Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | A strange but telling question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

A strange but telling question

Old 07-02-2016, 18:29   #46
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation
Re: A strange but telling question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Could you give some examples of what he has said that is unverifiable opinion, please?
Nah, his pontifications don't merit discussion.

“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.” Oh do shut up Brian.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2016, 19:49   #47
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

I really can't stand Cox. I'm not fooled by his "warm, charming" gimmick and that's all it is - a gimmick. Get him talking to someone who has the audacity to believe in something Cox "knows" to be untrue and watch the charm get replaced by a patronising and condescending tone.

I'd have much more respect for him if he just got on with his thing rather than playing along with the Dawkins-inspired approach of talking down to anyone with differing beliefs. Nobody should ever doubt his credentials but his attitude stinks to me.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 20:51   #48
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post

“We are the cosmos made conscious and life is the means by which the universe understands itself.” Oh do shut up Brian.
So you have no evidence to back up your unverifiable opinions, then?

(I have to admit I find his delivery irritating, but I don't doubt his knowledge and academic credentials - my godson attends his lectures at Manchester University (he is studying Astrophysic) and says he is an excellent lecturer, getting difficult concepts across in an understandable manner).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 21:18   #49
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
And yet, Cox smirkingly tells us the "facts" about the Cosmos, the Stars an' everythin' without knowing if any of it is true. He is best roundly ignored for spouting unverifiable opinion. Actually, I suppose it goes to prove your point about free speech but perhaps not as intended
It's true as far as current scientific knowledge understands.

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

Quote:
Unverified 'facts' are proof of nothing. My own Theory of irrelevance: COx=£4bs2.

If Prof Cox was a poster here, you'd be the first to ask him for a link to his proclaimed 'evidence' .
If it's a fact it is by definition not unverified

---------- Post added at 20:18 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

Quote:
Well if what he talks about is beyond your intellect, fair enough, don't worry yourself about it. I find him clear, passionate and undeniably knowledgeable. Furthermore he has done for physics what Attenborough did for natural history, made is accessible for the masses.

He should congratulated not dismissed by the ignorant
Old 07-02-2016, 21:34   #50
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Personally l think his series on the BBC has been excellent as he comes across as very knowledgeable and understandable about his subjects.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:49   #51
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I really can't stand Cox. I'm not fooled by his "warm, charming" gimmick and that's all it is - a gimmick. Get him talking to someone who has the audacity to believe in something Cox "knows" to be untrue and watch the charm get replaced by a patronising and condescending tone.

I'd have much more respect for him if he just got on with his thing rather than playing along with the Dawkins-inspired approach of talking down to anyone with differing beliefs. Nobody should ever doubt his credentials but his attitude stinks to me.
Well said Russ .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
So you have no evidence to back up your unverifiable opinions, then?
There are tribes in deepest Africa that saw that one coming .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
It's true as far as current scientific knowledge understands.
Gettaway.

Quote:
Well if what he talks about is beyond your intellect, fair enough, don't worry yourself about it. I find him clear, passionate and undeniably knowledgeable. Furthermore he has done for physics what Attenborough did for natural history, made is accessible for the masses.
I don't worry about starry-eyed fantasising.

Quote:
He should be congratulated not dismissed by the ignorant
To be or not to be? That is the ignorance .

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Personally l think his series on the BBC has been excellent as he comes across as very knowledgeable and understandable about his subjects.
Yes, I'm sure he could persuade you that your arse was on fire; I just wish my license fee didn't go toward funding it .
Old 08-02-2016, 06:57   #52
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
I don't worry about starry-eyed fantasising.

Yes, I'm sure he could persuade you that your arse was on fire; I just wish my license fee didn't go toward funding it .
I've got no idea where you're coming from. It's clear I don't like him or his motives and it's equally clear many atheists would blindly follow anything he tells them because of who he is but I doubt he's stupid enough to make scientific claims he couldn't back up with reputable references.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 13:40   #53
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

I'm probably suffering from 'smug expert exhaustion syndrome'. I think I'll need expert advice.
Old 08-02-2016, 13:45   #54
tweedle
Permanently Banned

tweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I'm probably suffering from 'smug expert exhaustion syndrome'. I think I'll need expert advice.
Nah.... You've just got a slight case of I refuse to stop posting until everyone understands I'm right syndrome...
tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 13:54   #55
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedle View Post
Nah.... You've just got a slight case of I refuse to stop posting until everyone understands I'm right syndrome...
You're absolutely right of course. Now let's get back on topic - you posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedle View Post
Would you rather live on your knees or die on your feet?
Groan. And we tried so hard to rescue you . Sigh.