Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Arris cmts

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Arris cmts

Old 24-06-2016, 00:53   #1
HackedComputer
Inactive

Services: Virgin VIVID 200
HackedComputer is an unknown quantity at this point
Arris cmts

Apparently, Arris CMTS's aren't fully compatible with the new SH3s.

I've been following on their forums for quite a while now with a few people having various issues with loosing connectivity after around 30 to 45 Mins. Apparently it's the way it handles DHCP, and the fact it can take a while to re-issue a lease or something along those lines that makes the SH3 unhappy and disconnect.

I hadn't had the issue myself since I became a 200Mbps customer back in March, until tonight. Came back from a business trip in Scotland to find my SH3 had been loosing connectivity every 30 - 45 mins, I confirmed by looking at the BMQ Stats as well as verifying the logs within the Router. It's a damn shame, it's either something they've done on the network level or on the firmware. The thing is, I've left the SH3 in Modem mode and not in the mood to take it out to check which revision the firmware is on now.

I wish they had just stuck with Netgear to provide their consumer grade modem/routers. It's a tad annoying that Liberty Global has taken over, and it shows with the vast issues the Arris infrastructure has bought along.
HackedComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-06-2016, 09:14   #2
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Arris cmts

So on the one hand you're saying the Arris CMTS is to blame, while at the same time saying they should have used a Netgear hub. Which is it?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 09:49   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackedComputer View Post
Just to point out that Arris also make the Hub 3.0
Old 24-06-2016, 11:09   #4
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

I've been following on their forums for quite a while now with a few people having various issues with loosing connectivity after around 30 to 45 Mins. Apparently it's the way it handles DHCP, and the fact it can take a while to re-issue a lease or something along those lines that makes the SH3 unhappy and disconnect.

I hadn't had the issue myself since I became a 200Mbps customer back in March, until tonight. Came back from a business trip in Scotland to find my SH3 had been loosing connectivity every 30 - 45 mins, I confirmed by looking at the BMQ Stats as well as verifying the logs within the Router. It's a damn shame, it's either something they've done on the network level or on the firmware. The thing is, I've left the SH3 in Modem mode and not in the mood to take it out to check which revision the firmware is on now.

I wish they had just stuck with Netgear to provide their consumer grade modem/routers. It's a tad annoying that Liberty Global has taken over, and it shows with the vast issues the Arris infrastructure has bought along.
The device will answer to requests on 192.168.100.1.

The people experiencing the various issues with Netgear equipment would I suspect not agree with you.

Arris bought Motorola's cable business. VM have been running that kit since the initial 50Mb deployment.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 12:25   #5
horseman
cf.geek

horseman has reached the bronze age
horseman has reached the bronze agehorseman has reached the bronze age

Quote:

I hadn't had the issue myself since I became a 200Mbps customer back in March, until tonight. Came back from a business trip in Scotland to find my SH3 had been loosing connectivity every 30 - 45 mins,
It's a tad annoying that Liberty Global has taken over, and it shows with the vast issues the Arris infrastructure has bought along.
Well actually it's ironic that your having left Scotland after midnight on Referendum day that Mike Fries has previously subsidised REMAIN campaign by £700k that Scotland has regional overwhelming REMAIN vote but UK has tipped the balance to LEAVE instead?

Equally some of us have been trialling SH3 and Arris/Cisco/Motorola CMTS across various firmware combinations since Sept2015 without any REIN symptoms on Modem nor Router mode.

Doesn't help therefore that you haven't actually provided either the firmware version on SH3/Hub3 nor IOS version of Arris E6k CMTS either so your comments are as vague/ambiguous as this mornings Nigel Farrages (de)commitment to confirm £350M NHS funding now we've left EU as well....
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 15:47   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
The thing is, I've left the SH3 in Modem mode and not in the mood to take it out to check which revision the firmware is on now
Go to http://192.168.100.1 and click on router status top right, information and look at software version.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 00:24   #7
mmm
cf.geek

mmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about them

The SH3 has been doing this intermittently for as long as I have seen reports on it. At first I thought it was Sam Knows tests every hour, but it is more like 36 mins. Can't see it is anything to do with dhcp, the lan side Ethernet port flaps, and connected routers see a physical break. It seems to me as though the SH3 crashes and warm reboots. Just power cycling the SH3 can fix the problem, so various users have thought that changing router firmware and restarting everything fixes it - but the power cycle alone may have - until something happens which puts the modem back into this lousy mode.
mmm is offline   Reply With Quote