Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV cost saving news item

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

TV cost saving news item

Old 13-02-2016, 23:03   #16
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age
Re: TV cost saving news item

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It could do, because of the way that the bundle prices work.

Having broadband may make the price of TV cheaper; which reduces any savings made because of any discount.

I've read on here that in some cases it's cheaper to take a VM landline than not having one- even if it never gets plugged in!
I phoned up Virgin a while ago, to cancel TV, as I thought I'd be happy with freeview and internet, however I was told I'd lose the discount I get by having, tv, phone, and internet, so it was cheaper to go to the most basic tv package than not have tv at all.
admars is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-02-2016, 10:20   #17
yorkshireborn
Inactive

Services: SkyQ silver 2TB SkyQ mini multiroom Boxset skysports HD skymovies HD Virgin vivid 350meg
yorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about them

we have the full package but the phones been unplugged for the last 6 years never had the need to use it.

and the good thing from not using it is no unwanted / nuisance phone calls.
yorkshireborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 18:44   #18
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
I phoned up Virgin a while ago, to cancel TV, as I thought I'd be happy with freeview and internet, however I was told I'd lose the discount I get by having, tv, phone, and internet, so it was cheaper to go to the most basic tv package than not have tv at all.
Is this still the case with TiVo though, now that M TV customers have to pay £5 a month for the TiVo facility?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 21:20   #19
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Is this still the case with TiVo though, now that M TV customers have to pay £5 a month for the TiVo facility?
The bill doesn't break it down , but it's there as an item to pay for.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 23:33   #20
23prince
Inactive

23prince is an unknown quantity at this point

firetv stick and typlayer free channels or £4,99 a month for all the premium ones

Job done for me
23prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 17:36   #21
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Do you know of anywhere that lists the channels available on a Fire TV stick?

I can find plenty of reviews for it, but not what channels are actually available!
Old 23-04-2016, 17:40   #22
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

The "channels" available are whatever apps provide. So you've got your iplayers and 4od's and that, whatever NowTV gives you, whatever netflix gives you, etc.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 19:36   #23
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Do you know of anywhere that lists the channels available on a Fire TV stick?

I can find plenty of reviews for it, but not what channels are actually available!
You can root the stick and install all kinds of dodgy streaming apps on it, so the sky's the limit.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 19:47   #24
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Fire Sticks are pretty rubbish, you're handicapped significantly by Amazon and the hardware specs pretty basic too, better to get an Android box and get those dodgy apps loaded
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 19:58   #25
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

i got rid of TV saving me £11 a month and went to Freesat.

I only watch BBC and ITV and most of that is on Catchup TV players.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 16:21   #26
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Fire Sticks are pretty rubbish, you're handicapped significantly by Amazon and the hardware specs pretty basic too, better to get an Android box and get those dodgy apps loaded
Balderdash, you're not restricted by Amazon at all, you can install any apps you want from outside Amazon's own store. That's all those other Android boxes do and Amazon's fork of Android is no different.
Old 24-04-2016, 16:37   #27
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

LOl you're having a laugh, Amazon are making it very hard to sideload apps that aren't their own, as it's not in Amazons interests, plus the things only got 0.5 GB usable RAM for a few quid more you can get a proper non affiliated to anyone android box and load what you want. They also removed Kodi from their app store, wonder why that was... oh wait, it's not Amazons.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 16:51   #28
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Still think that it would be useful to be able to access each others TiVos- I could watch a film that I forgot to record, whilst they could access mine for an episode of a drama that they missed where no alternative showing is scheduled.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...-customer.html

Is this how Plex works?
Old 24-04-2016, 17:40   #29
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
LOl you're having a laugh, Amazon are making it very hard to sideload apps that aren't their own, as it's not in Amazons interests, plus the things only got 0.5 GB usable RAM for a few quid more you can get a proper non affiliated to anyone android box and load what you want. They also removed Kodi from their app store, wonder why that was... oh wait, it's not Amazons.
Go to Settings > System > Developer Options > Enable “Apps from Unknown Sources”

A tickbox is all that stops you from sideloading whatever the hell you want. Very hard.

---------- Post added at 16:40 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

Quote:
Still think that it would be useful to be able to access each others TiVos- I could watch a film that I forgot to record, whilst they could access mine for an episode of a drama that they missed where no alternative showing is scheduled.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...-customer.html

Is this how Plex works?
More or less. Plex is cool, you set it up on the machine that has all your media and then any other plex app can log in and view it. It'll transcode the media if it needs to and stream it over LAN or internet.

That said, it has its flaws as well. When inside my network, I prefer good ol' Kodi to watch the stuff on my server, but outside the network Plex is by far the easiest.