Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Alan Turing becomes the new face of the £50 note

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Alan Turing becomes the new face of the £50 note

Old 15-07-2019, 16:32   #1
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Alan Turing becomes the new face of the £50 note

Excellent news as l am so glad this great man has been recognised.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/bank...te-nominations

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-...source=twitter
Old 15-07-2019, 16:36   #2
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Alan Turing becomes the new face of the £50 note

Ive tried shopping with a £50 note.shops just don't want to know ,so personaly i can't see the point in them.
Old 15-07-2019, 16:42   #3
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quite appropriate - no one will accept them, and if you find one, everyone immediately tries to change them...

<sarcasm mode>
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 17:45   #4
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Quite appropriate - no one will accept them, and if you find one, everyone immediately tries to change them...

<sarcasm mode>
... the try the 100 & 200 Euro notes I tried to use in Vienna at the weekend!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 17:47   #5
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Vienna's cool. Great city.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 18:16   #6
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
... the try the 100 & 200 Euro notes I tried to use in Vienna at the weekend!
I had no problem with using 100 Euro notes in Rome and Florence two weeks ago.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 18:23   #7
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I had no problem with using 100 Euro notes in Rome and Florence two weeks ago.
Stuff's obviously cheaper in Vienna!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 20:07   #8
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Shame it’s the £50 but I’m glad to see this nevertheless! He was a brilliant mind. Often thought how the UK would have benefited from his genius if he had been allowed to live. Disgrace what he was went through!He helped shorten WW2 by at least 2 years and then he was hounded to his grave!
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 20:28   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Ive tried shopping with a £50 note.shops just don't want to know ,so personaly i can't see the point in them.
I’ve never had a problem with them - I get quite a few as overseas guests staying in my B&B often get them from bureaux de change. If I spend them rather than bank them, they go in the supermarket or at a petrol station. Anywhere they’re most, or part of, the overall value of the sale. However I think trying to pass them in exchange for a pint of milk and £49 change would be taking the mick.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 21:01   #10
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
Shame it’s the £50 but I’m glad to see this nevertheless! He was a brilliant mind. Often thought how the UK would have benefited from his genius if he had been allowed to live. Disgrace what he was went through!He helped shorten WW2 by at least 2 years and then he was hounded to his grave!
Totally agree.

---------- Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I’ve never had a problem with them - I get quite a few as overseas guests staying in my B&B often get them from bureaux de change. If I spend them rather than bank them, they go in the supermarket or at a petrol station. Anywhere they’re most, or part of, the overall value of the sale. However I think trying to pass them in exchange for a pint of milk and £49 change would be taking the mick.
Many years ago, there was a spate of forged £50 notes in circulation. The people doing it would try to legitimise their money by using them to pay for an item and receive legal currency in return. It was less easy for staff to distinguish between an authentic note and a forgery, as they seldom saw a £50 note (this was in the days before anti counterfeit equipment was widely available).

As this led to businesses losing £50 a time for the sake of a small sale, many decided to stop accepting them and it seems that this attitude is still prevalent today.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 22:24   #11
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Pay for a fredo bar with a £50 and let them know whose boss is what I say.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 22:34   #12
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
You can't even pass a Scottish fiver as genuine around here.
Old 17-07-2019, 15:50   #13
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

<sarcasm mode>
The story of Turin's life, sadly.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote