Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Speed issues

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Speed issues

Old 03-08-2021, 16:19   #1
KillerCroc1
cf.member

Services: Amazon Prime Video Netflix Discovery+ apple Tv and xbox
KillerCroc1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Speed issues

Hello everyone just wondering what you would advise as virgin have said my hub 3 has WiFi issues and Lan cable port issues and the ofcom team are now investigating as I'm getting 20KBPS not to reboot hub3 or reset for 30days that's how I got my speed back upto 380MBPS any advice on this situation and what to expect
Thank you in advance
KillerCroc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-08-2021, 19:49   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Speed issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCroc1 View Post
virgin have said my hub 3 has WiFi issues and Lan cable port issues
in my book that means the shub is screwed. Have they sent you a new one? Has a tech been out to check your cabling etc

Quote:
ofcom team are now investigating
sounds a bit extreme. I hope all other avenues have been exhausted

Quote:
any advice on this situation
i have plenty but i need to know what has been first because I can't believe VM haven't been able to resolve this. There are a clear series of troubleshooting steps to follow in order to diagnose the issue.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 19:57   #3
KillerCroc1
cf.member

they ran through all tests said the wifi has issues and the Ethernet ports have issues i asked them to replace got told no so asked for engineer visit they said the Ofcom team will try fixing it remotely and get back to me with a solution ( new hub) or leave penalty free

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

all cables are tight and the hub is in what virgin call a happy place
Old 04-08-2021, 23:04   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I feel like you are winding me up. Ethernet ports don't have issues so if you are having wired connectivity problems the shub has either had it and needs replacing or the problem lies elsewhere on the client (e.g. pc) with nic settings or drivers etc. Ofcom are a regulator and do not resolve technical faults and especially not remotely. They deal with customer complaints and enforcement of industry guidelines and best practise.

It would be very easy to diagnose the issue by asking a series of straightforward questions and VM could have easily sent a new shub out or engineer based on that. I can only assume they didn't (which is very rare) because they were unable to get any helpful and meaningful information from you.

Quote:
the hub is in what virgin call a happy place
you have made that up because that doesn't mean anything at all

Let's start from the beginning.

1) What device(s) are you using to connect to the shub. Is it one wired pc or are you using tablets and phones etc over wifi?
2) Why do you think you are only getting 20kbits? Have you run a speed test from one of the devices?
3) Has this just started happening recently or has it been like it for a while?
4) From your original post I assume you are on the 350mbit tier?

When you reply please punctuate or I will run out of reading patience very quickly.
Old 04-08-2021, 23:27   #5
KillerCroc1
cf.member

I'm not winding you up that is exactly what virgin media tech support told me and that only the ofcom team at virgin can sort this issue I find the situation mad myself
Old 05-08-2021, 20:15   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
I'm not winding you up that is exactly what virgin media tech support told me
I'll take you at your word and let you know that everything you say VM have said is absolute rubbish, isn't true and doesn't make sense.

For the benefit of anyone reading the thread who wishes to contribute this is the information the op has provided:

Quote:
: connected WiFi devices are my fire stick and mobile
: Connected eithernet devices are Xbox series S TV virgin 360box and pc
: Issue started a month ago
: How I know Im getting 20kbps speed tests like samknows as I have a whitebox
: Why in the heck would I post on here if I was taking the piss
: I posted exactly what virgin told me on the phone
:All wires are tight hub is in its happy place
Without looking at any diagnostic data and where the fault lies the first thing I would like to do is reliably ascertain what the problem is. The reason why I am confused is the logic behind it all. The SamKnows speed tests are direct to the superhub and don't touch any devices on your network so regardless of any wifi/ethernet port issues, the shub should still be receiving full speed across VM's network. If it isn't then there is either a problem with the shub, a problem with the line or a problem higher up the network. Either way, VM should have been able to deduce this and arrange a tech etc accordingly. The fact they haven't makes me think they think it is a problem on your network which they are not responsible for.

So, the first easy thing to do is forget about SamKnows and run two speed tests, one from your pc and one from a mobile phone if you have got one. I think you can do them on your xbox as well so that will help. On your pc you can go to https://www.speedtest.net/ and on your phone you can download the speedtest.net app. Normally we don't like doing speed tests on wireless devices because there are many variables which can contribute to poor wireless performance but in your case the bar is so low that anything ending in Mbits is going to be good.

To put things in perspective (not factoring in local congestion) it is peak time on a Friday evening and I am getting full speed so I would expect similar or close from anyone else.

From my PC

From my mobile The lower speed is a result of speed limitations on my phone and not due to router or wifi issues. I have included it to demonstrate what can be achieved over wireless and can obviously be used to establish what level of throughput can be achieved through the shub.

I would like to see the screenshots please from as many devices as possible, it will only take a few minutes. If the problem lies with your shub then your pc, xbox and tablet/phone should should all give a similar result whether good or bad.

Quote:
: Issue started a month ago
Has anything changed in the last month with regards to your network? Are any of fire tv stick, tv, pc or games consoles new?
Old 21-08-2021, 20:19   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

I am so flipping glad that after two weeks we haven't even be able to start the troubleshooting process and establish the most rudimentary of facts. Now you know why VM couldn't be bothered and said everything was fine.
Old 22-08-2021, 12:59   #8
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Hard wired, and our 200Mbps service is almost always like this.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vm.jpg (91.0 KB, 34 views)
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 13:02   #9
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I am so flipping glad that after two weeks we haven't even be able to start the troubleshooting process and establish the most rudimentary of facts. Now you know why VM couldn't be bothered and said everything was fine.
One can only assume that the OP, did the speed testing you suggested and hence decided to go quiet.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 13:28   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Hard wired, and our 200Mbps service is almost always like this.....
have you tried something more local rather than going over to Switzerland or the USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
One can only assume that the OP, did the speed testing you suggested and hence decided to go quiet.
and after all that there was nothing wrong
Old 22-08-2021, 16:55   #11
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
have you tried something more local rather than going over to Switzerland or the USA?
@switzerland ot the USA.

That speedtest site used to be in favour, but I always reckoned it bizarre to include continental servers in a multi-thread test. You can prefer the London server, but it is often offline.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote