Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub2 Firmware Upgrade

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Superhub2 Firmware Upgrade

Old 07-07-2016, 17:02   #46
The PIT
Inactive

The PIT will become famous soon enoughThe PIT will become famous soon enoughThe PIT will become famous soon enough
Re: Superhub2 Firmware Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
So as you have chose to reiterate what I have already said I am assuming you are actually correcting a mistake I made in reading your post and you are saying that the laptop connected to the internet when the shub was in modem mode even though you said the draytek wouldn't work? That must be right because single devices requesting dhcp leases and double nating are mutually exclusive because in order for the laptop to get a wan ip either the shub has got to be in modem which means the only device doing any nat is the draytek if it was working and if it was then it is the draytek which would have the wan ip and the laptop would have a local ip provided by the draytek
Pretty simple.

Shrub was already connected to draytek on wan port correctly set to modem mode.

Maintenance by virgin so the shrub goes down. At some point new firmware gets pushed out either just before or just after the period of downtime.

Despite virgin media coming back up it fails to re-connect to the the draytek.

So either there is a problem with the Draytek or the Shrub

Clearly the Shrub is doing something as it's allowing the laptop to connect.

Use the spare draytek router to make sure the original draytek isn't broken.

Same result no connection.

So attach laptop and put it out of modem mode.

Now this where you seem to think it should be normal mode to connect to the router possibly????

As part of the test I wanted too see if the draytek would get an ip address in normal mode which it did so then I was double natted which I didn't want.

Put the hub back into modem mode and crossed fingers.

This time it came back up.

Remember the router will present itself to the Shrub as single device i.e single mac address so it should appear to the shrub just the same as a single laptop would. Therefore it should just get an ip address.

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
I think it's one of the provisioning oddities with modem mode vs router mode, as the VM network sees a different MAC address you need to reboot (or possibly just release the lease) to make everything work again.

Probably a legacy of the old old old system of only allowing one MAC address to connect to their network, so you had to clone the registered address if you changed router. This was back before they started pushing combined modem/routers.
Already rebooted both of them and the mac address remember wouldn't have changed in the meantime.

Clearly something got screwed slightly in shrub and swapping the modes unconfused it.
The PIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2016, 17:23   #47
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIT View Post
Now this where you seem to think it should be normal mode to connect to the router possibly????
No, you just didn't explain yourself properly in your first post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIT View Post
Already rebooted both of them and the mac address remember wouldn't have changed in the meantime.
Clearly something got screwed slightly in shrub and swapping the modes unconfused it.
It is possible that the new firmware reverted the shub back to router mode (it has happened to be before), when this happens it needs a reboot to establish it's connection with VM as router mode and modem mode use different mac addresses for the outbound connection with VM. Similarly, a reboot would also be required in modem mode for the same reason each time your switch a device on port 1 (i.e. your different draytek routers) so it can learn the new macs and sort out the dhcp leasing from the CMTS. Chances are that if you had left your original draytek in place, put the shub back in modem mode and rebooted both devices everything would have been fine.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 17:25   #48
The PIT
Inactive

The PIT will become famous soon enoughThe PIT will become famous soon enoughThe PIT will become famous soon enough

I had rebooted both devices prior and no dice. Hence further investigation.
The PIT is offline   Reply With Quote