Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Fibre without line rental?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Fibre without line rental?

Old 05-09-2015, 20:50   #16
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age
Re: Fibre without line rental?

Cheers - having had a think about it yes 50mb may be OK - its going through a switch to 3 thee (adult) kids rooms and they only get 50mb speeds, I'm the only one that's actually fully wired into the router and get 152mb lol

Our plan is to ditch all services except fibre and stream with a dongle all tv services apart from freeview.

Given what just fibre costs IMO doing this may not save us as much as we think.
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2015, 21:24   #17
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Sadly it wouldn't help you in any way.

Your line wouldn't be terminated at that cabinet it would go on to the exchange unless you ordered FTTC.

If you ordered FTTC your order would be rejected as you are too far from the cabinet to get a signal over that technology.

If Openreach deployed ADSL / ADSL 2 from cabinet it wouldn't help you either. They have to do things with power masks to avoid drowning out broadband from the exchange.

You wouldn't even get a land line now if your property were built today. If you are getting over 2Mb you won't be a priority, that's the lower limit under the universal service commitment. Your only option for faster is probably satellite.
I can understand why they would refuse to put a line in to a new build 8km from anywhere, but we do have neighbours, and all the developable land around here is within about 200 metres of the 50-pair cable that runs back to the exchange.

I did look at satellite, but usage caps, high latency and high monthly costs are putting me off. To be honest, so long as our 2Mb is stable - and it is, for now - its fast enough for our needs.

Oddly enough our community council newsletter dropped through the door yesterday. They are aware that most people around here are on EO lines and that a little extra campaigning may be required in order to make the most of the Infinity work scheduled for the exchange late next year.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 13:35   #18
jobbie8
cf.addict

Services: BB 250MB, SKY Stream, Netfix, Disney+, Discovery+, AppleTV+,YouTube Premium, Paramount+
jobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nice

£30.25 for 50MB, when did that go up?
It was £28 last time I looked, my son pays £26.50 for his.
jobbie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 13:01   #19
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Sadly it wouldn't help you in any way.

Your line wouldn't be terminated at that cabinet it would go on to the exchange unless you ordered FTTC. That wouldn't help. Openreach will not change the way anyone is connected. If an EO line now, that's the way it will stay regardless, unless they change their policy which they have no intention of at present.

If you ordered FTTC your order would be rejected as you are too far from the cabinet to get a signal over that technology.

If Openreach deployed ADSL / ADSL 2 from cabinet it wouldn't help you either. They have to do things with power masks to avoid drowning out broadband from the exchange.

You wouldn't even get a land line now if your property were built today. If you are getting over 2Mb you won't be a priority, that's the lower limit under the universal service commitment. Your only option for faster is probably satellite.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 21:37   #20
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

I have seen £5 + £16 line rental being offered.
So I'll be having a chat with them when I leave (tv services) which I certainly will be doing come feb.

This amazon fire with kodi on is excellent
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 22:37   #21
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

pricing and terms have been changed on that uswitch deal. details here > http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...b-10-16-a.html
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 09:36   #22
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobbie8 View Post
£30.25 for 50MB, when did that go up?
It was £28 last time I looked, my son pays £26.50 for his.
I pay £25 for my 152mbits
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 13:03   #23
linwelin
cf.addict

linwelin is on a distinguished roadlinwelin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I pay £25 for my 152mbits
£25 for only BB ?
linwelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 19:41   #24
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

not standalone, we have got phone and tv as well so cumulatively it all comes to a lot more. We went for it a few years ago when 100mbits first came out because they specifically advertised the package as 100mbits (XXL) as only being £25 when taken with bla bla. Obviously there have been a few £1.75 price increases (or whatever it is) on the package since then but it is there or there abouts.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 12:44   #25
InsaneNutter
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 200mbit / Superhub 3 Modem / pfSense Firewall
InsaneNutter is an unknown quantity at this point

We were on £30 for 100meg (now 152meg) however the price went up £10 within the space of two months. So i guess we're basically paying the standard price according to the Virgin website again.
Old 15-09-2015, 19:19   #26
kandinsky
cf.member

kandinsky is an unknown quantity at this point

I downgraded from Big Kahuna and 152 mb BB with phone with evening / weekend calls to basic phone and 50mb BB.
I am now paying £19-50 a month for this and only use the phone at the weekends. They wanted £25 for 50 mb BB only. Was cheaper to take the phone as well.

kandinsky is offline   Reply With Quote