Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Zumba Classes For NHS Staff To Cut Sickness [I think its too late]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Zumba Classes For NHS Staff To Cut Sickness [I think its too late]

Old 04-09-2015, 11:17   #16
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Zumba Classes For NHS Staff To Cut Sickness [I think its too late]

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
They could soon turn that around by not paying for absences for a 'no specified' sickness absence.

All staff ought to be obliged to speak to an occupational health nurse when reporting sick, to receive information and guidance on their symptoms. The first three days of sickness should be unpaid.

That package of measures, together with a proper system to monitor and limit the number of short term absences before action is taken will resolve this problem.

Unfortunately, this is unlikely to happen without government intervention of some sort because NHS Human Resources departments are too weak.
Mmmm.. so we've added "NHS workers are skivers" in addition to the "poor are scoungers" .. nice
Old 04-09-2015, 12:44   #17
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee View Post
My previous gf was a nurse, had been in the position about 3 years, very hard working and never off sick. She was called into the office one day (This was 10 years ago) and asked why she hadn't used any sick days, she was then told that she needed to take some of these sick days.

It appears that sick day entitlement was treated like additional holidays by most nurses in that trust, and someone not taking them reflected badly on the others.
Astounding.....
Old 08-09-2015, 09:41   #18
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

I prescribe a dose of self employment to treat absence due to sickness, especially when the reasons are unspecified. It's highly effective.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 21:05   #19
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I am all for improving accomodation costs and parking costs, but the nhs giving out pay increases is the last thing they can afford at the moment, and last I checked the current levels of pay are quite good anyway.
https://www.rcn.org.uk/support/pay_a...-rates-2015-16

Quote:
The minimum starting salary for a registered nurse is £21,692. To calculate your hourly rate divide your annual basic salary by 52.14 and then by 37.5.
Millions of people would love a 21k salary.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 21:43   #20
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

But would they be willing to undertake a 3 year course to get it?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 00:21   #21
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

no idea, but the wage is reasonable regardless.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:33   #22
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Meh, seems at or slightly below average for graduates according to this - http://www.graduates.co.uk/graduate-...es-in-2013-14/
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:41   #23
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Nurses know full well what the wages are before they sign up. Then as soon as they qualify they moan about it. The worse thing they did was to introduce the nursing degree.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:53   #24
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I am all for improving accomodation costs and parking costs, but the nhs giving out pay increases is the last thing they can afford at the moment, and last I checked the current levels of pay are quite good anyway.
https://www.rcn.org.uk/support/pay_a...-rates-2015-16

Millions of people would love a 21k salary.
Although this is not far off the incoming National Living Wage which is £14,227 rising to £17,784 in 4 years time. 21K does not seem unreasonable for work they do ..
Old 09-09-2015, 11:10   #25
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Nurses know full well what the wages are before they sign up. Then as soon as they qualify they moan about it. The worse thing they did was to introduce the nursing degree.
I tend to agree. Of course caring and academic qualifications aren't mutually exclusive but there's no doubt in my mind that something has been lost when it comes to the basics of caring within the NHS.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:17   #26
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Zumba classes my backside...

Genuine stress is underestimated and can be a killer, either suddenly or gradually. Zumba won't cure it, changing working practices, decent pay rates and being valued for the job they do would help. Trained nurses in particular have an absurdly low pay rate given the amount of responsibility they have; they are now carrying out procedures which only Dr's used to do and leading clinics . Being a woman dominated profession and not going on strike hasn't helped. They have been taken advantage of by successive governments and taken for granted by the public. No wonder they are stressed and there are recruitment problems.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote