Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Self install problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Self install problem

Old 28-05-2016, 15:30   #1
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts
Self install problem

Vm hub 3 and tivo...sent the wrong power lead for tivo it's for the v+ so will need to call them. Installed the hub 3 and called the number to activate only 1 hour later it's still not active even though the number called said it was all setup. Called the number again and it said we are still in the process of setting it up. Hub 3 setting's test says no net and now it's messed up the v+ channels.

How long should I wait for net to activate before calling them?
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2016, 16:35   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Self install problem

if you plug your old hub in and it works it means they havent activated it
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 16:38   #3
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

My Tivo has an external power supply and the mains lead plugs into that instead of directly into the Tivo. When I changed over from a V+ to a Tivo, I used the same mains lead as it saved me the bother of unplugging it was it was the same type connector.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 17:12   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

it might be the same connector but the current/volts/wattage may be different. As an example, even though the psu's for the shubs will "connect" to any shub, they actually require their model specific psu. If you use a shub1 psu for a shub2 you'll break it.

Anyways, I think you are normally looking at 4 hours on average for a shub activation. You can tell when it is activated by looking at how many downstream channels it has locked on to. Atm it will only be 1 and it will change to 8 when everything is up and running.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 17:53   #5
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

It's a standard mains lead. The V+ had it's own internal PSU and the mains lead plugged directly into the V+. The Tivo has an external PSU and the mains lead plugs into that and the cable coming out of the PSU plugs into the Tivo. Perhaps they are different setups for different models, but that's how it works with mine.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 20:03   #6
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I got the Hub 3 working after about 2 hours. it was a problems their end. As for the Tivo they are sending out an engineer on wednesday to replace the power supply seen as they sent the wrong one.

I asked if they could put the V+ channels back on but they said it was too late the transfer had already taken place over to the tivo. So I said to the father in law he would have to put up with the pop up on the screen every now and again telling him there was a problem until they get the tivo installed.

jb66 - the internet was for the in laws they didn't have it before so was no old modem to test this was a self install they sent. I should have realised that activating the modem and Tivo would have thrown out his V+ box so it seems self installs don't always go to plan. I don't understand how they managed to send the wrong power lead for the tivo
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote