Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moving cable modem before "house move"

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Moving cable modem before "house move"

Old 23-10-2017, 11:25   #1
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Moving cable modem before "house move"

If I was to move my cable modem before virgin media actually complete a house move their end what's the likelihood of it working and would It cause virgin any issues?

I know the new place was connected to the network at least until recently (previous occupant had VM)

I assume it would either work or be denied access to the network depending on if it falls under the same area or not (Same billing area, no idea if it's the same network area)
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-10-2017, 12:00   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Moving cable modem before "house move"

Probably won't work. No harm trying I guess
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 23:02   #3
nallar
Inactive

nallar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
If I was to move my cable modem before virgin media actually complete a house move their end what's the likelihood of it working and would It cause virgin any issues?

I know the new place was connected to the network at least until recently (previous occupant had VM)

I assume it would either work or be denied access to the network depending on if it falls under the same area or not (Same billing area, no idea if it's the same network area)
If on the same CMTS it'll work until the day you told VM the move takes place, then you'll need to get it activated again.

On a different CMTS probably won't work - haven't tried that.
nallar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 19:46   #4
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

It will be a different CMTS, will also be interesting what they do about moving my package given they don't do 200M/Gamer any more and the new area doesn't have 300/350 available (only 12DS channels)
Old 27-10-2017, 08:54   #5
kalleh
cf.addict

kalleh is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm guessing as long the account is still active it will work.
kalleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 12:13   #6
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleh View Post
I'm guessing as long the account is still active it will work.
As long as it's not going to cause any issues for the network I'll probably just plug it in and if it connects great if it doesn't i'll just have to wait until virgin complete the house-move process.
Old 27-10-2017, 20:33   #7
dragon
Inactive

Apparently they're going to send me some kind of moving pack for a self install which actually I prefer as it saves making sure i'm in for the engineer.
Old 27-10-2017, 20:48   #8
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Apparently they're going to send me some kind of moving pack for a self install which actually I prefer as it saves making sure i'm in for the engineer.
It's just a wire to connect from iso to the hub
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 21:49   #9
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
It's just a wire to connect from iso to the hub
Presumably an appropriate splitter to install the Tivo box as well