Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Daily Reboots

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Daily Reboots

Old 05-05-2016, 10:30   #1
marsboy
Inactive

marsboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Daily Reboots

I have been a virgin media tivo customer for 3 years, and recently my TiVo has been forced rebooted every day between 4-6am. This has only started happening for the last month. I know when it has started as I have a universal remote that controls everything. When I turn off my TV i see the TiVo standby message, and when I turn it on I see the waking up screen. Over the last month in the morning I see the TV signal on and the off message when I turn it on.

This has caused a few partial records, which are replays due to clashes. I have raised this with VM tech support and got the usual conflicting answers, including I have a HDD problem (I dont, it was checked by someone else and its all fine), Upgrades in my area (apparently im a pilot area - but noone can 100% confirm this) and also told that this has always happened, and has to for on demand updates.

I have a engineer coming today, but I think they are just going to swap my box, despite the fact that noone can see that anything wrong with my box at all. Which is annoying to say the least, as I have quite a few recordings.

On the Official VM forums there are several people with reboots in other areas to mine, and some VM posters saying these are due to upgrades, but every day for a month is gettin stupid now!

Does anyone else have this for so long? Does anyone know for a fact that VM have to reboot boxes for on demand updates? I have never seen my box this on a daily basis and due to the age and sluggisness of the box I think a daily reboot might just cause a problem.
marsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2016, 12:40   #2
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one
Re: Daily Reboots

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsboy View Post
.... due to the age and sluggisness of the box I think a daily reboot might just cause a problem.
Probably the opposite.

If you state your location i'm sure someone will come along to advise if it is 'area upgrades'
Old 05-05-2016, 13:00   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

This is due to network engineering work. It has been happening in several areas recently. Don't let them swap your box!

Which region are you in?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 13:12   #4
marsboy
Inactive

I am in Region 22 (DA1).

Have the upgrades been going on for over a month? Tech on the phone said that they had finished in my area a while ago
Old 05-05-2016, 13:18   #5
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I am in Region 22 (DA1).

Have the upgrades been going on for over a month? Tech on the phone said that they had finished in my area a while ago
Yes, they are still ongoing in your area. The good news is that there are no more scheduled for you after tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2016, 13:23   #6
marsboy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Yes, they are still ongoing in your area. The good news is that there are no more scheduled for you after tomorrow.
How do you get that info? I have spoken to VM customer service and tech cannot tell me when it was over!
Old 05-05-2016, 13:57   #7
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
How do you get that info? I have spoken to VM customer service and tech cannot tell me when it was over!
I work in TV Engineering at VM.
Old 05-05-2016, 14:08   #8
marsboy
Inactive

How comes virgin couldnt tell me this after a week of phone calls???

Thank you for confirming. I will see what the tech says today when he comes round.
Old 05-05-2016, 16:40   #9
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
How comes virgin couldnt tell me this after a week of phone calls???
Customer Services aren't notified of every item of engineering work - there is far too much going on for that. However, they should be aware that box reboots in the early hours are due to planned maintenance, and are not a fault.