Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is this a scam?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Security & Virus Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is this a scam?

Old 05-05-2016, 16:58   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Is this a scam?

This is currently doing the rounds of Facebook, with what looks to me like scaremongering.

I'm interested as to what those with more knowledge of such things than I do think about this.

Is it a scam, or at the very least not of much use for the money paid?

Thanks.

http://www.smarterweblife.com/1203/
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2016, 18:45   #2
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Re: Is this a scam?

Richard.,
I would NEVER go in for anything that you may hear of, or have pamphlets on.

There are so many scams going on out there, they are very professional about it.

In fact today, my 84 year old mother in law, was the victim of a scam. Luckily, nothing was taken.

But, we checked it out via another electric company. And was advised to call the police by the company.

If someone comes to my door trying to flog something, and its cheap - there is something wrong. And l close the door.

Through my job, l have seen so much heartache by scammers
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 13:40   #3
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

It's a VPN account nothing more, nothing less.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 14:04   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Thought so, but how does this protect people from identify theft etc?

Whether through a VPN or not, surely it depends on what information someone types in
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 15:37   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
Richard.,
I would NEVER go in for anything that you may hear of, or have pamphlets on.

There are so many scams going on out there, they are very professional about it.
The trouble is, a lot of people only seem to check if any pamphlets look professional and the company has a decent looking website.

Why is this a problem? Anyone who has a copy of Word that they are halfway competent with could knock up a professional looking pamphlet, take it to a local print shop and run off several thousand copies for a few pounds.

While most people probably couldn't knock their own website (although it's actually fairly easy), most domain hosting services have some sort of template site people can copy and adapt. So, they can set up a professional looking site in minutes.. Again, it costs a few pounds to set up, plus a few pounds a month for bandwidth. Send out 1,000 pamphlets and if as little as a few dozen people fall for it (which is actually likely), you are in profit.

Add an email spam campaign, where you can send emails to a few million people for a few pounds, and you increase your profit exponentially.

My Advice?

I recommend people do a Google search for the company name. While these companies are often good at jigging the results so their websites appear near the top of the results, more often than not, in the first couple of pages of results, you'll find at least one site complaining about the scam, if it is a scam..

If a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 20:24   #6
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

I just search for this:

http://windowsforums.org/topic/10945...acebook-users/
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:16   #7
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
And I searched this.

http://www.thetop10bestvpn.com/reviews/saferweb-review

and this

http://www.vpnranks.com/saferweb-review/

along with several more.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote