Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wrong ITV Region

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Wrong ITV Region

Old 10-07-2020, 10:25   #1
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads
Wrong ITV Region

I've often wondered why I am recieving the wrong ITV region. It was noticable again on Good Morning Britain when they go to the 'news in your region'.

I should be getting the East Midlands region but I have the West Midlands instead. I want to know whats happening in Nottingham,Derby and Leicester not Birmingham,Coventry and Wolverhampton.

I always thought that the service was based on our post codes. My Virgin Media comes under Area 30. Does anybody else recieve the wrong region?
Old 10-07-2020, 10:46   #2
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads
Re: Wrong ITV Region

Is it because you are watching ITV HD?
Try ITV SD on 103
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 14:47   #3
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

More than likely because I always prefer to watch in HD.
I've set it to record tonights Central News on 103 so I will see what comes on.
Thanks for that Oliver,much appreciated.
Old 10-07-2020, 15:02   #4
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

ITV Central has two sub-regions - East and West. Both are in SD but only West is in HD.
So it doesn't matter what platfrom you have you will only get West in HD.

About half the sub-regions have the wrong HD version - because the correct one does not exist.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 21:55   #5
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to JMcB

I've noticed this on the VM go app
JMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:49   #6
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Yep, it recorded the news for the East Midlands
Thanks for your comments guys
Old 11-07-2020, 23:48   #7
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

didnt even know sub regions existed... are the midlands really that big for two sub regions? the north west is fairly big but i wouldnt expect two sub regions?
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:03   #8
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

In the old Central days there was Central East (Nottingham) and Central West (Birmingham) - BBC is still the same with two sub-regions for Midlands.

There is only one for the old-Granada region - but Meridian has three, Yorkshire and Anglia have two, STV has four!

If you get access to them you'll soon find that much of the 6pm regional news programme presentation is pre-recorded. You get the same presenter showing up at the same times doing different local presentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
didnt even know sub regions existed... are the midlands really that big for two sub regions? the north west is fairly big but i wouldnt expect two sub regions?
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 00:55   #9
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Spot on, a total waste of resources for a non event!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 10:00   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Spot on, a total waste of resources for a non event!
The subregions allow ITV to offer more targeted advertising. I expect they'd like to split Liverpool and Manchester, but it's not possible because they are both served by the same transmitter.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 11:59   #11
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

The counter argument, from the viewer's perspective, is that if the regions are too large the local news isn't that local.

For example, in Scotland the BBC hasn't got sub-regions, and as a result the news is Glasgow/Edinburgh-centric, much to the irritation of most of the population who don't live in them. Though STV News isn't much better at representing other regions as they don't devote much time to them, despite the sub-regions.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 12:58   #12
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The subregions allow ITV to offer more targeted advertising. I expect they'd like to split Liverpool and Manchester, but it's not possible because they are both served by the same transmitter.
Ah I see. How does that work with the regional tv? We’ve got liverpool live aka the judge Judy channel and manchester have their own channel I believe?
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 13:35   #13
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Ah I see. How does that work with the regional tv? We’ve got liverpool live aka the judge Judy channel and manchester have their own channel I believe?
Good point. It seems Winter Hill does do directional broadcasts for these. There's a Lancashire channel too. Didn't know that!
https://ukfree.tv/article/1107052513...tion_patterns_
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 16:11   #14
Richardr
cf.addict

Services: V6, Full House, Braodband
Richardr is an unknown quantity at this point

The East Midlands separation from the West Midlands for news was an IBA requirement back in the early 1980's, when ATV transitioned into Central - and followed complaints that ATV wasn't local enough, and where it was, it was Birmingham centric.
Richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 13:52   #15
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

A lot of the "sub-region" studios no longer exist (Nottingham for instance), so all sub-region programmes are made at the same centralised studios, one pre-recorded, usually by the same presenters, & then output at the same time as the live broadcast of the other sub-region.

This is where you get the HD issue, as only one HD circuit is available from each studio complex. Hence the pre-recorded programme can go out on the SD circuit to the intended sub-region & the live to the other, but the HD feed can only provide the live programme to both.

---------- Post added at 12:52 ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Good point. It seems Winter Hill does do directional broadcasts for these. There's a Lancashire channel too. Didn't know that!
https://ukfree.tv/article/1107052513...tion_patterns_
There are four to be precise.

Made in Liverpool (Winter Hill + Storeton Relay on the Wirral),
That's Manchester,
That's Lancashire,
plus the local Greater Manchester mini mux.

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallery...71&pageid=1867

Last edited by nodrogd; 16-07-2020 at 13:58.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote