we're now effectively leaderless. It won't hurt to wait a bit, not everything in life needs to be a knee jerk snap reaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
To be fair, it's not the orders of the EU, it's Article 50 of a treaty we are signatories to.

We will use the exit mechanism, because that's what it's there for. It's just a matter of when, and I think waiting until we have a new PM is sensible.

There is no rush. We need to get this right.
That's exactly what's required. We may live in an age when folks get upset when their phone takes more than a nanosecond to send a message around the globe but this is a time for reflection, to let the dust settle, lets the emotions calm down and then proceed in an orderly fashion.

That's what I expect from leaders in the UK and the EU and if they have any sense that's what will happen.
Old 24-06-2016, 15:32   #14
martyh

Quote:
sorry my mistake- i thought you started a debate Re: Should the UK invoke Article 50?
Yes i did ,that doesn't mean i have to agree with you .The problem with Article 50 is that once it is started it cannot be stopped regardless of whether we approve of negotiations or not .As Chris just said first we need a new PM and than their first decision is how to exit the EU that best serves the UK not the remaining 27 nations.If that means using Article 50 then so be it, but there are other alternatives

Old 24-06-2016, 15:41   #15
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Depends what they are planning. I've seen some people suggesting that this attempt to leave the EU is an attempt to get better terms for rejoining the EU. This is a possibility if they don't invoke Article 50. If they invoke Article 50, if my understanding is correct, there will be no option to rejoin the EU.

Do I think the government will rejoin the EU under any circumstances? I don't know. Most of Parliament appear to want us to have stayed in the EU, so maybe they will. The MPs that wanted to leave won't, I don't think they will, although several of them have shown they are perfectly willing to change allegiances (Bo-Jo being the major one).
Closed Thread