Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Audio issues - loud and scrambled after pause

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Audio issues - loud and scrambled after pause

Old 30-09-2015, 09:42   #1
Rewrew
Inactive

Services: TV: XL, Internet: XXL, Phone: XL
Rewrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Audio issues - loud and scrambled after pause

We have a TiVo that routes through a Yamaha RX-V673 receiver via HDMI for the audio. This set-up has worked flawlessly for a number of years. The TiVo was replaced due to a hard drive failure early this year but the replacement unit continued to perform flawlessly. The same receiver also has audio inputs from a blu ray player and an Amazon Fire TV box. In the last month or so (I can't be precise) we have discovered that when we pause the TiVo and restart it the audio blasts out loud and scrambled. It is quite unpleasant. If I switch the HDMI input away from the Tivo and then back again the audio is restored to normal. The fault doesn't exist on either of the other two input devices. I have replaced the HDMI lead on the off chance even though I couldn't think why that would make a difference.

So the questions are: is there any difference to the encoded output from the TiVo that might explain the fault? Have you any suggestions on how to determine if it is the receiver or TiVo that is causing the fault?

REWREW
Rewrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-09-2015, 11:16   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Audio issues - loud and scrambled after pause

Is there a volume levelling control in use? The sort that makes quieter periods louder and loud periods quieter (if you see what I mean).
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 11:49   #3
Rewrew
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Is there a volume levelling control in use? The sort that makes quieter periods louder and loud periods quieter (if you see what I mean).
Thanks but that isn't the issue. The sound isn't just loud, it is totally scrambled. Almost as if an incorrect decoding algorithm is being applied. Yet switch input away from TiVo and then back and all is OK.

Do any of the more technical users here know if there has been any form of update on the TiVo recently that has changed the digital audio output stream whilst the TiVo is paused?
Old 30-09-2015, 11:54   #4
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe another effect of this? http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...y-digital.html
steveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:52   #5
Rewrew
Inactive

Update...

Although the tech from VM couldn't isolate the exact cause of the problem during a recent visit (and naturally the problem didn't occur during his visit), he did offer to replace the box. It is early days yet but so far the replacement box hasn't exhibited the same problem.

The old box was 1Tb and 70% to 80% full. Does the TiVo box have any form of disk housekeeping built in or might file fragmentation have contributed to the problem? I am sure that V+ Box allowed user instigated de-fragmentation.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:43   #6
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

70 to 80% is very full and of course the drive in fact will always be running on 100% full as files aren't deleted until space is needed. I did a short test on my 1TB Tivo which when it is idle I have been able to hear the drive moving. I deleted permanently all the recently deleted files so the drive was then only 40% full. I could not then hear the drive working as it was drowned out by the clock that is just above it. Draw your own conclusion from this. Perhaps someone can say how quickly the disc fill up again just from the continuous recording from the 3 tuners?
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote