Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | need advice and help for a possible fix

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

need advice and help for a possible fix

Old 02-12-2015, 16:16   #121
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold
Re: need advice and help for a possible fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathcrush87 View Post
all i have is the windows firewall..
i guess i pass on that then.
Which is why I said "OR port-forward", as you only forward specific ports for your game and everything else is blocked.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2015, 02:12   #122
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD_Wizard View Post
Agreed. Though 5ghz 802.11n is also dependent on HT and MIMO. All wireless is subject to interference etc.
Yes, but no. This device doesn't have MIMO on 5Ghz AC and (V)HT isn't disabled by default on 5Ghz like it is on 2.4. And half the point of 5Ghz is it has less interference, therefore that strengthens my case even more.

Quote:
[COLOR="DarkRed"]433Mbps isn't throughput, it's the communication link rate, with 802.11ac using HT80 you get around half of that as throughput (speed you see on a speed test) after communication overheads. i.e. Around 215Mb.

vs on 802.11n you see around 2/3rds of the link rate as throughput. Using 300Mbps link rate, that's around 200Mbps.
AC is more efficient than N so actually you get a higher proportion of throughput. On 11n you get 85% of the link rate as throughput (maximum) and on AC it's supposed to be higher.

But that ignores the fact we're still looking at a 72 or 144Mbps link rate vs. a 433Mbps link rate. Even if your numbers were right, two thirds of a 144Mbps link rate is about 100Mbps, half of a 433Mbps link rate is over 200Mbps. Still a HUGE difference.

Quote:
LOL ... because that works so well when comparing across processor families.
Mhz is an inaccurate measure of processor performance.

3.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 672 (average CPU mark 402)
vs
AMD A4-5000 1.5 Ghz (average CPU mark 1893, single thread rating 585)
That's why I specifically didn't say anything about processor families.

A 3.4Ghz single-core Pentium 4 will be faster than a 850Mhz quad-core Pentium 4 in most places. Especially when that quad-core is overheating because of err interference.

---------- Post added at 01:12 ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 ----------

Quote:
[COLOR="DarkRed"]There's this great web site called Google. Maybe you've heard of it? You can type any question in plain language and it'll usually give you hundreds of sites and videos that answer your question.
Before the great web site called Google, we had the great website called www.portforward.com
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:21   #123
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Yes, but no. This device doesn't have MIMO on 5Ghz AC and (V)HT isn't disabled by default on 5Ghz like it is on 2.4.
You're only telling me things I already know. I qualified my statement by saying on maximum settings.

Quote:
And half the point of 5Ghz is it has less interference, therefore that strengthens my case even more.
That's a spurious argument as it's environment dependent. It might be the case it might not.

Quote:
AC is more efficient than N so actually you get a higher proportion of throughput. On 11n you get 85% of the link rate as throughput (maximum) and on AC it's supposed to be higher.
You're off your rocker and really need to read this: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...m-an-ac-router

I think you're confusing downlink speed vs total throughput (downlink + uplink).

Quote:
But that ignores the fact we're still looking at a 72 or 144Mbps link rate vs. a 433Mbps link rate.
The 433Mbps link rate doesn't come into it really, unless transferring data point to point, as the limiting factor here on 5Ghz is going to be the 100Mbps ethernet ports. So real world throughput average speeds will always be no more than 75-85Mbps, with peak at 95Mbps, regardless of any wifi link rates.

http://www.tp-link.com.mx/FAQ-782.html

Quote:
Even if your numbers were right, two thirds of a 144Mbps link rate is about 100Mbps, half of a 433Mbps link rate is over 200Mbps. Still a HUGE difference.
Like I said, doesn't matter because of ethernet. Btw, in the smallnetbuilder link I posted above the AC433/866/1300 clients connected to the AC1300 router were getting no more than 20-30% throughput on downlink. I was being generous.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 13:21   #124
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
That's a spurious argument as it's environment dependent. It might be the case it might not.
It's the case in 100% of environments.

Quote:
You're off your rocker and really need to read this: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...m-an-ac-router
You need to read the 50x+ times I've already explained why Smallnetbuilder's measurement methods are unrepresentative. That becomes pretty obvious when you see Cisco get higher throughput out of an AC433 client two football pitches away than Smallnetbuilder do out of a AC1200 client in the same room.

Quote:
The 433Mbps link rate doesn't come into it really, unless transferring data point to point, as the limiting factor here on 5Ghz is going to be the 100Mbps ethernet ports. So real world throughput average speeds will always be no more than 75-85Mbps, with peak at 95Mbps, regardless of any wifi link rates.
That's a spurious argument since you're now trying to weasel out of being wrong by pointing to factors that we were not even talking about in the first place.

Quote:
Like I said, doesn't matter because of ethernet. Btw, in the smallnetbuilder link I posted above the AC433/866/1300 clients connected to the AC1300 router were getting no more than 20-30% throughput on downlink. I was being generous.
That's a spurious argument as it's environment dependent. They're conducted under very specific conditions and not realistic representations of the capabilities of the device.

Maybe you should start reading things like this, rather than consumer reports mumbo jumbo:

https://web.archive.org/web/20151203...s/20141212.pdf
http://www.jwcn.eurasipjournals.com/...9-2013-226.pdf
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 19:43   #125
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Old 08-12-2015, 03:19   #126
Deathcrush87
Inactive

Deathcrush87 can only hope to improve

ok.

so the angry "hate" letter did wonders, we now have a superhub 2 ac running in modem mode.
me and my next door mate started playing Black Ops 3 together, and in order to avoid congestions we started to have voice chat over LAN using Mumble.

still we get lag spikes, but its nothing like what it used to be.
we also made a QoS for everyone, so we - the gamers of the house - get higher priority.
had one disconnection today, and i still think Virgin has some network issues going on.

anyway, i will post more results more in the nest few days.
Deathcrush87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:56   #127
Deathcrush87
Inactive

can anyone guide me how QoS works please?
Old 10-12-2015, 06:54   #128
horseman
cf.geek

horseman has reached the bronze age
horseman has reached the bronze agehorseman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathcrush87 View Post
can anyone guide me how QoS works please?
In what context? Router or ISP? Both work differently and independently.

Plenty of help on Router side eg >..the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router

quality-of-service-explained-how-routers-with-strong-qos-make-better-home-networks
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 01:11   #129
Deathcrush87
Inactive

Dear Horseman,

I meant the router.
many thanx for the links ^^

---------- Post added 13-12-2015 at 00:11 ---------- Previous post was 12-12-2015 at 23:43 ----------

ok everyone,

big problems.
first, the internet started to disconnect again every few minutes.
we called Virgin 2 days ago and they said the problem is within our router.

so i started researching around. some other people had the same problem.
symptoms was "No Connection" on Steam, then a yellow triangle on the connection thingy on the task bar (limited connection)
some older posts on the internet on some other forums suggested that the problem could be ports. ports were opened/forwarded.
others said it was the router's firewall. firewall got disabled.
now it gets interesting; i thought the problem was fixed. only to find this morning that the problem still happens.

second, i goofed around the security section of my router, ad while the whole internet was saying that i could not set a BQM monitor as my router does not support it, against all odds i found the option to enable supporting BQM monitor and we have it again going on!

red spikes show the disconnections.
hence, imo the router is not the source of disconnections, Virgin was BSing again and the fault is clearly on their side.
called them again, and after some torture and unpleasant chats we got them to send us an engineer this coming Wednesday.

so, I am again standing where i was when i posted my original post.
high pings are solved quite a bit, but disconnections persist.

i really like to ask those here who claimed moving to a new ISP is much of a hassle.
was this saga of mine during this period a hassle or not?
did heated up arguments between me and my landlord, me and my house mates, landlord and virgin, me and virgin and me and some "users" on this forum solved the problems?

i am very happy, that i did not listen to some "users" here and did not spend £70 on a router which would be a waste of money when the fault is on Virgin's side.
i am just salty that i spent £14 on a 30m cat5 cable which is useless now anyways, just to clear Virgin from faults.

i was polite to ppl here, i was called names.
i thanked them for their help, i got their sarcasm.

much arrogance and "i know what im saying, u do what i say" here, money and time spent, still my problem is there.

i clearly put my doubt about Virgin being a scam on my OP. what i got here was 8 pages of long notes about which router was the best to buy, how should i use super hub in modem mode and that i dont have the knowledge, and that i should trust some unknown dudes who claim they know everything.

my God.

if i knew better, i would just persuade my landlord to move away from Virgin t someone else, and we could have some working internet by now which is near Christmas time and i have lots of free time.

oh yeh, you guys know better.

Old 13-12-2015, 01:34   #130
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Post 13 on the first page of this long thread.

"However, rather than guessing what the problem is, we should approach this methodically and investigate before shelling out money."
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 01:48   #131
Deathcrush87
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Post 13 on the first page of this long thread.

"However, rather than guessing what the problem is, we should approach this methodically and investigate before shelling out money."
lol, the irony!

you for real?
didnt that guy argue with me that a £30 router does not cut it and that i have to get that £80 one in order to get the internet running? and that im a fool that i do not listen to him or im asking for a cheaper router?

didnt you give his posts a "+"?

forget the money, think about the time i spent trying to "resolve" things, trying to "figure out" things.

did i approach "this" un-methodically?
was there any advice here which was free? or not time consuming?

---------- Post added at 00:48 ---------- Previous post was at 00:46 ----------

as a matter of fact, i did everything i was told here as of the methodical approach, what i did not commit myself to do was opening up my wallet!