Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Question about DL speed after relocating superhub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Question about DL speed after relocating superhub

Old 28-11-2015, 20:08   #1
mrobbo
Inactive

mrobbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question about DL speed after relocating superhub

Hi, I have 150mb bb and a superhub (the first one). Superhub was located in what is a now converted garage. WiFi signal to the rest of the house was poor. Putting it in modem mode didn't help matters. Homeplugs aren't robust. As far as I recall, I was getting very very fast dl speeds, around the advertised 150mb.

I bought a 2 way cable splitter, and moved the superhub into the living room, next to the TiVo, splitting the signal using said splitter.

As I say, I pay for 150mb bb. I now get typical speeds of 50mb. Now, is this below-advertised speed down to having moved the superhub into the living room? Could Virgin fix this by boosting the signal and/or new superhub? Is moving the superhub actually 'allowed'? Anything I can do myself to improve speed?

Thank you!
mrobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-11-2015, 20:35   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Question about DL speed after relocating superhub

Remember they advertise as UP TO just in case you get lower speeds.

Is the 50Mb wired or wireless speed? It could be due to the fact it is the first Superhub.
Old 29-11-2015, 08:51   #3
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

When you moved the superhub did you put a terminator on the old cable it was on? Can you post your upstream and downstream power levels. They may now be out of spec as the splitter will have lowered them.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 10:27   #4
Eeeps
cf.addict

Eeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the roughEeeps is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrobbo View Post
Hi, I have 150mb bb and a superhub (the first one). Superhub was located in what is a now converted garage. WiFi signal to the rest of the house was poor. Putting it in modem mode didn't help matters. Homeplugs aren't robust. As far as I recall, I was getting very very fast dl speeds, around the advertised 150mb.

I bought a 2 way cable splitter, and moved the superhub into the living room, next to the TiVo, splitting the signal using said splitter.

As I say, I pay for 150mb bb. I now get typical speeds of 50mb. Now, is this below-advertised speed down to having moved the superhub into the living room? Could Virgin fix this by boosting the signal and/or new superhub? Is moving the superhub actually 'allowed'? Anything I can do myself to improve speed?

Thank you!
Just to get this straight, you have always had both Superhub and Tivo?

In this case you must also have had an existing splitter (may be external to your property).

What you should have done is move that existing splitter to your living room. Even then, if the cable lengths are different you may still have issues.

Adding the second splitter has reduced your signal levels most likely causing your issues.

Given your changes have broken an existing working setup I doubt VM would take kindly to fixing your mess.

I suggest you locate the original splitter and remove it.
Eeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 12:51   #5
mrobbo
Inactive

Thanks for responses.

@stephen
- Speed for 50mb was wifi
- Point taken on 'up to' speeds. Considering I pay for up to 150mb, would my speeds be considered as 'acceptable'? (see speeds below)

@arcimedes
- Didn't put a terminator on old cable

- Power levels :
- Original location/wired = dl 80.54/ul 12.20
- Original location/wifi = dl 65.11/ul 8.22
- New location (splitter)/wired = dl 75.64/ul 12.13
- New location (splitter)/wifi = dl 38.98/ul 11.53 (commonly used set up at present)

@eeeps
- Always had both
- Hardly a mess though, really. A quick five minute job, which I've reverted this morning to document my speeds. Wouldn't be an issue if the Superhub wifi was any good
- Point taken re: existing splitter. On one hand you term my little experiment as a 'mess', then suggest I find the original splitter and remove it. Which I won't do. I don't want to make a mess
Old 29-11-2015, 13:01   #6
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrobbo View Post

- Power levels :
- Original location/wired = dl 80.54/ul 12.20
- Original location/wifi = dl 65.11/ul 8.22
- New location (splitter)/wired = dl 75.64/ul 12.13
- New location (splitter)/wifi = dl 38.98/ul 11.53 (commonly used set up at present)
If they were really your power levels nothing would be working. You appear to have posted the speeds you're getting. To get to your power levels in modem mode address is 192.168.100.1 at connect to the bit in the top right corner that says router status otherwise connect to 192.168.0.1 and I think the same applies.
Old 29-11-2015, 13:35   #7
mrobbo
Inactive

@arcimedes
- Ah sorry, I misunderstood! Thanks for getting back to me

- Power levels :
original location - down = http://postimg.org/image/agon6fitf/
original location - up = http://postimg.org/image/x3h3w9zk9/
new location (with splitter) - down = http://postimg.org/image/5010wdrxz/
new location (with splitter) - up = http://postimg.org/image/gg6qv14oh/

-Any difference in power levels that you would consider to be significant?
Old 29-11-2015, 16:40   #8
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

I would say that the upstream is borderline at the best in both cases. Hopefully someone else will come along better qualified to say.
Old 29-11-2015, 17:02   #9
mrobbo
Inactive

OK, thanks very much for taking a look
Old 29-11-2015, 19:28   #10
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Power levels are fine and unlikely to be the cause. You should cap that un-terminated cable though to avoid additional noise.

Downstream is on the low end of the range, which is -6 to +10 dBmV. It will rise as the weather gets colder, but by the heat of summer next year you'll probably be offline.

Upstream is good and will max out at around 54 dBmV. I wouldn't want to see levels over 51 dBmV just because if it drifts further it could max out, but 49/50 is fine.

The speeds you're getting are as expected for wired and wifi.

Your wired speeds (if you're using a non-gigabit/100Mb ethernet cable/network card) will average in the range 75-85Mb. You need a gigabit network card and cat 5e/cat6 ethernet cable to get more.

Your wifi speeds ranging from 40Mb-65Mb suggest that you have a single stream 802.11n wifi card connected on the 2.4ghz band?
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote