Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The 5p bag charges...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The 5p bag charges...

Old 27-12-2018, 09:11   #136
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The 5p bag charges...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
Some years ago Homebase changed to paper bags but now the only use plastic bags.

I doubt if charging 10p per bag will have much effect but changing 50p or more for a plastic bag would have an effect.
No it wouldn’t. Not even if they charged a pound.

Because if i needed a bag and didn’t have one, i’d Still pay it.
Old 27-12-2018, 09:33   #137
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Yes but now the reusable bags become cheaper in relation to the "single use bag" - not that we single use those anyway. If single use bags are 10p(50p) and strong bags are 50p you'd be daft to pay for single use bags.

So you buy more multi-use bags which you would keep, fuller cupboard, safer dolphins/turtles/name critter of choice.
Old 27-12-2018, 10:15   #138
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I have seen some rebels using the shop's wire baskets to carry their shopping to their car. Then the whole thing goes in, basket and all.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 10:38   #139
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I have seen some rebels using the shop's wire baskets to carry their shopping to their car. Then the whole thing goes in, basket and all.
Some people will always not adhere to any the normal rules that the vast majority of people follow.
Old 27-12-2018, 11:31   #140
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I think a lot of people keep some in the boot of their car too.
I do that, i reuse them till they fall apart ,it's not that i'm Eco friendly,it's just i can't bring myself to keep buying bags
Old 27-12-2018, 11:42   #141
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
No it wouldn’t. Not even if they charged a pound.

Because if i needed a bag and didn’t have one, i’d Still pay it.
But you would be in the minority Pierre. Nor can I imagine that we'd see many £1 plastic bags blowing around all over the place and that alone is a good reason why charging for plastic bags is a success.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 11:59   #142
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Sainsbury's sent me a nice woven shopping bag as a Christmas gift that's actually made from 4 plastic bottles. Ultimate re-cycling.
Old 27-12-2018, 12:17   #143
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

If I go shopping on foot, I wear a backpack. If I take the car, there are always rugged bags in the boot. And I wash them from time to time too in case of contamination. And so it has been since many years before the bag charge (which I've never paid).

But since the charge started, I have seen more people buying rolls of single-use bags as bin-liners. So have we reduced plastic bag use, or just moved the costs to consumers instead of supermarkets?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 22:40   #144
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

This comment may annoy some members. But, why should l have to pay for a plastic bag to put shopping in.

If, l spend over £10.00 on goods, why should l have to pay 50p for a plastic bag. I have already paid over the odds for goods. And the biggest problem is that small shops have now cottoned on to the charge.

Yes, we whould have paper bags, but l am certain in afew years. We will have stupid campaigners out there to say that paper bags destroy the environment.

In fact my council wont collect certain plastic bags. How stupid

This country has gone totally made on what is happening to the environment.

What we should do is ban all vehicles on the street, which will make cyclists happy. Ban all plastics in the world, ban all paper in case it causes problem.

What else can l think off.

This country needs to grow up. Its just a way of bringing in another stupid tax that we will have to pay.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 11:12   #145
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Arthur, the shops have to buy their plastic bags just as they have to buy the baked beans to put on their shelves. They sell you the beans, so why shouldn’t they sell you the bag?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 12:30   #146
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
This comment may annoy some members. But, why should l have to pay for a plastic bag to put shopping in.

If, l spend over £10.00 on goods, why should l have to pay 50p for a plastic bag. I have already paid over the odds for goods. And the biggest problem is that small shops have now cottoned on to the charge.

Yes, we whould have paper bags, but l am certain in afew years. We will have stupid campaigners out there to say that paper bags destroy the environment.

In fact my council wont collect certain plastic bags. How stupid

This country has gone totally made on what is happening to the environment.

What we should do is ban all vehicles on the street, which will make cyclists happy. Ban all plastics in the world, ban all paper in case it causes problem.

What else can l think off.

This country needs to grow up. Its just a way of bringing in another stupid tax that we will have to pay.
Where are you getting 50p from?

Also it's really not a big deal, remember to take bags with you when going shopping.
Old 28-12-2018, 13:04   #147
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Also it's really not a big deal, remember to take bags with you when going shopping.

As I said In a [revious post I have 8 heavy bags from Tesco & Sainsbury, along with a thermos bags.

I put them in the boot when done, but sometimes like Christmas some are in the shed with food & drink in, and I don't have enough when I do the normal shop, but bulky stuff stays in the basket.

There are occasions when I don't have any bags. But will not buy a5/10p bag as they fall apart to easily.
Old 28-12-2018, 20:27   #148
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Arthur, the shops have to buy their plastic bags just as they have to buy the baked beans to put on their shelves. They sell you the beans, so why shouldn’t they sell you the bag?
True, but that choice has been taken away from them.
They are being forced to charge 5p/10p, whether they want to, or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Ken W mentioned 50p, Post #135.

"Take bags with you" is easy to say, not always so easy to do, or remember.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 21:00   #149
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

True, but Arthur’s beef appears to be with supermarkets charging for the heavy duty reusable bags that the supermarkets have never given away for free.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote