Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mystery Android download

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Security & Virus Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Mystery Android download

Old 11-08-2016, 18:16   #16
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Mystery Android download

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Smartphone Era, you'll see more Adware than viruses thus the harder detection from the lacking Android AV's

Naturally the reason is easy, infect phone, they click ads accidentally when they pop up randomly on the device = Profit. That's why people are so keen to do it. Can imagine how many people don smartphones now opposed to a desktop.

Desktops again are becoming a relatively 'fanboy' device, I have one because I love gaming but the more average users are using Android running tablets and IOS devices. So, you get my mother, whom owns a Smartphone running Android, who has absolutely no idea about the device or the OS, just that it 'plays' apps and she can use Facebook. She is the target for the ads.. as are millions of others.

If the infected App sits in a quarantined like state for days/weeks then suddenly triggers it's even harder to catch out without manually inspecting all apps as you've probably downloaded even more apps since then. They're getting smarter. Infected app installed > Ads pop up > Unistalled - Doesn't cut it anymore. Likely to see App installed > Dormant for X amount of days > You install more apps > Ads pop up > Faf on trying to locate the source.

Even legitimate apps do dodgy stuff to get a click from you. E.G, how many times have you went to click something only to have it move place on the screen? typically an ad cross or a menu that's moved and you've clicked the ad instead. That's deliberate now, it used to be random lag spikes on occasion when loading pages or apps but now developers have purposely done it.
Yes we had one of those dormant ones on an old phone. It was an app preloaded onto the phone which, after some months, started downloading 2 further apps which would suddenly appear and cause adverts to start popping up. Deleting the 2 apps would work for a few days but they'd then reappear. The rogue app could not be removed so the only way I found to control this was to disable it, leave the phone on and avoid using wi-fi. After I started doing this all the problems ceased.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2016, 20:37   #17
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
Re: Mystery Android download

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Yes we had one of those dormant ones on an old phone. It was an app preloaded onto the phone which, after some months, started downloading 2 further apps which would suddenly appear and cause adverts to start popping up. Deleting the 2 apps would work for a few days but they'd then reappear. The rogue app could not be removed so the only way I found to control this was to disable it, leave the phone on and avoid using wi-fi. After I started doing this all the problems ceased.
Yeah, those are horrid. only option to remove is to Root and force uninstall but if you ever performed a factory reset, they'd come back as they're embedded in the OS setup. Only way to fully be rid of them is to flash a new OS build like Cyanogen or other.