Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

The future for linear TV channels

Old 21-01-2015, 14:22   #31
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
You can already do your suggestion , set a recording leave it 10 mins and watch time shifted fast forwarding the ads.

How can live sport be On Demand , I think your getting confused with live sport broadcast and being streamed online at the same time , this is already done by Sky Sports and BT Sport plus many others.
Streaming certainly works, but is there a technical reason why it can't work on demand? Similar principle to what you can do with a recording on your set top box.

Incidentally, you don't need to leave your recording for 10 minutes before watching it. You can watch it as soon as the title appears on 'My Shows' on the TIVO. You can also watch it straight away on the V+ from memory.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-01-2015, 15:00   #32
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Streaming certainly works, but is there a technical reason why it can't work on demand? Similar principle to what you can do with a recording on your set top box.

Incidentally, you don't need to leave your recording for 10 minutes before watching it. You can watch it as soon as the title appears on 'My Shows' on the TIVO. You can also watch it straight away on the V+ from memory.
As you can on just about every PVR , how would you fast forward the ads by this method though considering you'd be virtually watching live ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 15:20   #33
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Not if all the channels can be accessed only by on demand! In fact, you've probably just made the case for abolishing linear TV!
What?!

I appreciate you think you've been quite clever here, but I'm afraid you're going to have to spell it out for the sake of us dullards.

What incentive do TV channels that, by law, occupy the first five channel numbers on all broadcast platforms serving the UK, have to abandon those channel slots and simply become one streaming player brand among many?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 15:26   #34
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
[/COLOR] Ah, you are assuming that under the scenario painted that when a series like Broadchurch becomes available, you will be able to see every episode straight away.

However, I suspect that we will move to a new schedule each day for each channel, with a catch up facility (or maybe all programmes would move to the cloud for future viewing, replacing the need to record).

So each day, each broadcaster would list all the programmes that will be shown on that day, and from the appointed time would become available to view. This would be so much more convenient for people who do not view at conventional times (eg night workers and shift workers).

Linear TV may survive, I agree, but I think new ways of watching TV will become prevalent over time and the way we view now will seem pretty primitive.

The main issue will be how these programmes are funded in the future. It will be for the broadcasters to work out new funding streams, but I would imagine that subscriptions will bring the majority of the income for the commercial channels. This can be boosted by other income streams, such as programme sponsorship, advertising on programme guides, product placement, etc.[COLOR="Silver"]
BIB, So the broadcasters could list all the programs available on a daily basis, at a certain time. Sounds rather a lot like what happens now with EPG's and TV guides. If only there was a system in place which people who work shifts could shifts find a way to record a show and watch at convenient time for them. Oh wait, there already is.

Lets also say, I work a 5am - 8pm shift (not uncommon in food retail) and I do not get to see when Broadchurch becomes available to watch ahead of linear tv. I then go on the internet to see what is happening in the world and see a host of posts/stories about the show, all because I did not know when the show could be downloaded. What should I do in that instance, stay off the internet just incase my viewing pleasure is ruined? As it stands, if I miss Broadchurch, I know to steer clear of certain sites until I have caught up with it.

With regards to the other revenue streams, why would ITV want to risk crippling their revenue stream when it works well for them currently? What purpose would it serve them to offer their shows on demand with no adverts? What other revenue streams are available to them? Charity contributions? Bank loans?

Don't get me wrong, linear TV may well die off in the next 20 years, I just can not see it happening.

I love a good debate on here, but I think your argument is massively flawed. The TV companies have a good deal going for them, nothing is really broken with the system and I can't see why they would risk losing their revenue stream from adverts. Netflix etc will continue to be a nice luxury for those who can afford it and the two different ways of watch TV will stay exactly the same.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 13:46   #35
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
As you can on just about every PVR , how would you fast forward the ads by this method though considering you'd be virtually watching live ?
Not a problem on a BBC channel though!

I agree that if you were watching a programme 'live' on demand, you would have to put up with the adverts if the programme was provided by a commercial channel with ads. However, by watching it later, you could fast forward through them.

---------- Post added at 12:46 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
BIB, So the broadcasters could list all the programs available on a daily basis, at a certain time. Sounds rather a lot like what happens now with EPG's and TV guides. If only there was a system in place which people who work shifts could shifts find a way to record a show and watch at convenient time for them. Oh wait, there already is.

Lets also say, I work a 5am - 8pm shift (not uncommon in food retail) and I do not get to see when Broadchurch becomes available to watch ahead of linear tv. I then go on the internet to see what is happening in the world and see a host of posts/stories about the show, all because I did not know when the show could be downloaded. What should I do in that instance, stay off the internet just incase my viewing pleasure is ruined? As it stands, if I miss Broadchurch, I know to steer clear of certain sites until I have caught up with it.

With regards to the other revenue streams, why would ITV want to risk crippling their revenue stream when it works well for them currently? What purpose would it serve them to offer their shows on demand with no adverts? What other revenue streams are available to them? Charity contributions? Bank loans?

Don't get me wrong, linear TV may well die off in the next 20 years, I just can not see it happening.

I love a good debate on here, but I think your argument is massively flawed. The TV companies have a good deal going for them, nothing is really broken with the system and I can't see why they would risk losing their revenue stream from adverts. Netflix etc will continue to be a nice luxury for those who can afford it and the two different ways of watch TV will stay exactly the same.
As more and more people find other ways of watching programmes, including many who currently record first what they want to watch and then skip the ads, the revenue from advertising will decline anyway, and there will come a point where an alternative method of funding will need to be found.

Your logic is not quite right, because you have ignored the fact that you can already watch all your programmes through catch up, which is not peppered with advertisements. The TV channels have gone into this voluntarily, they can see where all this is leading.

Regarding the programmes being listed to start at a certain time, I put it this way to take account of the 'live programming' argument, but there is nothing to stop the TV channels from loading up all the programmes at the start of the day that could be viewed immediately, apart from the live stuff.

The arguments you make are fair enough, but they do not prevent the scenario I describe, or something like it, from happening. They are simply considerations that need to be thought through.
Old 22-01-2015, 14:15   #36
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Am I missing something here ? How can you watch something 'live' On Demand ?
Old 22-01-2015, 14:25   #37
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Am I missing something here ? How can you watch something 'live' On Demand ?
The same way as you watch something live (or near live) from your recordings, I guess.
Old 22-01-2015, 14:28   #38
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
you can already watch all your programmes through catch up, which is not peppered with advertisements. The TV channels have gone into this voluntarily, they can see where all this is leading.

They are online (apart from the BBC).
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 14:32   #39
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
They are online (apart from the BBC).
4OD is a nightmare for adverts when it works lol, demand5 and itv you can use adblock+ to get around the adverts though.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 14:34   #40
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
4OD is a nightmare for adverts when it works lol, demand5 and itv you can use adblock+ to get around the adverts though.
Well there you go, where there's a will, there's a way!
Old 22-01-2015, 14:52   #41
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The same way as you watch something live (or near live) from your recordings, I guess.
So not live , nearly live

Doesn't iplayer have a live restart button ? Not sure if its only on computer version.
Old 22-01-2015, 15:00   #42
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well there you go, where there's a will, there's a way!

Well, apart from 4OD

I see no point in putting Freeview channels on streaming only. The current over the air broadcasting is cheap and efficient and practical for the consumer, enabling time shifting and advert skipping.

If the commercial channels were online only, they'd make sure that Joe Public couldn't skip the adds, as that is part of the funding to make the programmes. Sure, people who visit forums like this would likely find a way, but they are an extremely small minority.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 15:10   #43
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Isn't this similar to what they do with the likes of Glastonbury coverage anyway?

I don't see the difference.
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 20:02   #44
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

A friend has just moved to Hong Kong. He can only get non-linear TV. On a 500Mb connection that costs £20 per month (1Gb costs a whopping £30!).
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 13:11   #45
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
So not live , nearly live

Doesn't iplayer have a live restart button ? Not sure if its only on computer version.
Well, you got me there, but we are only talking about the odd second delay, similar to the time lags experienced between different TV sets.