Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo noise & cross referencing questions.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo noise & cross referencing questions.

Old 22-05-2016, 14:56   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
TiVo noise & cross referencing questions.

Just discovered that if you attempt to record a programme that you already have in your recordings, it recognises this and asks if you want to play it!

Be careful though, if it has a programme with poor metadata and cannot decipher which episode it is and you ask it to record another episode with similar poor metadata, I think that it will incorrectly flag up a possible different episode as the same.

As the TiVo keeps a record of deletions (how long for??), does it cross reference requested future recordings to see if it has already been recorded, watched and deleted?

On two occasions, very briefly, I have experienced a short burst of audio noise (similar to the noise that you used to receive from the TV after it had closed down in the analogue days).

Yesterday, however, it carried on for ages and interrupted my programme. I'm not sure when it actually stopped as I turned the TV volume down, but it had gone when I turned up the volume again.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Could I have a faulty box? If it needs replacing, it would be better to do it ASAP before I lose any more recordings.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2016, 15:50   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TiVo noise & cross referencing questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
On two occasions, very briefly, I have experienced a short burst of audio noise (similar to the noise that you used to receive from the TV after it had closed down in the analogue days).

Yesterday, however, it carried on for ages and interrupted my programme. I'm not sure when it actually stopped as I turned the TV volume down, but it had gone when I turned up the volume again.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Could I have a faulty box? If it needs replacing, it would be better to do it ASAP before I lose any more recordings.
It may be a compatibility problem with your TV. Make sure your TV firmware is up to date (easy if it's got an internet connection, more of a pain if you have to use a memory stick). Also try setting the TiVo's Dolby setting to "Dolby to PCM"
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 23:34   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It may be a compatibility problem with your TV. Make sure your TV firmware is up to date (easy if it's got an internet connection, more of a pain if you have to use a memory stick). Also try setting the TiVo's Dolby setting to "Dolby to PCM"
Thanks.

I checked and my TV software was up to date, it's not happened since, but if it does i'll take a look at the Dolby setting that you suggested

Also been told that the TiVo will not re-record a programme that is in the deleted folder up to a maximum of 28 days??

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 24-05-2016 at 23:43. Reason: Deleted programme info.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 10:07   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Also been told that the TiVo will not re-record a programme that is in the deleted folder up to a maximum of 28 days??
It won't re-record any programme within 28 days, unless you set the recording option to "Everything".

Edit: On second thoughts it probably would if you set a one-off or manual recording.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote