Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I'm in two minds about Vivid 200

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

I'm in two minds about Vivid 200

Old 31-08-2016, 16:33   #1
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Question I'm in two minds about Vivid 200

For a variety of reasons too complex and personal to go into here, I haven't had internet access for a while. Now things are sorted out, I can't decide what to go for. I was looking at Vivid 200 because a) I don't have, want or need either a landline or TV, and b) I'm planning to watch a fair bit of streaming video on Amazon Prime, Netflix or whatever, so I'd like it to be fast.

How reliable is Virgin cable broadband these days? Roughly what kind of speeds can I expect? My brand new laptop, the only device that'll be on broadband, is running Windows 8; the wireless adapter is Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 - I'm so out of date these days that I have no idea if this is a fast one or not. However, there are plenty of experts in these parts.

- oh, hang on, I'm an idiot - search for it on the internet and find a product brief, which I have now belatedly done. I can be a right prat sometimes. I'll have a read of the PDF and that should give me some idea...

Last edited by Anonymouse; 31-08-2016 at 16:37.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-08-2016, 16:56   #2
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads
Re: I'm in two minds about Vivid 200

I'd question whether you really need 200mb if it's just going to be you on a single laptop using it for streaming. For that purpose even 50mb is going to be more than fast enough for you, your streaming experience between 50mb and 200mb is going to be exactly the same.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 17:46   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I was going to say what Kabaal said. If you look at the small print when you see ads for stuff like Amazon Prime and Netflix on tv it says "minimum 2mbps broadband connection required". The VM ad for 200mbits shows a cross section of a house with parents watching tv downstairs and then children upstairs playing games and doing whatever else. The reason why they market it like that is because when you are looking at these sorts of speeds you only make the most of them in a multi-user environment. You streaming on your laptop is going to use 20mbits/sec, who and what is going to use the other 180?

If all you are going to do is stream/watch tv then I would suggest going with an openreach provider such as Sky. VM aren't the best when it comes to streaming and congestion and without going into the details of network infrastructure you would be far better off taking a top tier Sky package of 76mbits for £34/month. Look at the last option bottom right here (Sky Fibre Max).
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 20:58   #4
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...d-package.html

Have a look at this.
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 23:07   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

When they do the next price increase in February they should follow the same philosophy and increase all tier prices proportionately so that when they do the next round of uplifts all tiers can be realigned to 10:1.
Old 01-09-2016, 14:39   #6
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

Thanks, guys. Hmm. If I don't need 200M, I could go for a cheaper but still fast option. Granted I'll probably end up with a landline...but then again, who says I have to use it?

More thought and research are called for.

Having done a bit: re Sky Fibre Max - what's this '£75 prepaid MasterCard' business? I've already got a credit card (with a £6000 credit limit!).

Last edited by Anonymouse; 01-09-2016 at 14:42.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 14:46   #7
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

They give you a card loaded with £75 to spend as you see fit. Kinda a cash back thing but on a card.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 14:01   #8
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

So I could just spend the £75 and that's it? Hmm.

I'm a hopeless retro games addict, and the games I like won't run directly on modern systems such as my Windows 8 laptop - so I've decided to build a legacy setup. I did try VirtualBox, and it works, but there's too much lag between screen action and sound effects; it's distracting. Plus the game display's limited to 640 x 480...on a 1600 x 900 screen. You can guess from that how far back in time I'm going - all the way back to the 16-bit days, specifically X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter.

I always loved that game. So tomorrow I'm off to Scan to get some advice; I'm apparently a bit out of date re PC building, as all the hard drives are now SATA and not IDE, which is all I'm familiar with. I might even end up just buying a bare bones system; we'll see.

So that £75 might come in handy...

Thanks, guys!
Old 04-09-2016, 15:09   #9
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Sounds like you want something like my XP SP2 system with FX5200 graphics. This runs the original Doom 1, Quake, Heretic and other legacy games smooth as a cashmere codpiece.

But with a SATA 128G SSD, SATA 500G data drive, 1080P 27" monitor and maxed out RAM is still a usable day to day machine.
Old 04-09-2016, 16:33   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
[FONT=Arial]the games I like won't run directly on modern systems such as my Windows 8 laptop
right click the exe for the game, click on properties, compatibility, "run this program in compatibility mode for:" and take your pick. You may also need to specify some of the settings in the list below as well such as what resolution to run the game at.
Old 04-09-2016, 19:04   #11
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
I'm a hopeless retro games addict, and the games I like won't run directly on modern systems such as my Windows 8 laptop - so I've decided to build a legacy setup. I did try VirtualBox, and it works, but there's too much lag between screen action and sound effects; it's distracting. Plus the game display's limited to 640 x 480...on a 1600 x 900 screen. You can guess from that how far back in time I'm going - all the way back to the 16-bit days, specifically X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter.
VMWare Workstation is your friend, dude

Runs many instructions straight on the hardware via a simple wrapper, removing the lag you are getting from VirtualBox.

It comes with a 30 day trial, and while I couldn't recommend it being a VMWare Certified Professional I have no doubt that there are somewhat less legitimate options available.
Old 05-09-2016, 19:01   #12
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

I second VMWare Workstation. Been a user since Version 7, now on 12 and it's great. Not too sure about hardcore gaming, but for everything else, I can't knock it

There is also something lurking in the back of my mind about ESX Server, I think it can access the Graphics Hardware directly?
ESX Server is also free I believe?
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 15:26   #13
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by adduxi View Post
There is also something lurking in the back of my mind about ESX Server, I think it can access the Graphics Hardware directly?
ESX Server is also free I believe?
Yes indeed, it has GPU passthrough so the hypervisor passes everything straight to the hardware rather than virtualising it.

For something like this, though, running those older games it should be all good with VMWare Workstation, and ESXi will need dual-boot or a dedicated machine.