Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Bathroom shaver socket/light - fused or not?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Bathroom shaver socket/light - fused or not?

Old 10-02-2016, 21:29   #16
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads
Re: Bathroom shaver socket/light - fused or not?

Assuming the problem with supply is resolved and a replacement shaver socket is to be purchased.
Be aware that the socket outlet must have an isolation transformer wired between it and the incoming supply!
(Anything supplied must have this transformer fitted as part of the package.)
Output voltage for 240v would be 120v-120v.
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2016, 21:32   #17
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Don't worry guys, I'd never touch anything unless the fuse has been removed at the consumer unit. I can't do that right now as it would take out some of our lights but that's exactly what I did today. I also use an a/c detector before fiddling with any wires just to be extra safe.

It's all a long time ago but I think what happened is that the pull cord switch originally served an electric oil filled towel rail which was removed years ago. It still had a suitable feed and was in exactly the right place to serve the new fan we had fitted so was used for that purpose and if I'm right about what I saw up there some time ago, that would be when the fused connection box was added.

I'm guessing that the shaver light is in some way connected to this wiring as that would explain why both have stopped working at the same time.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:58   #18
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Don't worry guys, I'd never touch anything unless the fuse has been removed at the consumer unit. I can't do that right now as it would take out some of our lights but that's exactly what I did today. I also use an a/c detector before fiddling with any wires just to be extra safe.

It's all a long time ago but I think what happened is that the pull cord switch originally served an electric oil filled towel rail which was removed years ago. It still had a suitable feed and was in exactly the right place to serve the new fan we had fitted so was used for that purpose and if I'm right about what I saw up there some time ago, that would be when the fused connection box was added.

I'm guessing that the shaver light is in some way connected to this wiring as that would explain why both have stopped working at the same time.
The radiator feed would most likely have been spurred off the upstairs ring main because of the power requirement so a feed to the shaver socket etc would almost certainly be via a fused outlet box with a suitably low rated fuse in it. Probably 5A. Guess this is the place to look.

It's almost the same setup that I used when putting in a shaver transformer/ socket and some low voltage halogen lighting in a mate's bathroom. Mainly because there was already a feed for a heater (not fitted).
Old 11-02-2016, 11:26   #19
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

There was originally no upstairs ring main - as the house started life as a bungalow and we had it converted some years after we moved in. The lighting downstairs is divided into 2 or 3 separate zones with a fuse for each. A new ring main and lighting circuit were added for upstairs when the conversion was done about 20 years ago.
Old 11-02-2016, 19:52   #20
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

A 3 amp fuse in an isolator switch should be fitted outside for the supply to shaver socket.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 15:25   #21
raging bull
cf.geek

raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

Any updates on your shaver socket problem Osem?
Old 20-02-2016, 16:07   #22
Osem
Inactive

No not yet. Too much going on here to give me time to get into the loft for a good nosey around. Hoping to get onto it when Osem Jnr#2 is back at school and will report back then.
Old 20-02-2016, 16:18   #23
raging bull
cf.geek

O'k I know how you feel!
Get the kids out of the way, more time to investigate.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:14   #24
Osem
Inactive

Problem solved. The fused connection box in the loft did indeed turn out to be the source of the problem. Swapped the 3amp fuse inside and both the fan and shaver light now work again. Took longer to get into the loft hatch than do the job. Hallelujah!
Old 04-03-2016, 12:45   #25
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Glad to hear you solved it.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 15:06   #26
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Glad to hear you solved it.
Cheers! Me too - I was dreading having to spend ages in the loft trying to locate the problem. Happy days.