Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Babylon 5 star Jerry Doyle dies

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Babylon 5 star Jerry Doyle dies

Old 28-07-2016, 18:34   #1
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Babylon 5 star Jerry Doyle dies

So sad to hear of his death as l have such wonderful memories of him in this magnificent iconic series.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/07/28/jerry-...abylon-5-dead/
Old 28-07-2016, 18:36   #2
swoop101
cf.mega poster

swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal
swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Babylon 5 star Jerry Doyle dies

so sad.
But a good excuse to watch the full box set again (all 42 dvd's lol)
swoop101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 18:38   #3
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

such a shame ,but by an amazing coincidence i have just started watching them again ,one of the best syfy series ever and well worth a reboot

RIP Jerry

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop101 View Post
so sad.
I'm on season 1 ep 6
Old 28-07-2016, 18:39   #4
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop101 View Post
so sad.
Yes we bought it several years ago thankfully when it was near enough half price.
Old 28-07-2016, 20:43   #5
RizzyKing

R.I.P Garibaldi such a shame to hear this Jerry Doyle was always happy to engage with B5 fans and was just a really warm and generous guy he also did a lot of work for numerous charities so sad to see another cast member go before their time .
Old 29-07-2016, 07:58   #6
CycoSymz
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview HD
CycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appeal
CycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appeal

Sad news. I loved Babylon 5.

RIP

I've got 2 GCSE's. 1 in Biology and 1 in Metalwork...If you want your cat welding then I'm your man.
CycoSymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 20:36   #7
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

O what sad news the guy was a great actor. RIP Babylon 5 star and may your journey be truly wonderful.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 23:37   #8
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I know it'll never be practical, so will never happen, but I'd love to see B5 in full HD on blu ray.

The ironic thing is that it's the special effects (which were the most futuristic part technologically) that would be likely to hold it back.

Let me explain that. In the 80s and 90s, most mid and high budget US shows were shot on 30mm film. This is why they can release shows like ST:TNG on blu ray and they look noticeably better than the DVD. This included many of the special effects shots, and the lot was transferred to video for editing and release.

The reason the special effects would be a problem? During the 90s, computer graphics at full hd quality were beyond the budgets of any tv show, so they tended to be rendered at standard definition.

I don't what format B5 was shot on, so the above may not apply.

Sorry to see Jerry go though.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 04:04   #9
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

One of my favourite shows, even the fifth season (well, it was ok).

RIP Jerry.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 09:57   #10
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I know it'll never be practical, so will never happen, but I'd love to see B5 in full HD on blu ray.

The ironic thing is that it's the special effects (which were the most futuristic part technologically) that would be likely to hold it back.

Let me explain that. In the 80s and 90s, most mid and high budget US shows were shot on 30mm film. This is why they can release shows like ST:TNG on blu ray and they look noticeably better than the DVD. This included many of the special effects shots, and the lot was transferred to video for editing and release.

The reason the special effects would be a problem? During the 90s, computer graphics at full hd quality were beyond the budgets of any tv show, so they tended to be rendered at standard definition.

I don't what format B5 was shot on, so the above may not apply.

Sorry to see Jerry go though.
Didn't they lose the original film as well ?
Old 01-08-2016, 00:35   #11
RizzyKing

Last i heard there was a community group working on improving the quality of the original film that was still around but that was years ago so likely came to nothing. I stillcwatch the series each year and prefer it over star trek as i found the B5 universe a lot more believeable in terms of humanity's progress then utopian star trek.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:50   #12
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

RIP..

and RIP for B5 as well..It had much better story lines than Star Trek has in recent incarnations.
Old 04-08-2016, 22:03   #13
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I own the full box set as well watched it when it first aired. They couldn't ever release the Bluray version as they would have to do all the CGI effects again. They also stated that the CGI effects were so intertwined with real scenes it would make it impossible.

Not just Rip B5 rip the Amiga as well as all CGI were done on these.

They are however supposed to be making a film Reboot according to the B5 facebook fan page but it's gone a little quiet at the moment
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 23:23   #14
RizzyKing

How i wish it was true Gavin if they could remake it and not mess with it I'd be over the moon but though rumours pop up often I've never managed to find anything of substance to back up the rumours. It was brilliant what the managed to do with the tech they had and apparently some of the sets are still on a backlot but again no proof of that.