Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ten 300 Mbps locations confirmed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Ten 300 Mbps locations confirmed

Old 23-05-2016, 20:22   #16
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts
Re: Ten 300 Mbps locations confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Jealous much? :P

Who are you to say what those people will do with it, just because they live in a small villiage?

There's far more to this than just the number of people served, for all you know there's a node right next to the village that would make the cost of deployment relatively cheap. For all you know, they're testing what the costs of a small village deployment will be in case it makes sense to target other villages instead of large cities. Maybe the small number is ideal for Virgin because it allows them to trial FTTP without having to serve thousands of people. For all you know, it's cheaper to deploy it to this village because there's a lot less red tape compared to some large metropolis.

Either way, they don't just throw darts at a map, you can guarantee that these 10 places have been picked for a reason.

jealous? give me a break I don't really care I have 200mb and I think it's overkill I only have it as the package deal worked out not much cheaper than dropping down.

But there is at least 3/4 of us at any one time on the net doing various stuff I don't use netflix but I think 100mb would be more than enough. At least atm

I wasn't saying what they can and can't do in any event only speculating a small village vs a town for testing purposes I don't have VM's reasons for doing it just having an opinion
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-05-2016, 20:50   #17
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
jealous? give me a break I don't really care I have 200mb and I think it's overkill I only have it as the package deal worked out not much cheaper than dropping down.

But there is at least 3/4 of us at any one time on the net doing various stuff I don't use netflix but I think 100mb would be more than enough. At least atm

I wasn't saying what they can and can't do in any event only speculating a small village vs a town for testing purposes I don't have VM's reasons for doing it just having an opinion
It has already been tested/trialed. It is now being deployed.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 21:08   #18
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleguy View Post
Papwoth was a trial, it wasn't based on customer demand, and penetration was pretty poor due to BT Infinity being in the area and VM billing system being a bit of an achilles heel as offers require a phone line.

If anyone with access experience will tell you, these areas they are building are within spitting distance of their existing network. I think cable my street enquiries have little influence in where they go. More a case of finding 2 spare fibres which are less than 1km dig from core network.
Wonder when the 10GPON they tested in Papworth will be going live.

I can see how the lack of a phone line in the RFoG areas is problematic.

The Leeds villages stuff involves more than a 1km dig from core.

I fully imagine the business case for enabling areas is way better when they are close to the core, so expressions of interest required are lower.

Or it could be a gimmick
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 22:12   #19
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleguy View Post
Papwoth was a trial,

And in the context of these thread and the comment made, the difference between a test and a trial is what exactly.

Quote:
these areas they are building are within spitting distance of their existing network.
no sheet Sherlock, they're not going to build 10's of km away from existing network.

Quote:
cable my street enquiries have little influence in where they go.
. Yes it does. There are lots of places nationally that are within building distance of the VM network. If there are guaranteed customers that's where they'll go first. You Obviously have very little grasp of what you trying to talk about authoritively.
Old 24-05-2016, 10:34   #20
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road

Not a great deal going on in North West England yet is there?
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 11:38   #21
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
Not a great deal going on in North West England yet is there?
Or Northern Ireland and London. Maybe that's because these areas are pretty well covered by VM compared to other parts of the country?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 13:09   #22
23prince
Inactive

23prince is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging bull View Post
My younger sister living in Wilsden will not complain at all!
Currently using BT wet string.

She probably will when it slows down in the evenings.Which I am sure it will no matter how it's delivered.
23prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 13:14   #23
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Services: Vivid 350?
JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23prince View Post
She probably will when it slows down in the evenings.Which I am sure it will no matter how it's delivered.
I have had 300 for 2 months now and I've slowed down under 250 4 times in these 2 months.
JordanTheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 14:51   #24
heardd05
Inactive

heardd05 is an unknown quantity at this point

how much do you pay a month for that service david
heardd05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 15:33   #25
23prince
Inactive

23prince is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTheToaster View Post
I have had 300 for 2 months now and I've slowed down under 250 4 times in these 2 months.
Which means you are one of the lucky ones in a good area. I've had 300 3 times since the start of May the rest of the time it's sub 50m, to throw context on it.

And yes - I am dumping it within the first 28 days.
23prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 15:46   #26
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The standard Money Back Guarantee and cancellation policy is 14 days, not 28 days.
Old 26-05-2016, 02:13   #27
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Or it could be a gimmick
Cynic! Though probably true.

They're doing a Google, milking the press in stages with winners of the golden ticket.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote