Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Analogue Cable Memories

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Analogue Cable Memories

Old 17-01-2024, 17:36   #121
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
I dunno if I mentioned this but one thing I loved about analogue cable is The audio was MONO which really helped on Mono movies.......

The Breakfast Club in 1985 is Mono for example and I have that recorded from HBO and its goregous. Its amazing what I can hear in the background.. On the MCA tape I couldnt hear anything in t he background,the audio was horrible..........
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2024, 14:35   #122
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Analogue Cable Memories

On that point, from what people remember, were the analogue cable services offering stereo sound before terrestrial which started on the BBC in 1991.

What I do remember is that Bell Cablemedia offered a radio service, and this included FM feeds for the music channels, Sky Movies and Sky Sports 1. It also featured 5 Live and the other BBC and independent stations available in the area at the time a few megahertz higher than the actual frequency. The signal was plugged into the back of your hifi. I presume other cable companies also offered this.

I presume that satellite equipment was stereo compatable from day one.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2024, 15:26   #123
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

ComTel Oxford offer serveral radio channels which could be linked up to the hifi - MTV audio was available there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
On that point, from what people remember, were the analogue cable services offering stereo sound before terrestrial which started on the BBC in 1991.

What I do remember is that Bell Cablemedia offered a radio service, and this included FM feeds for the music channels, Sky Movies and Sky Sports 1. It also featured 5 Live and the other BBC and independent stations available in the area at the time a few megahertz higher than the actual frequency. The signal was plugged into the back of your hifi. I presume other cable companies also offered this.

ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2024, 22:26   #124
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:

The FM radio feeds were obtained from local FM broadcasts, hence the channel shift to a higher or lower frequency to avoid possible interference. MTV/Sky Movies/Movie Channel feeds were taken from analogue satellite sound subcarriers. When NICAM stereo TV services were introduced, the BBC/ITV/C4 terrestrial services could easily be transposed to the cable output frequencies. For the other satellite derived channels cable companies started fitting NICAM encoders to their headend modulators, again using the satellite sound subcarriers to source the stereo audio. I remember making several complaints in the early days of the NICAM services, as the engineers were sometimes a bit sloppy wiring up the encoders & would get the left & right channels the wrong way round.

Last edited by nodrogd; 20-01-2024 at 23:01.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2024, 22:04   #125
andrewshearman
cf.member

andrewshearman is an unknown quantity at this point

we had 2 boxes I had 1 in my room what was cable Exclusive channel and the computing channel ?
andrewshearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2024, 23:18   #126
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:

It was indeed and I had Bell CableMedia too. As soon as the cables were laid down my road, got it installed in 1991.
Old 14-02-2024, 23:19   #127
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewshearman View Post
we had 2 boxes I had 1 in my room what was cable Exclusive channel and the computing channel ?
The exclusive cable channel was Wire TV. I don’t recollect the computer channel.
Old 15-02-2024, 08:45   #128
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

For me, it was called Jones Computer Network or something like that. It was Canadian, like the cable co.
Old 15-02-2024, 08:55   #129
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
For me, it was called Jones Computer Network or something like that. It was Canadian, like the cable co.
Jones Cable UK - they were originally from Colorado (Jones Intercable), then JI had a partial takeover from Bell Canada (when they became Bell CableMedia in the U.K.), then BCM became Cable & Wireless Comms (I implemented/remedied the Bytel billing system 94-97 at Leeds/Harrogate/York, Watford, and Encom in London Docklands).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 12:12   #130
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Jones Cable UK - they were originally from Colorado (Jones Intercable), then JI had a partial takeover from Bell Canada (when they became Bell CableMedia in the U.K.), then BCM became Cable & Wireless Comms (I implemented/remedied the Bytel billing system 94-97 at Leeds/Harrogate/York, Watford, and Encom in London Docklands).
Hugh can you remember what year Jones cable hit Leeds? I took it straight away, back then it was a guy going door to door flogging it. I suspect it was 1994/5 but could easily be wrong. If it was pre Christmas 93 it must have been around longer than I realise.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 14:29   #131
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

There was some office set up work late in 1993, but the majority of staff started in 1994 - I joined them the first day they opened the Seacroft office (Monday 3rd January), as employee number 50 (then spent six months down in Watford).

The network build didn’t start until 1994.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 14:44   #132
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

I started with Nynex as an engineer whilst they were still building the switch in Warrington, as soon as it went live i had cable installed and have been on cable ever since. I have seen a massive amount of changes since then. I remember installing a local ISP with a 2Mb line via copper to be shared amongst their dial-up customers. At that time, they were getting the best there was.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer

Last edited by Sirius; 15-02-2024 at 15:36.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 16:09   #133
Horizon
Media Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Ah yes, all the billing system changes and changes and changes....those were the days.