Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Plaster Casting

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Plaster Casting

Old 29-05-2015, 14:47   #1
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf
Red face Plaster Casting

Hi Guys,

I'm working on making casts of various things i'm making from Clay. Ive made my Silicone mould and I'm torn between casting in Polyeurethane or Herculite Plaster. Polyeurethane is very expensive based on the size of what i'm casting, so I thought if I casted them in plaster it would be more cost effective, however...

These casts will be outdoors and i'm not convinced Herculite will stand upto the elements, so is it possible that there is something liquid that i can paint over it, that will keep the detail, yet harden to give a protective barrier like plastic? Preferably something that will not be opaque, as i'd like to paint the cast first.

Would perhaps polyeurethane do this if i got the translucent variety?
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-05-2015, 14:49   #2
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Plaster Casting

What about PVA?

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/pvaadhesive.htm
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 15:09   #3
Barewolf
Inactive

Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one

maybe but im not convinced PVA will withstand that much of the elements, few hot days and it would probably burn it off.
Old 29-05-2015, 15:44   #4
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Plaster for outdoors? Why not concrete?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 15:56   #5
Barewolf
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Plaster for outdoors? Why not concrete?
Because they are ornaments im making in clay first then making a master mould, concrete wouldnt give the detail, thats why it has to be resin or plaster as they bring out the details.
Old 29-05-2015, 16:18   #6
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barewolf View Post
maybe but im not convinced PVA will withstand that much of the elements, few hot days and it would probably burn it off.
I was thinking more about mixing the PVA in with the plaster than just coating the ornaments with it.

http://olivierduhamel.hubpages.com/h...for-moldmakers
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 19:17   #7
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barewolf View Post
Because they are ornaments im making in clay first then making a master mould, concrete wouldnt give the detail, thats why it has to be resin or plaster as they bring out the details.
A neighbour and friend makes excellent concrete statues and things like planting troughs. Great detail too, it all depends on the mould I think. He did tell me that you have to let the concrete "age" to purge any moisture or they will crack during the first frosts.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote