Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub 2 & Online Gaming!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Superhub 2 & Online Gaming!

Old 01-08-2015, 06:28   #1
Bobby Dazzler
Inactive

Bobby Dazzler is an unknown quantity at this point
Superhub 2 & Online Gaming!

Im using the Superhub2 and have been having slight lag issues in Call of Duty on the PS3 for a while now.

I just wondered if using the the Superhub in modem mode along with another router might help and also if i just connect my PS3 via modem mode and see no difference then does this mean its pointless me even trying another router?

On a side note does anybody know if there there are any issues connecting 2 Xbox Ones to the Superhub2?

Thanks.
Bobby Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2015, 08:38   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Superhub 2 & Online Gaming!

I have been using the shub2 in modem mode with a proper router for over a year now and now had any issues at all and I play a lot of fps regularly. You can expect these sort of kick ups with the shubs because they aren't proper routers but rest assured that if you do buy a router, you won't have any problems at all. That is what routers are supposed to do and if they can't handle time critical traffic then nobody would buy them. Let us know if you would like some recommendations.

Shub1 had some major issues with the Xboxes but I haven't seen anything reported for shub2.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:41   #3
Bobby Dazzler
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I have been using the shub2 in modem mode with a proper router for over a year now and now had any issues at all and I play a lot of fps regularly. You can expect these sort of kick ups with the shubs because they aren't proper routers but rest assured that if you do buy a router, you won't have any problems at all. That is what routers are supposed to do and if they can't handle time critical traffic then nobody would buy them. Let us know if you would like some recommendations.

Shub1 had some major issues with the Xboxes but I haven't seen anything reported for shub2.
Thanks mate, yes i wouldnt mind some recommendations as i dont know where to start.

Just a couple of points though, first i dont want to go over board with the cost and second as the hub will be on show in the living room i cant have too many arials protruding or else i wont be able to enjoy my call of duty for the sound of my lady moaning about what an eyesore it is.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:08   #4
horseman
cf.geek

horseman has reached the bronze age
horseman has reached the bronze agehorseman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dazzler View Post
.....i can't have too many arils protruding or else i won't be able to enjoy my call of duty for the sound of my lady moaning about what an eyesore it is.
Good job she's not married to an Amateur Radio "Ham" then? I got rid of my first wife because she thought my constant CQ/Dx ing was some sort of erotic perversion! Once I showed her my 8" base loaded helical stub she was gone....
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:28   #5
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman View Post
Once I showed her my 8" base loaded helical stub she was gone....
Today's top tip
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 18:27   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dazzler View Post
Thanks mate, yes i wouldnt mind some recommendations as i dont know where to start
np dude. I'll offer you a couple of options and different prices. I would say the two key things to look for with routers these days is the brand and the wifi. There are some routers (e.g. the shub) that are just poorly made with cheap parts and poor designed software. It makes them very unstable, missing some features which you would think are common sense and generally they annoy you. Routers are like the electricity coming into your house, you aren't going to sit there and play with it, you just want the peace of mind that you know it is there and it is going to work. I understand your reluctance to spend a lot of money but the thing I always say to people is think about the cost of a router in proportion to your dependence on it. Some people might live by themselves and "turn on the pc" once or twice a week to check the emails and that is it. Others, like myself, need something completely dependable because it is in use 24/7. I game a lot, somebody is always on youtube or browsing, I do some beefy downloads during the night, we have got networked printers, tvs, sky, nas' etc and we couldn't use any of it without a solid router.
Bearing that in mind take a look at these:

Linksys EA2700 @ £45

Linksys EA6700 @ £80

Asus AC68u @ £130

You can stand proud if you own any of those routers. Linksys are a fantastic brand and I have had Linksys routers from day 1 for the last 15 or so years now. I have 8 different models and each one has worked perfectly and I have never had any problems. You will always see people complaining that their router has frozen and they have had to pull the power cable out the back and reboot it. I have never had to do that with my Linksys routers, they all sit there for months on end humming away quite happily and handle everything I throw at them. The only reason why some of them have been replaced over time is to keep up with technology. Although you will see pretty much every router you look at has gigabit ports, that doesn't mean you can download at that speed (even if your isp provisioned you for it). A lot of stuff goes into sending information back and forth across the internet and routers have what is called a "wan to lan throughput" which is basically how fast you can actually download stuff off the internet. As an example, I might have a 152mbit connection with VM and the want to lan throughput for my router might be 688mbits. In this scenario I know my router can more than handle my internet connection speed. The worst case scenario though (and this is true) is that you could buy some routers a couple of years ago which had "gigabit ports" but the wan to lan throughput was 98mbits. I can remember people posting on this forum saying VM had just upgraded them to 120mbits and they couldn't get above 100. Once we looked at the router we knew why. You don't need to worry about it though, things have taken off big time and any router you buy now will last you quite a few years. The wan to lan throughputs for the three routers I posted above are 341mbits, 942mbits, and 755mbits respectively.
The second and probably more important thing for you to look at is the wireless. A lot of people get confused about wireless performance and what to expect and it is important to remember that it is a two way relationship. You might buy a brand spanking new top of the range laptop and phone with ac wireless, but if you router can only handle n speeds then that is all you are going to get. The second and third routers I have linked to are both ac routers which is the latest wireless specification. You will probably only have n devices at the moment (laptops/printers/phones/tablets) but bearing in mind that you don't want to be buying a new router every two years, the thing you need to think about is what type of devices you use, how much you use them and are you likely to get new stuff. If you are tech savvy or have tech savvy children, you probably get new phones and games consoles every year and you will want an ac router so you can fully benefit from the new features your devices have to offer. Another thing to consider is that both Linksys routers have internal antennae which will suit you down to a t given your comments.

I know I haven't spoken about the Asus yet. I have never personally owned one but there are other IT gurus on this forum who have various Asus models and they are just as passionate about them as I am my Linksys routers. Both brands offer rock solid performance and very importantly, stability. The other thing I'll quickly mention is wireless range. Some routers (the shub again) can flout about wireless speed and being super duper, but the range sucks ass and as soon as you walk out the room your connection dies because it won't go through a wall or the floor. The other reason why Linksys and Asus are so good is because they have very good wireless range and I can get a great signal anywhere in my house and outside in the garden.

Taking all those things into consideration, brand quality, performance, stability, wireless speed and range, wan to lan throughput, the longevity and potential lifespan of the router (future proofing), I think the best one for you to go for is the second one I recommended, which is the Linksys ea6700. You might think £80 is a bit steep but it is a cracking router. The wan to lan throughput is massive and will surpass anything VM give you for many years to come. It is ac wireless so you know as far as technology goes that it is going to last you a few years and coupled with all that is a solid reliable router which isn't going to let you down. You can go for the first option and still be happy but the two things that would bother me is the wan to lan throughput and the wireless. VM are going to be banging speeds up to 300mbits soon and you would be pushing it on that router. The second thing is that if you do like keeping up with new phones are stuff then you would also be shooting yourself in the foot as far as the wireless speed goes.

Either option is good but I think the second one has so much more to offer for that little bit extra. Like said, think about how much it will get used and how much of your life will revolve around it (sad I know ). In the grand scheme of things the extra £30 for the next four years of use is peanuts.

Let us know if you do get a new one and what you choose. Having your own router is always better than an isp supplied one and there are some settings you can change which are a god send which you also can't do on isp supplied routers (which can literally lead to your connection dying).

Good luck.
Old 01-08-2015, 18:35   #7
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gba93 View Post
Today's top tip
Nah, she only went 'cos she found someone with a 9" one.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 19:28   #8
horseman
cf.geek

horseman has reached the bronze age
horseman has reached the bronze agehorseman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Nah, she only went 'cos she found someone with a 9" one.
Naw.... shame really but she wasn't into co-linears...
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 00:29   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman View Post
Naw.... shame really but she wasn't into co-linears...
Now you're getting kinky!
Old 06-08-2015, 22:07   #10
Harryn9000
cf.geek

Services: Virgin 500MB BB , VM V6 x2, XL tv, Xl Phone Superhub 3
Harryn9000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I have had a few problems with shub2 and Xbox ones VM forums is covered with ppl having same problem mate. Shub 1 I didn't have an issue with I would do what been suggested by others and get separate router
Harryn9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 16:11   #11
Bobby Dazzler
Inactive

Quote:
np dude. I'll offer you a couple of options and different prices. I would say the two key things to look for with routers these days is the brand and the wifi. There are some routers (e.g. the shub) that are just poorly made with cheap parts and poor designed software. It makes them very unstable, missing some features which you would think are common sense and generally they annoy you. Routers are like the electricity coming into your house, you aren't going to sit there and play with it, you just want the peace of mind that you know it is there and it is going to work. I understand your reluctance to spend a lot of money but the thing I always say to people is think about the cost of a router in proportion to your dependence on it. Some people might live by themselves and "turn on the pc" once or twice a week to check the emails and that is it. Others, like myself, need something completely dependable because it is in use 24/7. I game a lot, somebody is always on youtube or browsing, I do some beefy downloads during the night, we have got networked printers, tvs, sky, nas' etc and we couldn't use any of it without a solid router.
Bearing that in mind take a look at these:

Linksys EA2700 @ £45

Linksys EA6700 @ £80

Asus AC68u @ £130

You can stand proud if you own any of those routers. Linksys are a fantastic brand and I have had Linksys routers from day 1 for the last 15 or so years now. I have 8 different models and each one has worked perfectly and I have never had any problems. You will always see people complaining that their router has frozen and they have had to pull the power cable out the back and reboot it. I have never had to do that with my Linksys routers, they all sit there for months on end humming away quite happily and handle everything I throw at them. The only reason why some of them have been replaced over time is to keep up with technology. Although you will see pretty much every router you look at has gigabit ports, that doesn't mean you can download at that speed (even if your isp provisioned you for it). A lot of stuff goes into sending information back and forth across the internet and routers have what is called a "wan to lan throughput" which is basically how fast you can actually download stuff off the internet. As an example, I might have a 152mbit connection with VM and the want to lan throughput for my router might be 688mbits. In this scenario I know my router can more than handle my internet connection speed. The worst case scenario though (and this is true) is that you could buy some routers a couple of years ago which had "gigabit ports" but the wan to lan throughput was 98mbits. I can remember people posting on this forum saying VM had just upgraded them to 120mbits and they couldn't get above 100. Once we looked at the router we knew why. You don't need to worry about it though, things have taken off big time and any router you buy now will last you quite a few years. The wan to lan throughputs for the three routers I posted above are 341mbits, 942mbits, and 755mbits respectively.
The second and probably more important thing for you to look at is the wireless. A lot of people get confused about wireless performance and what to expect and it is important to remember that it is a two way relationship. You might buy a brand spanking new top of the range laptop and phone with ac wireless, but if you router can only handle n speeds then that is all you are going to get. The second and third routers I have linked to are both ac routers which is the latest wireless specification. You will probably only have n devices at the moment (laptops/printers/phones/tablets) but bearing in mind that you don't want to be buying a new router every two years, the thing you need to think about is what type of devices you use, how much you use them and are you likely to get new stuff. If you are tech savvy or have tech savvy children, you probably get new phones and games consoles every year and you will want an ac router so you can fully benefit from the new features your devices have to offer. Another thing to consider is that both Linksys routers have internal antennae which will suit you down to a t given your comments.

I know I haven't spoken about the Asus yet. I have never personally owned one but there are other IT gurus on this forum who have various Asus models and they are just as passionate about them as I am my Linksys routers. Both brands offer rock solid performance and very importantly, stability. The other thing I'll quickly mention is wireless range. Some routers (the shub again) can flout about wireless speed and being super duper, but the range sucks ass and as soon as you walk out the room your connection dies because it won't go through a wall or the floor. The other reason why Linksys and Asus are so good is because they have very good wireless range and I can get a great signal anywhere in my house and outside in the garden.

Taking all those things into consideration, brand quality, performance, stability, wireless speed and range, wan to lan throughput, the longevity and potential lifespan of the router (future proofing), I think the best one for you to go for is the second one I recommended, which is the Linksys ea6700. You might think £80 is a bit steep but it is a cracking router. The wan to lan throughput is massive and will surpass anything VM give you for many years to come. It is ac wireless so you know as far as technology goes that it is going to last you a few years and coupled with all that is a solid reliable router which isn't going to let you down. You can go for the first option and still be happy but the two things that would bother me is the wan to lan throughput and the wireless. VM are going to be banging speeds up to 300mbits soon and you would be pushing it on that router. The second thing is that if you do like keeping up with new phones are stuff then you would also be shooting yourself in the foot as far as the wireless speed goes.

Either option is good but I think the second one has so much more to offer for that little bit extra. Like said, think about how much it will get used and how much of your life will revolve around it (sad I know ). In the grand scheme of things the extra £30 for the next four years of use is peanuts.

Let us know if you do get a new one and what you choose. Having your own router is always better than an isp supplied one and there are some settings you can change which are a god send which you also can't do on isp supplied routers (which can literally lead to your connection dying).

Good luck.
Thanks for that mate, sorry for the slow responce had family matters to contend with.

Over the last couple of weeks ive done a bit of gaming when ive had the chance with the superhub in modem mode and cant tell any difference the lags still there.
Does this mean that i wont see any difference using another router as i would still be using the hub in modem mode?

Can i buy a basic modem anywhere that would work with virgin or do virgin supply them if requested?
Old 14-08-2015, 17:47   #12
General Maximus
Ran Away

If you are using a shub in modem mode, your pc is directly connect to the shub on port 1 as the sole device and you are still experiencing lag then getting a new router won't fix it for you; there are other issues afoot.
Although a modem is a modem, you can't buy your own (like you can a router) and use it on VM's network. There is some nitty gritty security stuff going on in the background and all modems (even when they supplied standalone ones) have to be VM supplied. These days everything is a shub in one form or another.

I think you should set up a TBB ping monitor because I am interested to see how pretty your graph is going to be. Once it is setup post it in here and we can look at it in real time.
Old 20-08-2015, 12:57   #13
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
If you are using a shub in modem mode, your pc is directly connect to the shub on port 1 as the sole device and you are still experiencing lag then getting a new router won't fix it for you; there are other issues afoot.
Although a modem is a modem, you can't buy your own (like you can a router) and use it on VM's network. There is some nitty gritty security stuff going on in the background and all modems (even when they supplied standalone ones) have to be VM supplied. These days everything is a shub in one form or another.

I think you should set up a TBB ping monitor because I am interested to see how pretty your graph is going to be. Once it is setup post it in here and we can look at it in real time.
Don't forget to configure the S/H to respond to pings.