Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Westminster Sexual Allegations

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Westminster Sexual Allegations

Old 07-11-2017, 16:39   #151
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM Phone : Sky Mobile : Sky TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Westminster Sexual Allegations

Perhaps the witch hunters are happy now.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2017, 18:25   #152
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Well I've noticed the tone in the media has changed quite a lot today. Naming names and 'Baying for blood' is all very well until some is spilled and regardless of what this guy did/didn't do his family certainly don't deserve this. I wouldn't be surprised if more don't follow, some who've done very little wrong.

I heard a guy on radio earlier. He'd called in to relate what'd happened to him. He'd been accused of a serious matter and the police had immediately taken away all his phones, computers for forensic examination etc. The 'investigation' lasted '16 months of hell' before it was decided that there was no basis to the allegations and the whole thing was dropped. He suffered terribly, lost his job, became depressed and suicidal and is still living with the aftermath of the whole episode. His accuser was never named and no action was taken against her...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:40   #153
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
A TOP aide to Jeremy Corbyn has reportedly been suspended over allegations of sexual harassment.

David Prescott - son of former deputy PM John Prescott - is said to have been suspended at some point in the past few days.

The exact allegations against Mr Prescott are not currently known.

He is one of the Labour leader's​ closest advisers, writing Mr Corbyn's speeches and helping to prepare him for Prime Minister's Questions.

He stood as a parliamentary candidate in 2015 and has failed in attempts to be selected for a safe seat.

The party has refused to comment directly on Mr Prescott's case.
Source

Another one bites the dust. This looks like it will run and run.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:54   #154
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Source

Another one bthe ites the dust. This looks like it will run and run.
Indeed there is quite a lot more sexual-harassment allegations to come out from what the PM and opposition leader were told late last week.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:25   #155
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
I heard a guy on radio earlier. He'd called in to relate what'd happened to him. He'd been accused of a serious matter and the police had immediately taken away all his phones, computers for forensic examination etc. The 'investigation' lasted '16 months of hell' before it was decided that there was no basis to the allegations and the whole thing was dropped. He suffered terribly, lost his job, became depressed and suicidal and is still living with the aftermath of the whole episode. His accuser was never named and no action was taken against her...
I think the police need to work on the speed of forensic examinations. There have been many stories of people being left in limbo for over a year whilst these take place.

I am not sure the case you are talking about as I didn't hear it but as for no action being taken against her it's important to remember that an unproven accusation is not therefore malicious or fake. We don't want a justice system where the accusation of a crime is either proven or the accuser is in trouble.

---------- Post added at 10:25 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Labour could well have handled the accusations better for all concerned here. It's still right though that accusers feel safe to come forward and their complaints are investigated and, so long as they didn't make it up, the accusers are not responsible for it.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 15:13   #156
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I think the police need to work on the speed of forensic examinations. There have been many stories of people being left in limbo for over a year whilst these take place.

I am not sure the case you are talking about as I didn't hear it but as for no action being taken against her it's important to remember that an unproven accusation is not therefore malicious or fake. We don't want a justice system where the accusation of a crime is either proven or the accuser is in trouble.

---------- Post added at 10:25 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

Labour could well have handled the accusations better for all concerned here. It's still right though that accusers feel safe to come forward and their complaints are investigated and, so long as they didn't make it up, the accusers are not responsible for it.
No we don't but what we have is a situation in which you, I our one of our loved ones can have their entire lives turned upside down (including their innocent families and loved ones) and even destroyed when there's no evidence at all. That's where we're at right now and have been for far too long with people even being named publicly. If we're going to take every allegation seriously then I'm afraid the authorities need to get their act together or take responsibility for the incredible damage done to those who were innocent. All too many of them. Time will tell whether Mr Sargeant did anything much wrong and if it turns out he didn't then maybe the powers that be will start to take this seriously. They're certainly not right now, in their clamour to support 'victims' they're entirely overlooking the accused.

Last edited by Osem; 08-11-2017 at 15:29.
Old 08-11-2017, 15:18   #157
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
No we don't but what we have is a situation in which you, I our one of our loved ones can have their entire lives turned upside down and even destroyed when there's no evidence at all. That's where we're at right now and have been for far too long.
Yes and we probably need to revise how we handle these cases. I don't know a lot of how these things are handled but it seems to me anonymity should be given to the accused until they're convicted or if a judge deems it in the public interest.

I think historically the rate of false accusations is very low and clearly a lot of people have been getting away with sexual assault for far too long though so we also need to be careful we don't fall back into that kind of environment.
Old 08-11-2017, 15:18   #158
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
No we don't but what we have is a situation in which you, I our one of our loved ones can have their entire lives turned upside down and even destroyed when there's no evidence at all. That's where we're at right now and have been for far too long.
Yes and we probably need to revise how we handle these cases. I don't know a lot of how these things are handled but it seems to me anonymity should be given to the accused until they're convicted or if a judge deems it in the public interest.

I think historically the rate of false accusations is very low and clearly a lot of people have been getting away with sexual assault for far too long though so we also need to be careful we don't fall back into that kind of environment.
Old 08-11-2017, 15:37   #159
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

What possible public interest could be served by revealing the name of the accused when they (I quote Osem here) "can have their entire lives turned upside down and even destroyed when there's no evidence at all."?

What possible public interest other than gossip could exist?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 15:51   #160
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
What possible public interest could be served by revealing the name of the accused when they (I quote Osem here) "can have their entire lives turned upside down and even destroyed when there's no evidence at all."?

In the case of historical allegations a case can be built up by more people coming forward to the police and their testimony being similar. If there are details to the assaults that show a pattern and those details were not public then the prosecution can use that in court. If Saville had been alive when it all came out then that's how they would have gotten him because in the end all these women had similar stories.
Old 08-11-2017, 16:00   #161
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post

Yes, maybe someone could explain that for us and what attention is ever paid to the impact on innocent families, children etc.

It's perfectly obvious that achieving political advantage is a key factor in much of what's going on here with regard to Westminster. In the current media feeding frenzy we're witnessing a great many people have been so keen to smear their opponents at every opportunity that they've overlooked possible skeletons in their own cupboards. It's very unedifying and says a lot about the sort of people some of our political masters are and what depths they'll plumb to get their way.

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 14:54 ----------

Quote:
In the case of historical allegations a case can be built up by more people coming forward to the police and their testimony being similar. If there are details to the assaults that show a pattern and those details were not public then the prosecution can use that in court. If Saville had been alive when it all came out then that's how they would have gotten him because in the end all these women had similar stories.
All the more reason for the media not to publicise the very 'facts' which could be used by others to make false claims. Let's be clear, that right now innocent people are being subjected to a process of investigation which leaves them being treated as guilty until proven innocent for very long periods of time with permanent damage to their lives, careers and finances. I don't see how that can be justified at all.

Last edited by Osem; 08-11-2017 at 16:04.
Old 08-11-2017, 18:09   #162
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yes, maybe someone could explain that for us and what attention is ever paid to the impact on innocent families, children etc.

It's perfectly obvious that achieving political advantage is a key factor in much of what's going on here with regard to Westminster. In the current media feeding frenzy we're witnessing a great many people have been so keen to smear their opponents at every opportunity that they've overlooked possible skeletons in their own cupboards. It's very unedifying and says a lot about the sort of people some of our political masters are and what depths they'll plumb to get their way.

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 14:54 ----------

All the more reason for the media not to publicise the very 'facts' which could be used by others to make false claims. Let's be clear, that right now innocent people are being subjected to a process of investigation which leaves them being treated as guilty until proven innocent for very long periods of time with permanent damage to their lives, careers and finances. I don't see how that can be justified at all.
I can see both sides of the argument, and I know that such investigations can be assisted by the publicity. However, they can also be hampered by publicity seeking idiots and those seeking financial compensation.

I think the rules need looking at again, and the name of the accused should be revealed only if a judge considered there to be compelling evidence to justify doing so.

Anyone accused of such a crime is very vulnerable the way things stand, because the old adage that you are found guilty only if the charge can be proved 'beyond reasonable doubt' seems to be watered down for these sorts of allegations.

However, the victims of these crimes are vulnerable too, because proving that someone committed a serious sexual assault is difficult, as there are normally only two witnesses.

I would have thought that the police should investigate such crimes carefully, using modern techniques, but they should not make assumptions either way until they have the evidence.

What happened in the Ted Heath case is an example of the deplorable standards of investigation that are taking place these days. It is quite disturbing.

Maybe a Royal Commission should be set up to review how these cases are dealt with. The Justice system doesn't seem to be fit for purpose at the moment, with people who are innocent being put through the ringer and often prosecuted, while too many victims don't get treated properly or have their complaints properly investigated. Omnishambles is the word that comes to mind.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote