Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Well, my cunning plan has gang afley, as they do...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Well, my cunning plan has gang afley, as they do...

Old 07-09-2016, 13:32   #1
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Well, my cunning plan has gang afley, as they do...

Ahem. To explain: I tried installing X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, one of my favourite games ever, on my laptop running Windows 8.1 - it wouldn't even try, as it's a 16-bit application and I was trying to run it on a 64-bit operating system. Oops.

Okay, I thought, try some kind of emulator; so I installed VirtualBox and a virtual version of XP. It works, but it's unsatisfactory because a) there's a lag between visual and sound effects, and b) the screen is still only 640 x 480...on a 1600 x 900 screen.

Thus was born the cunning plan: put together a minimal-spec setup and install Windows 2000 on it!

It went well up until yesterday, when I got the NUC (Next Unit of Computing) setup together (once I'd realised it wouldn't boot up because the RAM wasn't properly seated in the socket, duh!), that the plan went awry: it wouldn't boot from the Windows 2000 CD. It wasn't until I went into the BIOS that I discovered why:

These days, a 'minimal-spec' PC won't run anything less than Windows 7. The BIOS apparently won't accept anything except 7, 8 or Linux (though I imagine there's an upgrade for 10). Oh, dear.

So the plan's been somewhat modified: buy a copy of Windows 7 (32-bit version, duh!) and run the game's setup file in XP mode, and see if that works. If not, I'll try VirtualBox and/or DOSBox on it. I don't want to give up; I love that game!

Advertisement
Old 07-09-2016, 13:49   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Well, my cunning plan has gang afley, as they do...

I'd think DOSBox is probably your best bet on your current machine, before trying to build a new old one!
Old 07-09-2016, 14:30   #3
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

You can try GOG. They list that title for £7.79 including the "Balance of Power" expansion pack. Shown to work on Win XP, 7,8,10. I have Wing Commander, it runs with DOSBox on Win 10 and works pretty well. So you can probably get it to run with DOSBox yourself if that's how they did it.
Old 07-09-2016, 17:49   #4
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

I second GOG, £7 is sod all to have a fully working version of a game and support for when it doesn't
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 17:27   #5
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

Mmm, it's a bit late - I've already got the min-spec PC!

I'd never heard of this site. What have they done to the game to get it to run on modern systems?

Also - thanks again, guys! I've signed up and downloaded the game - as well as X-Wing Alliance!

Last edited by Anonymouse; 08-09-2016 at 17:35.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 18:18   #6
rhyds
Inactive

rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

What they do is bundle the game with all the emulation software it needs already set up. For example their copy of theme hospital comes with DOSBox included and its just click and play. Other games that rely on stuff like 3dfx or Glide 3D rendering will have a copy of nGlide included which lets the game run. There's also the money back guarantee
Old 09-09-2016, 08:21   #7
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Speaking of Theme Hodpital, I picked up a copy from GOG, how I was instantly taken back to my childhood
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:23   #8
rhyds
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
Speaking of Theme Hodpital, I picked up a copy from GOG, how I was instantly taken back to my childhood
Bloaty head!
Old 09-09-2016, 16:12   #9
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
Theme Hospital HD remake available here, you do need to have the orginal/gog version to make it work.

http://forums.corsixth.com/
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 15:38   #10
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Well, however they did it, it works perfectly, with only an occasional minimum of slowdown. I'm impressed. Thanks, guys - I've got my starfighter fix back!

I'm still going to set up the min-spec PC with Windows 7 and use it as a games PC, though.
Old 01-10-2016, 14:05   #11
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

Loved Theme Hospital.
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote