Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix "dangerous partner" for cable and produces little income too.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix "dangerous partner" for cable and produces little income too.

Old 12-02-2016, 20:15   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Netflix "dangerous partner" for cable and produces little income too.

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201602124...#axzz3ztFRM5ny

This article describes the decision of cable companies (of which VM are one) to carry Netflix as "dangerous".

Also interesting to note that cable companies receive a cut of the ongoing subscription payments, but ONLY if customers sign up via said cable company.

They receive nothing for those who already had a Netflix account, but access it via their cable box. Even those new to Netflix tend to use more user friendly devices than devices such as the TiVo, thus denying income to VM etc.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2016, 22:04   #2
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix "dangerous partner" for cable and produces little income too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201602124...#axzz3ztFRM5ny

This article describes the decision of cable companies (of which VM are one) to carry Netflix as "dangerous".

Also interesting to note that cable companies receive a cut of the ongoing subscription payments, but ONLY if customers sign up via said cable company.

They receive nothing for those who already had a Netflix account, but access it via their cable box. Even those new to Netflix tend to use more user friendly devices than devices such as the TiVo, thus denying income to VM etc.

The whole article on the pros and cons of adding Netflix to a TV provider's options is just stating the obvious.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 22:58   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
The whole article on the pros and cons of adding Netflix to a TV provider's options is just stating the obvious.
Interesting to find out how much (or little!) VM get out of it financially though.
Old 12-02-2016, 23:38   #4
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Interesting to find out how much (or little!) VM get out of it financially though.
Yes that is true and news to me.. But it makes no difference to us subscribers.

It's pretty obvious that content providers with plenty of their own VOD would not want Netflix, but those with not so much would see the benefit of Netflix directly accessible via their PVR.

I don't know whether Sky Satellite has more box sets than Now TV, but in my view Now TV's box sets aren't as good as those on Netflix for my tastes. They are different and in some ways compliment those on Netflix. Maybe Sky wouldn't have as much to fear as they think by adding Netflix?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 23:53   #5
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
In my opinion the negatives far outweigh the positives , most of the points in the article I made on here when it was added. As for Sky I'd be amazed if they ever add Netflix it just doesn't make sense I suppose there's more chance of it being added to the Now TV box but even that I'd be amazed.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 00:37   #6
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
In my opinion the negatives far outweigh the positives , most of the points in the article I made on here when it was added. As for Sky I'd be amazed if they ever add Netflix it just doesn't make sense I suppose there's more chance of it being added to the Now TV box but even that I'd be amazed.
Quite frankly I don't give a damn KODI looks after my needs.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 08:51   #7
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Good for you.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 09:16   #8
tweedle
Permanently Banned

tweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the rough

Netflix is on most Smart TV's now anyway. Some even have a Netflix button on the remote which takes you straight to it. My TV has Netflix / NowTV / Amazon Video / Google play / and several other apps.
tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 10:41   #9
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Not for long KODI may be blocking addons from unofficial sources themselves soon.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 14:48   #10
kandinsky
cf.member

kandinsky is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Not for long KODI may be blocking addons from unofficial sources themselves soon.
Source?
kandinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 15:01   #11
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
Source?
Just look on facebook it's obvious as kodi are starting by demanding all illegal groups/pages containing kodi name are removed, it won't be long before this moves onto addons being blocked on kodi itself.
Old 14-02-2016, 16:10   #12
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
O/T but over on the official Kodi forums they said they have no interest in blocking unofficial addons. People are free to use the software as they see fit but they won't endorse any 3rd party addons.

Also from v17 you will have to 'switch on' the ability to install unofficial addons, same as you do on Android.

Back on topic i don't think the inclusion of Netflix on any box, VM, BT Youview etc was ever done for monetary gain but rather to try and keep you using their box.
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 21:35   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
i don't think the inclusion of Netflix on any box, VM, BT Youview etc was ever done for monetary gain but rather to try and keep you using their box.
I think that your thoughts on this matter are probably correct.
Old 14-02-2016, 23:41   #14
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
O/T but over on the official Kodi forums they said they have no interest in blocking unofficial addons. People are free to use the software as they see fit but they won't endorse any 3rd party addons.

Also from v17 you will have to 'switch on' the ability to install unofficial addons, same as you do on Android.

Back on topic i don't think the inclusion of Netflix on any box, VM, BT Youview etc was ever done for monetary gain but rather to try and keep you using their box.
So basically its facebook scaremonging it seems then about kodi blocking 3rd party addons
Old 15-02-2016, 12:41   #15
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
So basically its facebook scaremonging it seems then about kodi blocking 3rd party addons
Kodi certainly do seem to be targetting illegal addons, well the box sellers that include them anyway for now. http://cordcuttersnews.com/kodi-is-t...legal-plugins/