Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 20:04   #2311
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
C'mon, Harry, are we really going back to the Sky Atlantic debate, which is so last year! I have already given an explanation for what I said before, which was based on several reports which turned out not to have led anywhere in the end.

As for your last comment, see the link below. There's more where this came from but I think we should leave it there. I accept that you may disagree, but we don't need to resort to pedantry just because we have different views. I've read far more controversial and outrageous remarks on these forums than this, and they haven't been asked repeatedly to come up with facts and figures to justify their view. After all, this is a discussion forum.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...-scrapped.html

One last thing to press the point. You have stated previously that Netflix will eventually carry adverts. However, your view goes directly against what Netflix have said, but you haven't produced good evidence to justify your view. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting you to now start researching this to prove yourself right (although I suspect you will have some difficulty with that), I simply accept that this is your view.

I hope that clears it up, but anyway, let's move on.

[COLOR="Silver"]
Bless ya OB, I think you have crossed the streams with who are having discussions with..

With regards the Telegraph article (over a year old) it also highlights the BBC say more people support the license fee than before. But, lets ignore that article and try and find a more recent one to back up statement about the large amounts of anger towards the license fee. I don't go to work, the pub or the gym and see groups of people, irritated and red-faced talking about the rip-off that is the license fee.

With regards Netflix, yup, I do believe they will bring ad's to the service, and you are right, I can't produce much to back up my thoughts. Their owner said they were testing for ad's sometime ago and there was outrage. A couple of days later the CEO had to release a statement (backtrack) saying they would only advertise their own shows. Also, look at the price increases that have happened recently. Next year nextflix (with HD) is going to cost £2-£3 extra month for it's services. What will it cost in 5 years without ad's? Theone has also highlighted that HULU have an "ad-free" service, even though they run one ad through the show. Sky on-demand show ads, you have stated all4 have started running the odd ad. In the long term, no commercial business will be able to turn down the option to keep costs down through adverts.
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2015, 20:27   #2312
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Whoops, sorry - I had just read something on here from Harry and I thought this post was his. Apologies. :

No problem OB. I dislike adds as much as you, which makes your stance on the BBC rather puzzling to me.

Interesting that he final paragraph in that report conflicts with the rest of the article. Taking both into account, if correct (and both sides can manipulate figures in their favour), it seems to be around 50-50.

---------- Post added at 19:27 ---------- Previous post was at 19:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Sky on-demand show ads, .
Providing you watch on catchup, Now TV is add-free. You do get the odd couple of second channel ident. Sky obviously think that their Now TV subscribers are a bit thick and can't remember which channel they are watching
Old 02-12-2015, 20:49   #2313
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
No problem OB. I dislike adds as much as you, which makes your stance on the BBC rather puzzling to me.

Interesting that he final paragraph in that report conflicts with the rest of the article. Taking both into account, if correct (and both sides can manipulate figures in their favour), it seems to be around 50-50.

Providing you watch on catchup, Now TV is add-free. You do get the odd couple of second channel ident. Sky obviously think that their Now TV subscribers are a bit thick and can't remember which channel they are watching
I watch Now TV and after a (fair) few drinks, I might fall into that category!
Old 02-12-2015, 23:42   #2314
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post

I normally can't remember which channel i'm watching once the old jack daniels kicks in hehe
Old 02-12-2015, 23:48   #2315
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
I normally can't remember which channel i'm watching once the old jack daniels kicks in hehe
lol, you'd need that for most of the crap that they have on nowadays, that passes for "so called" entertainment, the majority watching that stuff are friggin bonkers!
Old 03-12-2015, 01:19   #2316
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Pringl...rts-Pass-offer

Free Sky Sports day pass if you buy two packs of Pringles for £2 at Tesco.

Info thanks to Chad.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:22   #2317
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
lol, you'd need that for most of the crap that they have on nowadays, that passes for "so called" entertainment, the majority watching that stuff are friggin bonkers!
Haha very true lol, i watch mostly netflix and on demand these days.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:52   #2318
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Isn't that what this is?
No, it's a single thread in which absolutely everything to do with streaming services and any related topics gets mushed up together, when it probably merits a whole separate board these days given how many services there are and how many people are using them.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:51   #2319
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

YouTube tipped to strike licensing deals for TV shows and films.

Quote:
YouTube is preparing to strike deals with Hollywood studios and television firms to bring films and TV shows to its YouTube Red subscription service.

The online video service is keen for its $9.99-a-month service to compete more directly with rivals such as Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, according to the Wall Street Journal.
Old 03-12-2015, 13:22   #2320
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
No, it's a single thread in which absolutely everything to do with streaming services and any related topics gets mushed up together, when it probably merits a whole separate board these days given how many services there are and how many people are using them.
What would you call it? I don't understand what it is you want to have separately. Are you suggesting 'Amazon/Streaming Services', 'Apple/Streaming Services', etc? That would keep the discussion relevant to those who have an interest in just the one provider, but a lot of these debates are about streaming services generally. Don't you think this would cramp our style a bit?

Views from others on this would be welcome, but I'm not really convinced.

steveh, you could always start the threads you envisage and we will see how well they are used.
Old 03-12-2015, 14:31   #2321
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
YouTube tipped to strike licensing deals for TV shows and films.
Here come the big players , I'm sure behind the scenes Apple are working hard on doing similar. Netflix and Amazon could have some real competition.
Old 03-12-2015, 17:57   #2322
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Here come the big players , I'm sure behind the scenes Apple are working hard on doing similar. Netflix and Amazon could have some real competition.
Apple are already working on a tv subscription service.
Old 03-12-2015, 19:34   #2323
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Views from others on this would be welcome, but I'm not really convinced.
Keep it all in one thread, currently use Netflix, Amazon and Now TV and I prefer everything together so that I don't miss anything
Old 04-12-2015, 03:39   #2324
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
Keep it all in one thread, currently use Netflix, Amazon and Now TV and I prefer everything together so that I don't miss anything
I've often (perhaps incorrectly) assumed that those who use streaming services use more than one provider.

I've created this poll to try and gauge the correct position:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...l#post35811333

I'd be grateful if anybody in this thread (as it's dedicated to streaming services) could take the time to vote.

Many thanks.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:46   #2325
love Virgin2013
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media VIP
love Virgin2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if Now TV are going to add anymore live channels anytime soon?
Closed Thread