Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Do VM still take down Sky dishes?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Do VM still take down Sky dishes?

Old 25-08-2016, 20:58   #16
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age
Re: Do VM still take down Sky dishes?

when my parents when from Sky to Videotron (which became NTL, and later Virgin) they never touched the sky dish.

Similarly when we moved into this house, and got cable installed a day later, the NTL engineers didn't touch the BT phone line, just added their own, however, I think they did say that some engineers do use the existing internal BT fitted phone cabling, but they shouldn't really.
admars is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-08-2016, 21:08   #17
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
when my parents when from Sky to Videotron (which became NTL, and later Virgin) they never touched the sky dish.

Similarly when we moved into this house, and got cable installed a day later, the NTL engineers didn't touch the BT phone line, just added their own, however, I think they did say that some engineers do use the existing internal BT fitted phone cabling, but they shouldn't really.
NTL never touched or asked to take down my Sky dish, but I did tell them that I would still be using satellite as a back up (been useful twice when VM has gone down) and for the extra channels, so maybe that's why.

They brought the phone in completely separate to the BT socket.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2016, 21:13   #18
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
How would fibre be a new install over ADSL?

It would just use the same phone line/socket...
Having never really looked into any other BB suppliers, or how it works, i assumed to get the 76Mb that it says i could get it would be FTTP?
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 20:31   #19
That Guy
Inactive

That Guy is an unknown quantity at this point

By Law any telecoms provider cannot disconnect a BT line.
as for sky dishes as an ex service engineer sometimes we removed them out of goodness of heart, sometimes to get the sky+ stb as the hard drive can be striped and sold. a spare dish or lmb always came in handy if doing a freesat or sky repair on the side.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 20:38   #20
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

A few years after we left BT to go to Telewest there was work going on in the street that required them to take the phone pole down for a few days. After the work was done BT reconnected everyone still with BT but those with cable were never re-connected.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 20:44   #21
That Guy
Inactive

That Guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
A few years after we left BT to go to Telewest there was work going on in the street that required them to take the phone pole down for a few days. After the work was done BT reconnected everyone still with BT but those with cable were never re-connected.
Either BT or a BT contractor would have completed the works, they would only re-connect an active customer as a cost saving exercise. however a non customer would be entitled to a reconnect FOC.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 22:02   #22
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Either BT or a BT contractor would have completed the works, they would only re-connect an active customer as a cost saving exercise. however a non customer would be entitled to a reconnect FOC.
As I posted earlier, a similar thing happened to me.

If I went back to BT, would it be free then?

It might be easier than getting Sky to pay for it.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 19:35   #23
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

The only experience I've had of Virgin 'interfeing' with something not belonging to them was when an engineer tidied up my bt phone wires outside the house.
My sister when she switched from Sky to Virgin ,the engineer installing her tivo box 'kindly' offered to take her Sky box away for her! I was rather annoyed with them as he,in my opinion took advantage of her naivity.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 19:43   #24
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
The only experience I've had of Virgin 'interfeing' with something not belonging to them was when an engineer tidied up my bt phone wires outside the house.
My sister when she switched from Sky to Virgin ,the engineer installing her tivo box 'kindly' offered to take her Sky box away for her! I was rather annoyed with them as he,in my opinion took advantage of her naivity.
Under the WEEE directive Virgin technicians are obliged to take sky boxes for recycling if asked, also routers/hubs from other providers
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 23:25   #25
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Under the WEEE directive Virgin technicians are obliged to take sky boxes for recycling if asked, also routers/hubs from other providers
The impresion I got from my sister was that he offered to 'take it off her hands' and my thinking was that he wanted it for himself which could then be sold on ebay. If that wasn't the case then fair enough.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote