Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cut-throat razors?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cut-throat razors?

Old 25-02-2017, 02:47   #1
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Cut-throat razors?

Anyone use/used one?

Ever since my mid teens I've only used fixed-head blades and for the past 6 years or so it's more or less just been the Wilkinson Hydro 5. Although I have a beard I shape it a certain way (ie levelling off the cheekbones, shaving all my neck up to the jawline) but could never get the edges levelled and styled exactly the way I wanted as the Hydro has 5 blades which got in the way of being able to see if it was all neat. The rear razor on the Gillette Fusion just wasn't good enough to take much stubble off.

So I bit the bullet and bought a cheap cut-throat razor with replaceable double edge blades as I didn't want to spend too much if I couldn't get on with it. I watched loads of instruction and advice videos on YouTube before trying it out.

Well DAYM Daniel! The first time took a lot longer to get used to it but I'm really happy with it so far. More likely to be beginner's luck but I've not cut myself in the few times I've used it and now I can get the edges neat and exactly how I want them.

The double edge blades are cheap at about £2 or less for a pack of 10 to 15 (with 2 uses from each blade obviously) but I still have some vouchers left over from Christmas so I've decided I'll use them outright to buy a proper fixed head cut throat with a leather strop so I can keep it sharp myself and not need to buy a razor again.

Not sure I'll use it quite yet to shave my head with, I'll likely keep the odd Hydro around for that but I'm really sold on the cut throats now.

Anyone else?
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-02-2017, 07:53   #2
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Cut-throat razors?

Electric for me.
Old 25-02-2017, 07:58   #3
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post

Electric for me.
l suspect it will be bum fluff at your age though.
Old 25-02-2017, 18:17   #4
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

I would like to use a cut-throat but I view the ones with disposable blades as a bit of a cheat and can't be doing with stropping and occasionally having to resharpen a proper cut-throat.
Never did like the expense of the 3-5 blade cartridge systems either.
I've chosen the middle road and am using an old fashioned Japanese "Feather" brand safety razer with Feather brand safety blades.
I have shaved with my knives though
Old 25-02-2017, 18:22   #5
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
I would like to use a cut-throat but I view the ones with disposable blades as a bit of a cheat and can't be doing with stropping and occasionally having to resharpen a proper cut-throat.
Never did like the expense of the 3-5 blade cartridge systems either.
I've chosen the middle road and am using an old fashioned Japanese "Feather" brand safety razer with Feather brand safety blades.
I have shaved with my knives though
real men use a viking hand axe - i myself use a twin blade the very look of a cutthroat scares the crap out of me .
Old 25-02-2017, 22:25   #6
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Merkur futur razor with feather blades
Merkur silver tip badger hair shaving brush
Taylor of old Bond Street lime and grapefruit shaving cream
Alum block

Initial outlay not cheap but in the 7 years I've had it it's paid for itself many times over
Old 26-02-2017, 11:40   #7
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Merkur futur razor with feather blades
Merkur silver tip badger hair shaving brush
Taylor of old Bond Street lime and grapefruit shaving cream
Alum block

Initial outlay not cheap but in the 7 years I've had it it's paid for itself many times over
twin blade razor with 20 blades cheap as chips from lidl