Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Get a hub upgrade on us. **Standalone Modems only**

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Get a hub upgrade on us. **Standalone Modems only**

Old 26-08-2016, 10:01   #16
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Get a hub upgrade on us. **Standalone Modems only**

These posts?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35851194-post31.html
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35851200-post33.html
Old 26-08-2016, 10:03   #17
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Not to doubt ignis knowledge, but the market dictates a hub nowadays. Personally I think it should be stand alone modem and routing sorted by the customer, but once one ISP says you get a shiny all in one box, 95% of customers think that's the future and it suits most people fine. In regard to 3.1, it doesn't use channels in the current context, but in basic terms it still bonds frequencies, just in a different way
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2016, 11:59   #18
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Not those ones Ben but thanks for the link. There is a post somewhere where Igni said what I said pretty much word for word.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 01:38   #19
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I have an excellent memory and i distinctly remember Igni saying it a few months ago when we were talking about docsis3.1 coming out and whether the shub could handle it. The conversation went something along the lines of 3.1 doesnt run on channels as we currently understand it, wont use a shub and we be a standalone modem service.
I have no recollection of that and apologise for my inaccuracy if I did.

There are no 3.1 home gateways yet however by the time VM come to deploy commercially there certainly will be.

Sure I didn't say that it would be a new tier of service as the original 100/10 product was?

---------- Post added at 01:38 ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
the only consolation is that when docsis3.1 comes out next year we are going to be getting a docsis3.1 modem and not a docsis3.1 shub.
I wouldn't be quite so definite that 3.1 will release so a product next year.

Aside from anything else there is quite simply no point. If BT do something exciting VM will use it to respond however there are no indications of BT doing something exciting.

3.0 is perfectly fine for beating BT in over 90% of the country for nearly the entire next decade based on current plans.

The only announcements have been group wide. In some territories Liberty compete with lots of FTTP networks offering hundreds of megabits right up to gigabit. In those areas 3.1 is a priority, not here where the telco is planning up to 300Mb to 40% of the country, with the average maximum in that 40% being 150-200Mb, and this by 2020. Their new FTTP plans will increase their coverage of that technology and hence gigabit speeds to less than 10% of the UK. VM are planning more FTTP than BT right now.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 08:47   #20
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I put two bits of information together for that sentence. I defo remember you saying 3.1 will be modem only and when I get some time later I'll have a quick search and see if I can find it. I strung the 2017 bit into it because that has been mentioned in numerous discussions and threads before that that is when VM is going start using it. I say using it that tan rolling out because like you have said, it may be a bit premature. I am assuming that there won't be a commercial rollout and they will perhaps be starting to do some tests with it.

Edit: I think I am half way there but it still isn't what I remember reading. I am sure it was back at the beginning of the year so I'll keep searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
I would go a bit further and expect a gigabit DOCSIS 3.1 service with the price tag and contract to cover the new modem to match.

Those modems can draw all the DOCSIS 3.0 capacity being used for the existing services along with at least one 96 MHz OFDM block all for them.

I see no value in DOCSIS 3.1 modems with tiers that are a half-way house. As long as uptake isn't high 750Mb can be done with 24 channels via DOCSIS 3.0. It would feel like a bit of a disappointment, a damp squib, to deploy 3.1 for anything less than a gig.

Although as a disclaimer people may really, really not like the upstream speed that will initially come with such a service. The current DOCSIS 3.1 deployments are using DOCSIS 3.0 upstreams, so 1000Mb down, 35 - 50Mb up ahoy.

Last edited by General Maximus; 29-08-2016 at 09:01.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 10:39   #21
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

I see.

No, I use modem as a catch-all for anything that connects to the cable network and chucks a broadband service out of the other end, not to indicate a stand-alone. I find it quite unlikely that VM will ever release a stand-alone modem again.
Old 29-08-2016, 23:22   #22
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
There are no 3.1 home gateways yet however by the time VM come to deploy commercially there certainly will be.
So this is what I get for assuming rather than checking.

http://www.arris.com/products/pace-g...s-3.1-gateway/

Quote:
Overview
The GD7205 DOCSISŪ 3.1 cable gateway from Pace delivers up to 32 bonded downstream channels with two OFDM channels, with speeds up to 4 Gbps. It also features up to 8 upstream channels, plus two OFDMA for flexible return path configuration.

The GD7205 also features a configurable mid-split at either 65 MHz, 85 MHz or 200 MHz.

This high-power 4x4 Mu-MIMO, Wi-Fi solution provides ultimate range for complete home connectivity, coverage and high speeds. Dual Band concurrent 802.11n (2.4 GHz) and 802.11ac (5 GHz). The product is prepared for future Mu-MIMO devices.

Using the latest optional MoCA 2.0 for throughput in excess of 400 Mbps to interconnect STB clients, gaming consoles, and other MoCA devices.

Full-Band Capture technology enables powerful measurement and diagnostic utilities, in both upstream and downstream directions, coupled with Pace ACS, for best-in-class maintenance, support and lowest TCO.
Old 30-08-2016, 16:38   #23
MacmillaN
cf.addict

Services: TIVO 500GB-V+ HD, TV Size XL +SKYSPORTS/MOVIES VIVID Phone Size M
MacmillaN is an unknown quantity at this point

I upgraded to 200mb through the SPEED UPGRADE AWHILE BACK.
Was sent a HUB2 AC, which is fantastic and appears to be working far superior than the HUB1.

I always like getting the newest tech, but sadly the web link appears to not have me within the system, more than likely because i have upgraded already.

I guess i will need to hold out a little bit longer, until VM actually provide a way to upgrade to the newest models effortlessly, maybe at that point the HUB3 will hopefully be more stable.
MacmillaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 08:10   #24
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Again, the link is only for those that have older standalone modems. The only Hub that might be included at some stage will be the old Netgear D2 hub (not the SH1)
Old 31-08-2016, 10:36   #25
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacmillaN View Post
I always like getting the newest tech, but sadly the web link appears to not have me within the system, more than likely because i have upgraded already.

I guess i will need to hold out a little bit longer, until VM actually provide a way to upgrade to the newest models effortlessly, maybe at that point the HUB3 will hopefully be more stable.
VM provide equipment customers need to access their service; sadly it's not a shop front where customers order the latest equipment online because they like the newest kit and never will be.

Upgrades offered like this will be due to the older equipment having compatibility issues and holding network upgrades back.
Old 31-08-2016, 22:13   #26
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacmillaN View Post
I upgraded to 200mb through the SPEED UPGRADE AWHILE BACK.
Was sent a HUB2 AC, which is fantastic and appears to be working far superior than the HUB1.

You won't see an improvement using the Hub 3 anyway, if anything the SH2AC is probably the best piece of equipment to have right now, while they work out the kinks.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote