Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ebay - advertising unavailable items

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Ebay - advertising unavailable items

Old 25-09-2016, 10:15   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Ebay - advertising unavailable items

I'm not a big Ebay user but in the last few months I've tried to buy an item twice and on both occasions been successful only to receive an email a day later with an excuse for the fact that the item is no longer in stock. The first time it was a bid on a single new item and the second was a 'buy it now' transaction and in this case the seller is still advertising the items and showing 4 as available. On both occasions the sellers offered alternative items which I didn't want.

It's not a major issue, just an annoyance really, but I don't like the idea that sellers are misleading people by showing items which aren't available as still in stock. Is there anything which can be done about this?

Last edited by Osem; 25-09-2016 at 10:31.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-09-2016, 10:45   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Ebay - advertising unavailable items

I have been watching an item for a week weeks now. It gets listed for a week, then vanishes just as the auction is due to end. Then it gets relisted for another week, oddly marked "out of stock" ?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 11:13   #3
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

been buying for years with no major problems -i always check feedback before i buy -a couple of years ago i bought a phone battery but later had an email saying this was no longer available seller had been removed .
Old 25-09-2016, 15:46   #4
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
been buying for years with no major problems -i always check feedback before i buy -a couple of years ago i bought a phone battery but later had an email saying this was no longer available seller had been removed .

Had that a couple of times.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 19:03   #5
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I rarely use ebay anymore, its kin of a last resort if I really cannot find an item anywhere else.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 19:24   #6
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Both the sellers in question are listed as big business sellers with good reputation (95% plus) so I'm at a loss to understand why this has happened twice now.
Old 25-09-2016, 23:09   #7
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

An explanation I can offer is one of two things.

1 - seller has multiple shop fronts, and the stock is shared across them all, if they got too many orders across all the shop fronts then they have to disappoint some buyers, I had a seller confirm this happened to me when he said he sold too many across amazon and ebay to fulfill orders.
2 - Some retailers advertise stock of the wholesaler instead of their own stock, so you place an order, and then they order from the wholesaler (this is also why sometimes delivery times can be quite long), sometimes the wholesaler doesnt actually have the stock so again the seller fails to fulfill.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 04:37   #8
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post

1 - seller has multiple shop fronts, and the stock is shared across them all, if they got too many orders across all the shop fronts then they have to disappoint some buyers, I had a seller confirm this happened to me when he said he sold too many across amazon and ebay to fulfill orders.
2 - Some retailers advertise stock of the wholesaler instead of their own stock, so you place an order, and then they order from the wholesaler (this is also why sometimes delivery times can be quite long), sometimes the wholesaler doesnt actually have the stock so again the seller fails to fulfill.
I think that is what is called drop shipping

https://www.shopify.in/guides/dropsh...g-dropshipping

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:57   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I have been watching an item for a week weeks now. It gets listed for a week, then vanishes just as the auction is due to end. Then it gets relisted for another week, oddly marked "out of stock" ?
I bid for the item again, but was beaten by someone else again.

This morning I get "another chance to buy" at the winning bid level.

Somehow I get the impression the vendor is bidding himself to push the price up, then offering it to the next highest bidder if no-one beats his bid.

---------- Post added at 10:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I bid for the item again, but was beaten by someone else again.

This morning I get "another chance to buy" at the winning bid level.

Somehow I get the impression the vendor is bidding himself to push the price up, then offering it to the next highest bidder if no-one beats his bid.

And it has been relisted minutes after the auction ended...
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 11:35   #10
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Both the sellers in question are listed as big business sellers with good reputation (95% plus) so I'm at a loss to understand why this has happened twice now.
Good reputation isn't 95% + it's 99 - 97% minimum, any less, walk away, it's not like there's a shortage of sellers.

We both buy & sell a lot on Ebay, with very few issues, you do need to see if a user has been around for a while and you do need to check their rating too.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 11:37   #11
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post

Judging by the format and wording of the messages from the 2 sellers, I have a sneaky feeling they are one and the same and I think option 2 may be what's going on.

Anyway I received a Paypal refund today but the same seller is still showing 4 available for dispatch within 1 day and an express delivery date as 28th Sept.?
Old 07-10-2016, 22:52   #12
Osem
Inactive

I think I've found out what happened. The same seller withdrew the items after I complained they were still being advertised and has now re-advertised the same item for about £100 more than I 'purchased' it for. I reckon they just withdrew the items from sale so they could relist them at a higher price. The familiar stock room error explanation I was given was just an excuse.
Old 13-10-2016, 09:33   #13
Niner
Inactive

Niner is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I think that is what is called drop shipping

https://www.shopify.in/guides/dropsh...g-dropshipping
Good explanation.
Niner is offline   Reply With Quote