Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New upgrade speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New upgrade speed

Old 27-07-2016, 20:17   #1
porsche001
Inactive

porsche001 is an unknown quantity at this point
New upgrade speed

Hi All
I have had virgin media bB for forever.
Since at least 2014 we have had 100mb. A week ago we received a retention deal. I have Just logged into our account and it said our area has been upgraded and welcome to your new upgraded super duper speed of 100mb broadband.....

Phone call to VM altho the guy was helpfull didnt know what it was all about

So after a bit of digging I found out that we should be upgraded to the 152, seeing as when we have had the 100 from 2014(at least)

Anyone got any ideas about where I go from now.I am obviously paying for 100, while everyone else in my area on 100, will be paying for the 60, assuming their upgrade has went through ok.

Thanks guys.
porsche001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-07-2016, 20:31   #2
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: New upgrade speed

No, by taking a Retentions deal, you become ineligible for the free upgrade to 150Mb.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 18:35   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche001 View Post
Hi All
I have had virgin media bB for forever.
Since at least 2014 we have had 100mb.......I am obviously paying for 100, while everyone else in my area on 100, will be paying for the 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
No, by taking a Retentions deal, you become ineligible for the free upgrade to 150Mb.

It depends how the deal was applied. There have been some dodgy dealings recently and rather than VM directly losing money and knocking £10 off your bill (as an example), knowing that the speed upgrades are taking place they have been changing your package to the tier below (reducing your price) and then giving you the free upgrade early.
So an as example, whereas before you was paying for 100mbits and would have been eligible for the free upgrade to 152mbits, you have opted to downgrade to 60mbits (or whatever it is) to save money and have received the free upgrade to 100mbits before everyone else. All this means is that if you want more speed in the future you are either going to have to go up a tier or wait for the next round of speed upgrades which will more than likely take you to 150mbits.
As another example, I have always been on the top tier and prior to February was on 152mbits before being upgraded to 200mbits. If I wanted to save money I could have downloaded to 100mbits knowing that I would be upgraded back to 152mbits.

The best thing you can do is sign into myvirginmedia and it will tell you what tier you are on (e.g. XL) and you can compare it to what you was previously on.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 22:37   #4
kangocartman
cf.member

kangocartman is an unknown quantity at this point

Having just read this I went on myvirginmedia and true enough it said I'd had a speedboost to 150, thing is, I've been on this since December last year.

So I rang 150 and spoke to offshore saying I wasn't happy with the innacurate notice on my webpage.

I also informed him my speeds very rarely hit the headline advertised but that could be down to congestion, he said I could upgrade to a SH3 for £9.99 delivery I rejected this saying if I went to retentions they'd waive that.

After a little back and forward conversation (and a chat with his supervisor) they're sending a SH3 free of charge to help whittle down my speed issues.

Some people may not realise and think they're getting a boost but in reality they're not.
Kc

Last edited by kangocartman; 28-07-2016 at 22:40.
kangocartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 08:14   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangocartman View Post
Some people may not realise and think they're getting a boost but in reality they're not
they are and further investigation needs to be done to see what the problem is. Have you logged into your shub and checked your config to see what you are provisioned for?
Old 29-07-2016, 08:50   #6
kangocartman
cf.member

kangocartman is an unknown quantity at this point

Just logged in and I'm still on the same speed as the last 7 months so no upgrade or boost for me .
kangocartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 22:57   #7
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

We found out today, that we were paying £30.00 per month. As a deal that we were on had run out. And paying the full price.

This is totally wrong.

BB for us is vital for us. But cn never understand why VM tend to restrict the usage during certain times.

When speaking with CS. all they tell us, is the fibre Optic cable can only take so much, therefore they restrict its usage.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 10:36   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
why VM tend to restrict the usage during certain times.
you aren't restricted at all on the downstream, it is only the upstream during evenings and weekends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
they tell us, is the fibre Optic cable can only take so much
wrong, it is actually the complete opposite. VM run a "hybrid fibre coax (HFC)" network and it is actually the coax which is the limiting factor. Yes fibre has its limits but there is no way you are going to reach them. As much as VM loves to advertise "a fibre network", most of the speed issues customer experience are local congestion issues and it is all to do with the fact that the your connection runs over coax and it is literally a shared connection with everyone else (i.e. the bandwidth is shared). Most of the time you won't notice it but during the evenings and weekends when everyone is home from school and work and on the internet then you might notice some slow down.

If you want more consistent speed (but not as fast depending what tier you are currently on) then you need to be looking at using an Openreach isp such as BT or Sky where the fibre comes right to your street cabinet. There is no stm in place (subscriber traffic management) and speeds are top notch all the time.