Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Phone disconnection woes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Phone disconnection woes

Old 30-03-2004, 08:55   #1
KbdNoOni
Inactive

KbdNoOni is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Phone disconnection woes

NTL disconnected my phone on Wednesday (24/03/04).

They have no idea why (all bills paid etc.).

After several days and numerous phone calls with people promising to call back (and not) someone actually did call me back.
I have been promised everything from a couple of hours to the next day, for reconnection. They're reconnecting me on Thursday (01/04/04)!
A whole week.

If I phone up about the TV I seem to be able to get an engineer out the next day (yes I know that they are probably different).

I wan't too unhappy about the disconnection.
I am unhappy with the poor sods in the call centre for the broken promises on people phoning back.
I am really unhappy about the crap service, the run around, the broken promises, the feeling that my custom is not valued.
I am angry with what seems to be poor procedures in escalating complaints.
I am really very angry about feeling completely and utterly powerless.

I have a very sick wife and really need a reliable service (and explained that to them).

I also have cable TV and cable modem: they can take the fscking lot and shove it.

Paul Hounslow
Reading, England http://www.triagonal.co.uk/pmh/
KbdNoOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2004, 09:02   #2
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Re: Phone disconnection woes

Hi, & welcome to the site.

That really is disgusting. I have a feeling (may be wrong) that all Telco providers have to provide by law a working telephone line (for obvious emergency reasons), & that there is no way you should have to wait a week-especially when it appears not to be your fault.

Did you get the names of any of the people that you spoke to?

Contact the MD for your region if you feel all your other efforts have failed.....

Mr Chris Slattery-Managing Director, South Business Unit
Telephone: 020 7746 4588
E-mail: chris.slattery@ntl.com

Good luck, & let us know how you get on.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2004, 09:08   #3
GazzaB
Inactive

Services: O2 ADSL Broadband with BT line and Freesat from Sky
GazzaB is a jewel in the roughGazzaB is a jewel in the roughGazzaB is a jewel in the roughGazzaB is a jewel in the roughGazzaB is a jewel in the rough

Hi Paul, I too cannot understand why reconnection would take so long in this instance.
As this is a previously connected line Ntl should be able to reconnect the line in office, there must be some technical reason why they can't do this or some complete incompatent has followed the wrong reconnection process!
If there is a lifeline requirement for the phone they should be pulling out the stops to get you connected, this doesn't appear to be the case here!

Oh yes and welcome!
GazzaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2004, 09:38   #4
KbdNoOni
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Hi, & welcome to the site.

That really is disgusting. I have a feeling (may be wrong) that all Telco providers have to provide by law a working telephone line (for obvious emergency reasons), & that there is no way you should have to wait a week-especially when it appears not to be your fault.

Did you get the names of any of the people that you spoke to?

Contact the MD for your region if you feel all your other efforts have failed.....

Mr Chris Slattery-Managing Director, South Business Unit
Telephone: 020 7746 4588
E-mail: chris.slattery@ntl.com

Good luck, & let us know how you get on.
Thanks.
No answer (so far).
Isn't that a suprise...
Old 30-03-2004, 09:40   #5
KbdNoOni
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzaB
Hi Paul, I too cannot understand why reconnection would take so long in this instance.
As this is a previously connected line Ntl should be able to reconnect the line in office, there must be some technical reason why they can't do this or some complete incompatent has followed the wrong reconnection process!
If there is a lifeline requirement for the phone they should be pulling out the stops to get you connected, this doesn't appear to be the case here!

Oh yes and welcome!
Ah, I forgot to say that the disconnection notice was on the 29 February (apparently) and that they claim to have disconnected me at the street!

Thanks for the welcome
Old 30-03-2004, 09:45   #6
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Can anyone else supply a number for Mr Slattery?

KbdNoOni-I would suggest that you at least email him, as his PA will see that mail the moment it arrives (shared mailboxes)
Old 30-03-2004, 10:06   #7
KbdNoOni
Inactive

Quote:
Can anyone else supply a number for Mr Slattery?

KbdNoOni-I would suggest that you at least email him, as his PA will see that mail the moment it arrives (shared mailboxes)
Thanks. Done.
Old 30-03-2004, 10:12   #8
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KbdNoOni
Thanks. Done.
Cool, let us know what happens.
Old 30-03-2004, 12:45   #9
KbdNoOni
Inactive

Thumbs up Re: Phone disconnection woes

Quote:
Cool, let us know what happens.
Well, I've just (~12:15) had a call back from Mr Slattery's PA.
She was very apologetic and promised to get Customer Complaints to call me back. They called about five minutes later. They were also very apologetic.

NTL are calling me now! That is at least some sort of a result.

Now we have to see what happens.

Only a little bit cross now.
Old 30-03-2004, 13:13   #10
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
Well, I've just (~12:15) had a call back from Mr Slattery's PA.
She was very apologetic and promised to get Customer Complaints to call me back. They called about five minutes later. They were also very apologetic.

NTL are calling me now! That is at least some sort of a result.

Now we have to see what happens.

Only a little bit cross now.
Good stuff-keep us informed.
Old 30-03-2004, 15:48   #11
KbdNoOni
Inactive

Well, we now have a phone.

Unfortunately it is a different number (our old second line before we got the cable modem).
We were also ex-directory and had CLI blocked which we don't have anymore.
Old 30-03-2004, 15:51   #12
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
Well, we now have a phone.

Unfortunately it is a different number (our old second line before we got the cable modem).
We were also ex-directory and had CLI blocked which we don't have anymore.
Oh dear.

What are they proposing to do about it, & why have they not given you back what you had, & more importantly-why did they remove it in the first place??
Old 30-03-2004, 20:54   #13
Simon Rochelle
Inactive

Simon Rochelle is an unknown quantity at this point

A telco does not by law have to give you any working service, i think the only one that does is BT, and thats provided they are able to provide service to you at a reasonable cost, e.g, the only time they wouldnt is if they had to lay several miles of cables in the outer hebrides or something.

It will also most likely be within the terms and conditions of your contract that they can terminate service with you at any time, without notification probably for no reason.

That then leaves them the cushion that if they do accidently knock of your service, they can spend as long as they like putting it back on, as contractually, they have terminated your last contract and so are not under any contract with you to reproivde service in a set number of days.

The best thing you can do is to breathe down there necks and upset the people on the other end of the phone constantly asking for escalations to managers until someone gets someone out the next day. I have a lot of experience with call centre work, and the best way to get results is just to upset people until they get sick of hearing your voice. Also, attempt to apply for compensation due to the 'hardship' this has caused you, maybe a months free line rental or more etc etc.
Simon Rochelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2004, 10:43   #14
KbdNoOni
Inactive

Smile Re: Phone disconnection woes

Well, I now have a working phone and my old number back!

Many thanks to everyone for all the help.

I would also like to that Rebecca(sp?) in Customer Complaints (I think) at NTL for being helpful, calling me back when promised, and most of all for sorting it out!
Old 31-03-2004, 11:58   #15
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Another Cable Forum Success story

Glad we could help.
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote