Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media’s New 200Mbps Package Drops to 130Mbps at Peak Times

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media’s New 200Mbps Package Drops to 130Mbps at Peak Times

Old 25-11-2015, 23:45   #31
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Virgin Media’s New 200Mbps Package Drops to 130Mbps at Peak Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Well an average is an average. If the average is 130Mbps then you know 50% of people are getting less than 130Mbps. You could reach that average by 50% of people getting 200Mbps and 50% of people getting 60Mbps.
You are right. It would be good to get a graph from SK profiling the peak speeds
Old 01-12-2015, 04:07   #32
horseman
cf.geek

horseman has reached the bronze age
horseman has reached the bronze agehorseman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
You are right. It would be good to get a graph from SK profiling the peak speeds
SK certainly have the graphs but ultimately it requires VM(or any ISP if we want a comparison) to authorise their release.
However you haven't clarified whether you literally want UK monthly average "peak downstream rates" and/or "peak upstream rates" or perhaps download speeds during peak hours for weekdays during calendar month, by week or even days?

Many (undisclosed) stats I can blame VM for but I can't blame them for not publishing until all their ISP competitors agree to do likewise!

As Disraeli once said: "There are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics"
As already stated/implied by others 130Mps is only an "average" of 3 SK "normalised" hourly plots of 8,9 & 10pm for the percentage of 700 to 1400 SK trialists contributions UK wide on V200 tier for a October calendar month (of weekdays) which represents 65% of headline speed.
However Sept yielded 107 for 152 Tier = 70% and you find lower tiers varied between 83% for 100Mbps and 96% for 50Mbps.

All that illustrates is what some of us already know and most already suspect that there's a percentage of cable segments in congestion and thus higher tiers typically suffer the worst percentage degradation on headline during peak hours.

That doesn't mean VM is not addressing "congestion" in ALL areas. If I compare my V200 SK D/S speeds for
October = 118(8-10pm) 173 daily avg
November = 156(8-10pm) 189 daily avg

Whereas using a SK monitor on another Brighton node/cable segment:
Oct = 124(8-10pm) 194 daily avg.
Nov = 180(8-10pm) 201 daily avg

Neither of these indicate which of the two cables segments had an Arris E6000 and 16channel upgrade on 15th October.... or whether the Hubs were on same 8 channel or 16channel bonding group for the whole period?

VM (nor SK) publish how many samples (SK Trialists) exist but from OfCom figures the active samples (for all BB ISP's) appear to be ~1400.
My own unauthoritative guess is only a max of 700-1000 samples are included at any one time and because we also don't have the average Tier demographics either I personally suspect these are in a 60:30:10 ratio which yields max 100 Vivid200 across UK.

Thus I have no way of formulating how the remaining 98 on V200 Tier compare nor how quickly upgrades/speedboosts will rollout but as crude dipstick to meet 90% rollout (VM advertisement) of V200 by year end then I'd expect the Oct 130 peak will need to raise to 143 in Nov, 156 in Dec and 169 there on.

As stated I'm not sure what "peak speed" profile you're seeking and for all the aforementioned reasons I'm not sure exactly what conclusion you'd draw from it even if VM unilaterally provided it?
However fwiw here's hour-of-day average for one BN3 node in November:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/egs14jbhtx...38.28.png?dl=0
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:39   #33
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

OFCOM do publish peak speeds last I checked...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:15   #34
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Ours is getting better. Data from SK shows peak time downstream on 152/200 service has increased from 1Mb to 80Mb but most of the time we do get just over 200Mb as reported by SK.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:35   #35
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman View Post
SK certainly have the graphs but ultimately it requires VM(or any ISP if we want a comparison) to authorise their release.
However you haven't clarified whether you literally want UK monthly average "peak downstream rates" and/or "peak upstream rates" or perhaps download speeds during peak hours for weekdays during calendar month, by week or even days?

Many (undisclosed) stats I can blame VM for but I can't blame them for not publishing until all their ISP competitors agree to do likewise!

As Disraeli once said: "There are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics"
As already stated/implied by others 130Mps is only an "average" of 3 SK "normalised" hourly plots of 8,9 & 10pm for the percentage of 700 to 1400 SK trialists contributions UK wide on V200 tier for a October calendar month (of weekdays) which represents 65% of headline speed.
However Sept yielded 107 for 152 Tier = 70% and you find lower tiers varied between 83% for 100Mbps and 96% for 50Mbps.

All that illustrates is what some of us already know and most already suspect that there's a percentage of cable segments in congestion and thus higher tiers typically suffer the worst percentage degradation on headline during peak hours.

That doesn't mean VM is not addressing "congestion" in ALL areas. If I compare my V200 SK D/S speeds for
October = 118(8-10pm) 173 daily avg
November = 156(8-10pm) 189 daily avg

Whereas using a SK monitor on another Brighton node/cable segment:
Oct = 124(8-10pm) 194 daily avg.
Nov = 180(8-10pm) 201 daily avg

Neither of these indicate which of the two cables segments had an Arris E6000 and 16channel upgrade on 15th October.... or whether the Hubs were on same 8 channel or 16channel bonding group for the whole period?

VM (nor SK) publish how many samples (SK Trialists) exist but from OfCom figures the active samples (for all BB ISP's) appear to be ~1400.
My own unauthoritative guess is only a max of 700-1000 samples are included at any one time and because we also don't have the average Tier demographics either I personally suspect these are in a 60:30:10 ratio which yields max 100 Vivid200 across UK.

Thus I have no way of formulating how the remaining 98 on V200 Tier compare nor how quickly upgrades/speedboosts will rollout but as crude dipstick to meet 90% rollout (VM advertisement) of V200 by year end then I'd expect the Oct 130 peak will need to raise to 143 in Nov, 156 in Dec and 169 there on.

As stated I'm not sure what "peak speed" profile you're seeking and for all the aforementioned reasons I'm not sure exactly what conclusion you'd draw from it even if VM unilaterally provided it?
However fwiw here's hour-of-day average for one BN3 node in November:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/egs14jbhtx...38.28.png?dl=0
This is really interesting, thank you. I guess the metric that I would be interested in, as it affects us directly, is what percentage of segments are overutilised. Now how you define "overutilised" could be subjective of course but maybe a crude definition is how many segments have peak speeds that drop below the headline speed of the tier beneath. Or, you could use the definition of segments have open utilisation related fault tickets ..

VM would never release this numbers but if you look at the VM Speed forum (http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/bd-p/Speed), it seems a lot more active with possible utilisation related complaints than when I was last frequenting the place ..
Old 01-12-2015, 14:41   #36
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

They seem to have sorted out our area.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speedtests Nov 2015.jpg (101.6 KB, 69 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 15:43   #37
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
They seem to have sorted out our area.

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 15:44   #38
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Thank you.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote