Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cancelling a mobile phone contract early?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cancelling a mobile phone contract early?

Old 29-09-2015, 11:26   #1
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Cancelling a mobile phone contract early?

I am currently in a 24month T-mobile contract bought through buymobilephones.net, and would like to come out of the contract 12 months early and move to a pay as you go tariff

As i have never done this before could anyone give me a rough idea how much i would have to pay to get out of a contract early before i phone up as i am sure it is similar for all providers, i currently pay around £35 a month?

Thanks for any help.
Old 29-09-2015, 11:52   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Cancelling a mobile phone contract early?

If it's a standard tariff then for most mobile providers it's a simple calculation of 12 x £35. So £420 to end your contract early.

There are differences for those who are on the split handset / tariff contracts such as O2 Refresh or Virgin Media's Freestyle options.
Old 29-09-2015, 11:54   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
If it's a standard tariff then for most mobile providers it's a simple calculation of 12 x £35. So £420 to end your contract early.

There are differences for those who are on the split handset / tariff contracts such as O2 Refresh or Virgin Media's Freestyle options.
I didn't think it would be so expensive! There is no benefit to coming out the contract early then.

Thanks for the reply i guess i need to phone up at some point then.
Old 30-09-2015, 16:25   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I was going to cancel my T-Mobile contract 3 months early, but I would have had to pay so I decided to keep the phone and get a new contact elsewhere.

They phoning up and telling them your not happy and see if you can drop your price.
Old 30-09-2015, 17:10   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Did you have to pay 3 full months?
Old 30-09-2015, 20:12   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I let the contract just expire as I would have to pay either way so I just let the 3 months pass and kept the phone in my car as an emergency.
Old 01-10-2015, 19:08   #7
Scary
Inactive

Services: Size XL 120mg BB Tivo box v+ box
Scary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of societyScary is a pillar of society

You are best waiting until your upgrade date then changing it to a sim only deal you get a better rate than what you would on a pay as you go on a 30 day rolling contract
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 19:40   #8
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

When I last upgraded to iPhone 6, I worked out that it would save about £200 over two years buying the phone outright and taking a sim only deal.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 20:29   #9
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

My sisters family all have Virgin pay monthly (around £8) they choose that because they get free calls to Virgin phones.
Old 01-10-2015, 23:34   #10
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I don't really use my LG G3 for calls or texts, just use it for the internet on WiFi, so this is the reason I want to move to pay as you go on it and save £35 a month, shame I will have to wait a year though!