Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will the Sky Movie HD channels be provided at no extra cost?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will the Sky Movie HD channels be provided at no extra cost?

Old 06-07-2016, 15:53   #31
dodgem22
cf.addict

Services: virgin tv phone and broadband giff gaff mobile
dodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Will the Sky Movie HD channels be provided at no extra cost?

speaking to customer services they said the hd channels will be included as standard first week of August so from that I take it the rebrand is this week but the hd charge wont be dropped until August.
dodgem22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-07-2016, 13:29   #32
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Sorry, I'm sure there's a more appropriate thread for this but...

Sky Movies OD with HD/SD variants, I'm sure this has been done before but should *every* film be available in SD for certain, with HD additional for certain criteria?

Or to rephrase the question, if there's movies that are only listed in HD and not SD - is this a fault? Or perhaps intentional? I've reported this on the VM-forum but remain unconvinced of the answer to be honest.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 14:07   #33
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Currently not all SD movies from Sky Cinema will have an HD equivalent.
Old 18-07-2016, 14:25   #34
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Is that due to current server capacity on VM ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 14:29   #35
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Good answer Ben, but I'm talking about the other way round. I've spotted one movie that has the HD listed, but not SD. Mission Impossible 3: Rogue Nation.

To me it should be available either in HD&SD, or SD-only. This one's HD-only. Doesn't affect me, but could bug non-HD customers.
Old 18-07-2016, 14:34   #36
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

There will always be an SD version, however you may not always see it depending on how you've access the On Demand content.

If it's missing completely then it's a fault.
Old 18-07-2016, 16:07   #37
japitts
cf.geek

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...y/td-p/3154594

It's not for me to tell the forum team they're wrong, although I suspected as much...

Under the new tivo software, I don't know of any way to get to a choice of SD/HD until the final screen before playing any OD program.
Old 18-07-2016, 16:58   #38
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
With the pricing being paid at the moment for sporting rights I'd say not a chance.
Completely agree mm! They've been burnt with the cost they've had to pay for rights. Bills will only go up I think! Certainly no reduction for hd!
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 14:12   #39
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...y/td-p/3154594

It's not for me to tell the forum team they're wrong, although I suspected as much...

Under the new tivo software, I don't know of any way to get to a choice of SD/HD until the final screen before playing any OD program.
So they have depleted the number of HD films available On Demand for Sky Cinema massively.
Every film used to be there in HD now they get removed after 30 days.
When I called up about this to complain they said they didn't know about this and gave me some temporary discount on my account. I think you can class it as a fob off.
I've been told by an official on the forum that it is for a temporary amount of time due to testing behind the scenes but that has been 6+ months now.

My software has not moved over to the new one yet so I can easily select the HD option and see what is available to me but from what I have seen of the new there is no option like that at all.
It wouldn't be needed if they just put all the films back on in HD but how it is on the new software is unacceptable and I will be complaining as soon as I get it as it is completely random as to whether I can find a film available in HD or not.
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 22:25   #40
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I can see a lot of customers going over to Sky, VM cannot keep thinking that we have a bottomless pocket.

I am certain that VM will prices up again, if Sky charged for HD
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 15:40   #41
MutleyF
Inactive

Services: 1TB Tivo, "Big Kahuna"
MutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I can see a lot of customers going over to Sky, VM cannot keep thinking that we have a bottomless pocket.

I am certain that VM will prices up again, if Sky charged for HD
Strange to expect Virgin to make a charge to cover what they are charged eh!

IMO, Sky is just as pricey - more channels, but more drivel with it
MutleyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 23:13   #42
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutleyF View Post
Strange to expect Virgin to make a charge to cover what they are charged eh!

IMO, Sky is just as pricey - more channels, but more drivel with it
what would the drivel be?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 08:36   #43
MutleyF
Inactive

Services: 1TB Tivo, "Big Kahuna"
MutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant future

Here we are ... and this is my choice of drivel, so please dont sheet me down

Spike (only repeats)
BEN (Nigerian TV)
ITV Encore (mainly repeats)
ABN TV
Property Show
Holiday & Cruise
ShowBiz

I could go on, but you get the idea.
MutleyF is offline   Reply With Quote