Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upload Limit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Upload Limit

Old 30-07-2015, 14:29   #16
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Upload Limit

I'm saying ISPs allocate, at the high end, 1Mb/s per customer, and half that or less at the low end.

Nothing about contention ratios.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-07-2015, 14:37   #17
horseman
cf.geek

horseman has reached the bronze age
horseman has reached the bronze agehorseman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
I'm saying ISPs allocate, at the high end, 1Mb/s per customer, and half that or less at the low end.

I think your comment about penis's pricked his thought patterns..... and quite understandably has taken it personally!
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 14:39   #18
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:

Well 1Mbps allocation per 152Mbps customer gives a contention ratio.

Still, a lot better than the 64k-128k per customer major ISPs were allocating per customer ten years ago.

8-16x increase in design capacity with a 10-20x increase in speed isn't too bad.

---------- Post added at 14:39 ---------- Previous post was at 14:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman View Post
I think your comment about penis's pricked his thought patterns..... and quite understandably has taken it personally!

Leave my penis out of this.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 17:32   #19
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I see it as a give and take situation.

A isp gets benefits for been able to advertise unlimited usage 24/7 with no slowdowns, some isps do just that.

Obviously the downside of making those claims is of course they will have heavy users on their networks, and my opinion is those isp's have to eat the cost or change what they offering. The odd heavy user will lose money, but thats made up by the many users who have a connection idle or close to idle the vast majority of the time.

How high a contention ratio needs to be for it to be noticeable is obviously an ever changing figure and probably varies from one location to the next, but it is interesting to see from ignition's figures an estimated level of current contention ratio levels.

I cant help feel tho BT's recent network issues are timed to when they started spending silly money on football rights, so it wouldnt surprise me if there was budget cuts to help pay for those rights.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:06   #20
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Quote:
No ISP can sustain that level of usage if too many customers do it. The services are cheap because they are oversubscribed.

BT do actually have problems, incidentally, and their infrastructure wasn't built to cope. Earlier this year they had 15% of their network running outside of planned levels

I have had 3 sets of capacity issues with my FTTC since last year, one at a BT metro node, one on an SVLAN running from this exchange, and one due to congestion at BT's 21CN core sites.

If every ISP had to sell only what they could guarantee we'd all be paying what we are now for 500k - 1Mb.

I know what you're saying but it's a completely unrealistic argument.
What I meant by built to cope was that it was built to cope with a number of users going made with the rest not. That's why I've always got full speed out of my connection bar the odd time when a network issue has existed and it's been pitifully slow.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote