Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help! Keeping track of college feedback.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Help! Keeping track of college feedback.

Old 27-09-2016, 13:10   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Help! Keeping track of college feedback.

Please bear with me.

Osem Jnr # 2 is now away at college all week and we're going to need some practical way of communicating with the staff there on a regular basis - several times a week I would imagine. Previously, when he was at school, we always used a contact book in which daily feedback was exchanged with the school's staff and any important events could be very easily highlighted by us to make them easy to find in the future. Although a bit long-winded at times, we found this to be very useful as it gave us a handy reference to refer back to when necessary. Bear in mind that sadly Junior # 2 can't give us his own feedback so we need to know, pass on and be able to access as much relevant information as possible on his behalf. We may have this option now but the situation's more complicated because there are 2 sets of staff to liaise with, the educational and residential staff, so maintaining separate contact books could become quite onerous and even confusing.

The alternative would be to use email which would have some advantages but would mean, I'm assuming, that we'd simply wind up with a vast number of email messages to wade through every time we wanted to look back at anything we didn't have a specific date for and couldn't easily highlight.

I know email messages can now be handled/accessed as conversations but is there a physical limit to the conversation size? If we were to go down the email route is there any easy way to save/mark/label messages to make going back through them to find something at a later date easier than simply having to read the whole lot?

I'm hoping I'm missing something really obvious and that some highly organised person out there can suggest a way to combine the benefits of a written contact book with the benefits of using email, without necessarily having to print every email and physically annotate it after the event. I suppose putting all the college messages in one folder would be a good start but we'd still just be left with either a huge conversation comprising many messages or a large number of single emails we have no way of annotating or labelling.

I hope I've set out the problem clearly because we'd really like to wind up with a detailed record of his time at college which we can look back on and easily refer to in the future.

TIA as always.

Ps if someone feels this thread would be better elsewhere, please move it. TVM
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-09-2016, 13:18   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Help! Keeping track of college feedback.

Our twins' colleges refused point blank to provide feedback to parents, citing "data protection" and "personal information security".

I think they actually meant "we can't be arsed"....

When our son started bunking-off after threats from islamist students, we were unaware for weeks!
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 13:43   #3
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

DPA is relevant - Osem Jnr #2 will have to give Student Admin Services (or the College equivalent) permission for them release information.

However, back to your OP - talk to the College Student Admin Systems staff, and explain your concerns (after OJ2 has given permission), and you will probably find they already have a process/system in place, as he won't be the first student in this situation.

If they don't, offer to work with them to agree something that could be the basis of a process, focusing on the benefits to them under the Equality & Diversity part of their remit, and how it could aid student retention.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 27-09-2016 at 20:52.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 14:25   #4
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Hi,

Just to clarify, the college are happy to exchange information with us and indeed have relied upon us giving them all the relevant information to enable them to assess him as eligible for the placement in the first place and obviously his wellbeing in his new environment. We've already exchanged emails with them about him but are just concerned that this might all become quite cumbersome to manage.

Last edited by Osem; 27-09-2016 at 14:29.
Old 27-09-2016, 19:06   #5
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Hi Osem, I have a similar problem and am managing it using my Google mail account.

<long winded explanation>

I directed all my mail from different accounts to a gmail account then I simply set up a main folder with lots of separate folders within it so that the emails are stored in date order under various other subcategories. The beauty of this for me is that if an email covers more than one issue I can store it under more than one heading.

For example I have a main Health folder within which I have folders for Hospital appointments, Consultant results, Drug Trials, GP referrals .... the list seems endless and I even have folders within these sub folders

One email in my Health Folder regarding my drug trial results is listed under Consultant, drugs, appointments and also in a folder that I have for pending issues.

It may sound a tad anal but I can usually lay my hands on any email within a couple of minutes and with them automatically being stored in date order means I can see the time line of any subject very easily.

Hugs to the Osem family who all seem to be thriving, Jo.
Old 27-09-2016, 20:31   #6
Osem
Inactive

I reckon that might work Jo and we could always periodically print the more important emails containing information we know we'll need to access in the future.

Old 28-09-2016, 11:14   #7
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

With Google you can set up addresses like osem+college@gmail.com so you can filter easily on these to a folder. So maybe you can setup
osem+college@gmail - normal correspondence
osem+collegeproblem@gmail - issues that need dealing with - share this address with those you work with on problems
Old 28-09-2016, 17:06   #8
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
With Google you can set up addresses like osem+college@gmail.com so you can filter easily on these to a folder. So maybe you can setup
osem+college@gmail - normal correspondence
osem+collegeproblem@gmail - issues that need dealing with - share this address with those you work with on problems
Another good suggestion I'll look into. Cheers.