Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Reasonable wish list to ask Virgin Media contractors

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Reasonable wish list to ask Virgin Media contractors

Old 08-10-2015, 13:00   #1
Falkor
cf.member

Falkor is an unknown quantity at this point
Reasonable wish list to ask Virgin Media contractors

Hi all
My VM broadband install is next week and I was wondering if anyone might be able to comment on a few questions I have about the install. I’m in a Victorian house converted into 4 flats, with three other flats that have existing telco/broadband installations (some of which may be redundant – don’t know which). Please excuse the long windedness, but hopefully any answers might help anyone else in my position.

Starting at where the Siamese cables enter the property from the pavement outside, there are multiple exposed cables without mech protection, prone to being damaged by the public. I can’t even see a swept tee/cover on the pavement. The cable pulling guys came on Monday and have grouped a length of cable (my new cable) with some existing ones, squashing them all between our failing brickwork and next door’s. They’ve coiled the remainder of the new cable up, ready for the installers.
>>>Please see pic1.

All the existing Siamese pairs (I counted 3) have been run from the street, through the front border wall (with my one now added - as above pic1) up to the external wall of the house 6M away. They run along the fence boundary with next door. As there are a few trees along the boundary, (but no fence) all the cables, including some that look like BT’s, have been pretty much laid above ground and woven through the trees by previous installers. One of the Siamese runs (in green conduit), has then been taken to about 1/3rd of the way across the side path (access to the back of the property) and buried alongside the other badly run cables and then cemented in. This is a trip hazard.
>>>Please see pic 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

There are two Nynex Omniboxes installed (odd, considering there are 3 Siamese cables into the property – one too few?) and the state of their installation/neglect is laughable. The Omnibox doors are open and they’re filthy and wet and have haphazard cable routing. I can guarantee that none of the other flat owners have ever touched them (such is their interest in IT), so I can only assume that they were left in this state by the last cable engineer that visited.
>>>Please see pic4 and 6.

My pre-install visit is this Saturday and the install date is the Friday after. I’m hoping to discuss all of the points set out below, on Saturday, to get it sorted. I really need to work out what the guys are contracted to do mandatorily (e.g. sort out trip hazard), what they are obliged to do for a standard install and what they are able to do if I ask nicely and say pretty please .

Ideally, I would like to change the following, or at least find out how realistic my wish list is before the VM visit:
1) Make the exposed cable disappear from the pavement (pic1) at least by protecting it with a steel cover.
2) Remove the trip hazard (green conduit that joins cable burial half way across path).
3) Remove any unused cables or redundant Omniboxes and reinstate or replace those that need to be.
4) Prepare a sensible route/method of protection for my new install’s Siamese cable, ready for when the installer livens it up and connects it to my new Omnibox.

OK, so here goes, these are my questions:
1) Looks like the cable pulling guys have declared their work ready for the install guys to go ahead. Surely the brief isn’t to leave it as it is?
Would the install guys be able to tidy this up on the day or do the pulling guys need to visit again to sort it first? I’ve seen loads of other installs with this issue, but don’t understand why the customer puts up with it.

2) This looks like a bitch of a job for anyone to break up the concrete covering, find enough slack for all the parallel cables to be side by side (adding my new one) then re-bury it all to leave a clear gangway. Is this a “do it on install day” job? I’m going to clear the mound of earth to left in the picture (pic1) before the visit to help out.

3) Anyone know if there should be one Omnibox per customer. Shouldn’t each one be an individual customer’s demarcation point? Surely if that’s not the case, my neighbours in other flats might suffer service down time while this spaghetti is tidied up? Is it unreasonable for me to ask that I have an Omnibox solely for my service to avoid this? Do you reckon the guys could either get shot of the old unused gear on the day, or let me know what is now redundant so that I can uninstall it myself?

4) Regarding my new 6M run of Siamese from the front border wall (closest to pavement) to the house, I would like it to be buried, safe and as out of sight as possible (as you do). My understanding is that this run should be either stapled to a convenient fence or buried about a foot deep. However, I also understand that if there is a concrete driveway or the like, that needs traversing, left to their own devices, a rough installer can get away with just leaving the cable in green conduit loose on the surface of the concrete or paving and use bubble gum or Blu-Tack to secure it (if you’re lucky). Bearing this in mind, if I dug my own small trench to facilitate a run from/to necessary end points, would the installers utilise it if I asked them nicely? Does anyone know if there’s a downside to me doing this apart from my swearing and sweating a bit whilst digging?

Anyone’s thoughts would be highly appreciated, thanks a lot,

Falkor
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg pic1.jpeg (142.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpeg pic2.jpeg (153.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpeg pic3.jpeg (155.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpeg pic4.jpeg (125.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpeg pic5.jpeg (155.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpeg pic6.jpeg (151.0 KB, 47 views)
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2015, 13:09   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Reasonable wish list to ask Virgin Media contractors

In extreme brief: the installers have very full diaries and next to no time for extras. They won't do any of the routing, tidying or burying you're hoping for. If there are potential health and safety issues then you need to deal with them as a separate complaint to VM, involving your landlord or the local council as necessary.

If you want to facilitate a swift and tidy install within your property, then the installer will be delighted to find you have lifted floorboards, installed conduit, or any other similar aids. If you don't do any of that, he will tack the cable round the wall.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 14:13   #3
Falkor
cf.member

Hi Chris, thanks for that succinct reply which was refreshing brief compared with my perhaps overly long post. What you have said answers a lot of my questions, thanks. I wonder if the very full diaries are because of the snagging that has to be done (rhetorical).

So in essence, I'm on my own. I now get the feeling that I need to find out how to sort out the trip hazard ASAP to avoid my install being delayed because actually, there is no other route for the cables to run. If anyone has had experience with sorting the other aspects of my post out it would be great if you could let us know -cheers.
Old 10-10-2015, 15:43   #4
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

The contrctors will not touch any cables not relating to YOUR install, anything extra to YOUR install will need to be as mentioned conplained about on a seperate level...

and at this time of year the diaries are full because of students and the run up to christmas not because of repairs... (usually this is another department)

...experience - i used to do 2man work...
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 19:19   #5
Falkor
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
The contrctors will not touch any cables not relating to YOUR install, anything extra to YOUR install will need to be as mentioned conplained about on a seperate level...

and at this time of year the diaries are full because of students and the run up to christmas not because of repairs... (usually this is another department)

...experience - i used to do 2man work...
Thanks for clarifying that DJ. Also good to get the heads up about the increase in workload before Christmas. I met with the contractors on Saturday and it was a good talk. They put me in the picture as to how these queries can be handled and I think we're reading from the same hymn book now. If it's OK with everyone, I write up how these issues were tackled after my install to share my experience. There don't seem to be many posts in the Virgin Media Installation Issues section of the site and hopefully this will be a useful contribution. Cheers all.