Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Windows 7 Update woes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Windows 7 Update woes

Old 27-11-2015, 14:43   #1
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone
Windows 7 Update woes

OK I've just picked up an windows 7 laptop for my little girls first PC, all is well except I can't get Windows Update running for love or money.

Windows 7 was one I missed on my own hardware cycle as I went from vista to 8.1 and missed it out, apparently its quite common in win 7 pc's to not work.

I've looked on lots of places, tried all the usual things, even down to cmd prompts & bat files.

The Laptop was a oem enterprise install (Windows 7 Pro N) so I couldn't get access to the windows key, so I've now got a nice new (legit) one & done a brand new clean install and have windows 7 Pro SP1, with access to the key, but windows update still won't run.

Well it runs and says 'checking for updates' but it never finds anything, even if left to run for hours.

Does MS not actually do any updates now seeing as 7 is 'old'

I'm not sure at this point what else I can do. Try Win 10 perhaps?
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-11-2015, 22:33   #2
Mike Flex
Inactive

Mike Flex is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Windows 7 Update woes

Try leaving it overnight, I've had the same thing happen before and next day its magically worked.

It can also take a LONNNNG time the first time it does updates, best to just leave it for a good few hours and just see what happens.
Mike Flex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 23:01   #3
techguyone
Deus Vult

techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age

I spent around 2 days on it, I've managed to coax Win 10 on it (eventually) & update *seems* to be working now, hopefully that'll be the end of it.
Old 28-11-2015, 22:46   #4
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

You need to make sure you update when the US is still asleep, once they wake up, updates slow to a crawl
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 09:42   #5
techguyone
Deus Vult

Weirdly enough to get Win 10 to install I had to remove the laptop from the internet, otherwise it would hang on the 'checking for updates' part of the install.
Old 29-11-2015, 12:35   #6
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Weirdly enough to get Win 10 to install I had to remove the laptop from the internet, otherwise it would hang on the 'checking for updates' part of the install.

Windows 7 must have SP1 before you upgrade to Windows 10, if you do not have SP1 then it will access the internet to down load it and in stall it.
Ken W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 12:54   #7
techguyone
Deus Vult

Correct, I has SP1 but also other issues with Windows Update that I couldn't resolve, however going to Windows 10 has fixed that

I wonder if MS isn't bothered about Win 7 update issues as it's *old* now
Old 29-11-2015, 14:35   #8
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Correct, I has SP1 but also other issues with Windows Update that I couldn't resolve, however going to Windows 10 has fixed that

I wonder if MS isn't bothered about Win 7 update issues as it's *old* now
my understanding is that microsoft is blocking the server so you have to upgrade to 10

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/19...-7-update.html
vanman is offline   Reply With Quote