Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New Tv

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

New Tv

Old 15-10-2015, 14:28   #16
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: New Tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth View Post
One disadvantage of taking away the front speaker grilles (pretty much every TV these days is just a screen and narrow bezel) - it really has not done the sound much good.

They used to call TV sound "the poor relation" some time ago, but if anything, it's got worse in the super slim models of today.
If you care a lot about sound quality you wouldn't be using TV speakers in the first place. I for one am glad they stopped wasting space for junk I will never use.

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Judge for yourself
I judge the old TV to be 987x666x271mm and the new to be 1086x705x308mm

I would not call that "without increasing the overall size" given it's wider, taller, and thicker.

Quote:
I suppose another factor is that more people do buy the soundbars and surround sound systems now for TVs. Not much point building in fantastic speakers when they'll just get disabled
^^ This. I don't even have a TV and I have several surround sound systems.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-10-2015, 14:42   #17
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I judge the old TV to be 987x666x271mm and the new to be 1086x705x308mm

I would not call that "without increasing the overall size" given it's wider, taller, and thicker
Fair enough, my bad. It seemed to fit into the same space
Old 15-10-2015, 20:39   #18
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
If you care a lot about sound quality you wouldn't be using TV speakers in the first place. I for one am glad they stopped wasting space for junk I will never use.
Agreed, we got a 5.1 Philips Soundbar and its the third best purchase we have made for our entertainment. First being the 4k panny and second the media PC I built.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 15:46   #19
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Not in the market until our 28" Sony WEGA CRT model stops and that could be some time. Then too many newer TV's are just too big, don't want much bigger than 32" the way we have our room orientated. And can I still see the picture at near 70-80 degrees, OK I can't see much on the current one but I can still see something.

More seriously am looking for something to attach VHD box in back room. This would be small (22-24") as room is very small and would be viewed at sort of desktop distances.
Old 16-10-2015, 16:10   #20
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post

More seriously am looking for something to attach VHD box in back room. This would be small (22-24") as room is very small and would be viewed at sort of desktop distances.
I got a 19" 720P Digimate TV/DVD combo for the kitchen a while ago. Plays CDs and memory cards, has SCART, HDMI, USB and a VGA inputs. Cheap as chips and works well. Only downside is it doesn't have the HD tuner for freeview only the standard one.
Old 16-10-2015, 16:53   #21
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Not in the market until our 28" Sony WEGA CRT model stops and that could be some time. Then too many newer TV's are just too big, don't want much bigger than 32" the way we have our room orientated. And can I still see the picture at near 70-80 degrees, OK I can't see much on the current one but I can still see something.

If it is space you're talking about then you will find you can increase the picture size more than 32in due to virtually no bezel on a lot of new tvs, so would fit in the same space.
Old 19-10-2015, 01:04   #22
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Judge for yourself

Old TV http://www.techspot.com/products/tvs...-40c750.52256/

New TV http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-ue48h6400-review

---------- Post added at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

Luckily they do seem to getting a bit fatter again than they were. Samsung especially went full on with the Edge lit thing for a while, but with the move local dimming in the higher end TVs, they have had to increase the size again to include all the LEDs.

I suppose another factor is that more people do buy the soundbars and surround sound systems now for TVs. Not much point building in fantastic speakers when they'll just get disabled
Problem is, the base of some is not soundbar friendly - the Samsung's 4 leg spider takes up a lot of space - maybe a good 2.1 PC set would fit better - or maybe a soundbar could be semi hidden at the back - hmm, might measure that up.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote