Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Car alarm/remote problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Car alarm/remote problem

Old 27-04-2016, 18:09   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Car alarm/remote problem

Until a couple of years ago I was using the normal key to open/lock/alarm my car. Locking is a 2 stage process with the first key turn visibly setting the locks (and possibly activating/deactivating the alarm/immobiliser?) and a second turn operating the deadlocks. Over a period of time I noticed that the key wouldn't always work properly in the driver's side door (DSD) and trying to open it would sometimes set the alarm off and wouldn't set the deadlock. I'd never used the supplied fob but found it in the drawer and started using it to get around the problem. Apart from putting in a new CR2025 battery a while ago, this was perfect but in the last few days the fob started to play up and this morning wouldn't work at all. I replaced the battery again but it still doesn't work so I'm wondering what's wrong (there's no LED on it so no way of knowing if it's working). After fiddling around a bit it seems that if I use the key and just lock the DSD once (I'm assuming the alarm isn't set?) I can then reopen it again using the key without any issues but if I double lock the car properly using the key in another lock if I then try to open the car again using the key in the DSD the alarm will be set off.

It's an old car and not worth spending much money but I'd be interested to know what any car-techie-folks around here think might be wrong and if there's a simple way around the problem other than what I've described above. Ideally I'd like to get the fob working again but can't see any sign of what might have gone wrong with it (e.g. water or battery damage).

TIA as always.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-04-2016, 18:14   #2
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads
Re: Car alarm/remote problem

Like a computer, try disconnecting the car battery for say 10sec then reconnect.
(First making sure you have the security codes for radio!)
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 20:37   #3
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

I bet it's a Vauxhall. I know how to fix it if it's a Vauxhall.
but he can't see my posts
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 15:56   #4
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

What car is it, and what age?

One thing to note: On Rovers, sometimes the keyfobs can lose sync with the car, and you end up having to hit the lock or unlock button about 30 times for it to resync.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 16:03   #5
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging bull View Post
Like a computer, try disconnecting the car battery for say 10sec then reconnect.
(First making sure you have the security codes for radio!)
Will happily give that a try but ill have to scout around for the codes first. Do both battery terminals need to be removed?

It's a 2003 Mazda.

@ Rhyds - yes I've discovered there are various ways to 're-programme' remotes etc. often involving key sequences and operation of the door locks. I haven't found one for my car but would be a bit worried about mucking something up unless the instructions were from a trusted source.
Old 28-04-2016, 16:12   #6
rhyds
Inactive

rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, mazdas can be tricky. Sometimes they use shared Ford kit, other times its their own unique stuff. It depends on the model really.

Can't help much either way sorry. My first thought would be to check/clean the electrical contacts in the door lock to solve the original problem, but I've no clue with regards to the fob

---------- Post added at 16:12 ---------- Previous post was at 16:09 ----------

I'd also try some of the mazda forums (especially if there's a model specific one).
Old 28-04-2016, 17:48   #7
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

Does it not say how to re sync a key fob in the car handbook?
My central locking relays are under the front seat, Vauxhall Meriva.
Just take off the +battery lead to reset central locking, assuming relays are o'k.
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 19:36   #8
Osem
Inactive

No there's nothing at all about that sadly. I can get by at the moment but it'd be good to get the fob working again. Hopefully it's just a problem with the one door lock and the fob, not a sign that the system's going funny.
Old 28-04-2016, 19:54   #9
rhyds
Inactive

I'd imagine its wear in the switch contacts in the door lock (which allows the door itself to lock/unlock. but the alarm doesn't get an unlock signal), or a wiring issue. If you've got the patience it might be worth taking the door card off and checking/cleaning the cabling and contacts/connectors.
Old 28-04-2016, 20:05   #10
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Hi Osem

Just remove the negative terminal... if you have a factory radio fitted get the security code for it to hand because once disconnected (it will think it has been stolen and will not work without the security code).

Does your boot or any other door locks - lock on the from the key fob.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote