Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New WiFi Router and Cat8 cable

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

New WiFi Router and Cat8 cable

Old 24-07-2020, 15:59   #76
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: New WiFi Router and Cat8 cable

my bad, I miss interpreted that. I read it as everyone was only getting 40% speed on average and max 60%. If that is area utilisation then there is plenty of juice to go around. As an fyi there is absolutely nothing wrong with speedtest.net and it has been the gold standard for over 10 years. VM can't diss it because speedtest.net isn't some dodgy 3rd party test site which is unreliable, they point you to VM's own speed test server on VM's network. There is one thing having a dodgy result if you leave VM's network and go to another 3rd party server. A bad result could be due to any number of things beyond VM's control but when you can't get full speed across VMs network to a server on their network then something is wrong. It is good logic and and good troubleshooting and for VM to speak badly of it is poor. Regardless of which tier I have been on over the years I have always been able to get full speed off speedtest.net and the only times I haven't is when there has been a problem (which is the entire point of it). My Android phones and tablets have always achieved full speed as well.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-07-2020, 22:17   #77
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to JMcB

I'm going to let it go for now because it's really starting to get my going and the Drs say that's not good for you.

If i leave it a week or 2 keep a note of when the network goes slow.

The Android bit seem to be to big to be true, the s7 was a very popular phone and we have 2 in this house and never had a a problem with them.

Last edited by JMcB; 24-07-2020 at 22:22.
JMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 01:53   #78
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

The engineer was giving you total B/s about your S7. All you had to do was turn it off and say " what's the problem now then?"
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 10:57   #79
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

There is (was?) a problem with band-switching on S7's which would cause them to lose Wi-Fi connection. A workaround was put into the SH3 firmware last year so that S7's would remain online using the original band. But it never affected the network.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 14:16   #80
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to JMcB

I did turn it off, it was all just more blag and bluster
JMcB is offline   Reply With Quote