Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Binary options trading

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Binary options trading

Old 13-08-2016, 14:52   #1
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Question Binary options trading

I'd never heard of this until I got a phone call from First Sovereign Group. I presume they want me to invest. They've sent me a beginner's guide to binary options (which I still haven't read yet), but I've done a bit of online research and come to the conclusion that it's a bad idea. Essentially it's gambling - in an arena about which I know virtually nothing.

I don't know jack about the stock market...and neither do most of the people who run it, I've always thought. One reason I've never gambled any significant amount of money is that I've never forgotten what Earl Dumarest said in Web Of Sand: "Haven't you learned the fundamental truth about gambling? That those who need to win never do?"

(We'll leave aside the fact that I've never actually had a significant amount to invest, and still don't!)

These guys seem to think I'm an 'investor'. Yeah, right. I'm paying into a pension scheme, I have an ISA, and I'm paying into a sharesave scheme - I work in a warehouse and over a third of my net pay goes on my rent and council tax. None of this exactly shouts 'financial wizard'.

I just thought I'd sound you guys out. Maybe some of you have dabbled.
Advertisement
Old 13-08-2016, 15:35   #2
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Binary options trading

Don't know anything about this but a couple of maxims:

If it looks to good to be true it probably is.

Never bet with money you can't afford to use.

Also I'd be very cautious about any cold caller offering an investment scam scheme.
Old 13-08-2016, 15:35   #3
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Remember - the value of your stocks and shares can plummet, as well as fall...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 17:39   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Just looked them up on Wikipedia, and it seems that Binary options are a form of investment that return a fixed amount, or nothing. As such, they can also be considered gambling, and I would argue more so than a lot of investment schemes, as some schemes do offer a variable return rather than all or nothing.

It seems there are also quite a few scams involving binary options.

Avoid, unless you like to gamble.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 01:05   #5
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Thinking of trying it, after the game version of it on android made it look quite easy.

Next step, either a "play money" account at one that offers it, or start at low level real money.

There are scams, the "countryname method" is just an affiliate scheme
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 11:11   #6
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Steer clear of anyone who cold calls offering so call investment opportunities no matter how flattering they are and how quickly they're going to be able to make you rich.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 20:01   #7
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Boiler room
Old 30-08-2016, 21:13   #8
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/bu...oser-v9l8v0mvw

From today's Times Business section
Quote:
The bet that will always be a loser

In the past eight months nearly £5 million has been lost in investment scams involving binary options, a form of one-way short-term gambling on currencies and shares. None of this money is likely to be recovered and there is little the authorities can do to prevent all but the most blatant fraud given that the products are unregulated.

At the sharp end of this growing scandal are a group of young men, and they are almost entirely men, preying on the young, the gullible and the desperate, promising them a better life and quick riches from the market-trading equivalent of a coin flip.

In fact you would have better odds of making money from betting repeatedly on the fall of a 50p coin than from binary options, where a sustained return requires a success rate of better than 55 per cent.

Look beyond these marketing men, though, and you find the real money, much of it originating in Israel and entering our shores via Cypriot passports. The Times of Israel has done great work exposing how the country has become home to dodgy firms, and Israeli and Cypriot authorities are attempting to crack down on these traders.

It is now up to the Financial Conduct Authority and the UK police to get a grip on the problem at this end. Binary options should be banned or subject to some kind of regulation, even if that means officially classing them as a form of betting and putting them under the eye of the Gambling Commission.

At least then promoters would not be able to present them as anything other than what they are, a punt — and a bad one at that.
Old 30-08-2016, 21:18   #9
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/bu...oser-v9l8v0mvw

From today's Times Business section
Entirely predictable but there'll always be those who fall for it no matter how many times these schemes come and go...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 15:37   #10
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

Hmm. Just as well I've told them I'm not interested.
Old 31-08-2016, 19:28   #11
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Hmm. Just as well I've told them I'm not interested.
Good decision.
Old 31-08-2016, 21:40   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Anyone who cold calls me (phone or doorstop) gets nowhere.

If I want something, I'll go and look for it, otherwise, not interested.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:52   #13
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Anyone who cold calls me (phone or doorstop) gets nowhere.

If I want something, I'll go and look for it, otherwise, not interested.
Exactly, as I say: I pull, you do not push.